Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What toothpaste do you use? (Read 15847 times)
PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
What toothpaste do you use?
04/13/12 at 08:14:05

Being salicylate sensitive I have been unable to use toothpaste for almost a year.  I have been using baking soda, it does a really good job, but my dentist told me it is going to wear away my enamel. Undecided  So any salicylate sensitive people...what do you use?  For everyone else, I can't use anything mint, artificial colors yellow 6 and red 40. No artificial flavors. No cinnamon.  No tea  (Japan has green tea toothpaste). Any ideas? Roll Eyes
It really shouldn't be this difficult to brush your teeth! Wink
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Re: What toothpaste do you use?
Reply #1 - 04/13/12 at 09:00:46

Pam:
I use Crest reg paste once a day, as that's all my stomach can handle then use Walgeen's mouth wash without alcohol, the other couple times a day. A little messy but haven't had any teeth issues since I started this. Orginally tried Crest 3 times a day but my stomach just couldn't take it & with my skin sensitivity, it also made my mouth burn too much. One thing I don't do is get the flouride treatment from the
dentist. After masto, the first time I went outside & threw up from it.
They also use the non-flavored paste to clean my teeth, then I've had no problems at dentist. I've got a very nice dentist & staff who although I'm weird don't make a big deal of my issues.
MikeV

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 04/13/12 at 09:46:55

My son also seems to be sensitive to salicylates, and had chronically inflamed gums. We found a plain toothpaste in Australia, his gums looked normal and healthy almost overnight when we switched to this from mint flavored toothpastes. I have not found another plain toothpaste that doesnt have any added flavors at all. If you are desperate to try an alternative you can order it from Australia via this website, but the shipping will be expensive.

http://www.greataussiefood.com.au/showProduct/SPPT

If you have a contact in Australia it is available at some Soul Pattinson chemists.

Ruth

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 04/13/12 at 09:57:39

There are many homemade toothpaste recipes on the internet.  (Google:  homemade toothpaste)  You can flavor them with any oil flavoring you like and can tolerate.

Joan

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #4 - 04/13/12 at 15:26:29

My family likes Nature's Gate toothpaste, especially the anise flavor:

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NGT019/ItemDetail

It doesn't have any mint, flouride, or sodium lauryl sulfate.  There are other non-mint flavors too if "black licorice" isn't your thing.  Tom's of Maine is another good brand.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Mousse
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Georgia
Reply #5 - 04/14/12 at 02:59:23

My brother in law is a dentist and said you can use baking soda as a rinse mixed with water to deodorize. You can also use peroxide. If you can't tolerate tooth paste you just need to brush longer 5 min. with a wet tooth brush. Have you used a tongue scraper? They work really well for removing bacteria.

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 04/14/12 at 13:24:46

I use biotin as my mouth is so dry from the antihistamines I use I also use the mouth wash

IP Logged

NickT
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 04/23/13 at 04:45:53

Having refined my diet and managed to bring my symptoms down it  has become clear toothpaste is a massive trigger for me.

the chemical products and even the natural ones. It is almost definitely the calcium in them. I can't even brush my teeth ffs.

I tried bicarb on it's own, but even that isn't too great.

Any suggestions?

IP Logged

NickT
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 04/26/13 at 00:09:11

This nightmare is getting worse for me.

I tried not brushing my teeth and just chewing parsely to freshen my breath. But that triggered my symptoms because it contains calcium most likely.

Don't know what to try now.

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #9 - 04/26/13 at 03:20:40

Nick, what symptoms do you get after using toothpaste? It sounds as if there are a few alternatives that are posted in this thread. You should give them a try.

For anyone with toothpaste issues: although you are for obvious reasons focused on your mast cell symptoms, you must not forget the importance of taking care of your body in regard to non mast cell issues. Our teeth are very important and it is imperative to take care of them. If your symptoms are mild from brushing, perhaps you need to increase your meds so that you can still take care of your teeth and use toothpaste. Also, be absolutely sure that it is the toothpaste and not something else that is bothering you. Mast cells are very tricky and certainly not like allergies in that an ingredient can bother you one day, but not the next. Now, if you are a shocker, you need to be more careful. So, for example, if shellfish were in toothpaste and I know that I go into anaphylaxis from shellfish all the time, then obviously I wouldn't use the toothpaste and would just keep googling alternatives until I found something that worked. If apples were in the toothpaste, and I generally mildly trigger from apples but don't shock from them, then I would use the toothpaste and be careful not to swallow any of it. Now, obviously my examples are ridiculous, but that is to get my point across. Although I am a shocker, I will still eat something that I know affects me mildly because I know that it won't be a big deal and the symptom will fade soon enough (or I could take an extra med if it didn't). So, if it were me, I would keep experimenting and trying toothpastes. (Now I will admit that I am obsessed with teeth brushing and brush my teeth multiple times during the day. Happily, I have terrific teeth and even at my age have only had 3 cavities ever. I know that is a result of the tooth brushing.)

Another thing to remember is that if you expect yourself to trigger from trying a toothpaste, you can think yourself into triggering. So, be careful with your assumptions to get a true evaluation. Just as we can talk our symptoms into calming down, we can talk them into acting up as well.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

NickT
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 04/26/13 at 07:21:20

When I brush my teeth now or even chewing on the parsely this morning I had thoughts in the back of my mind which felt like my body was expecting a reaction.

The bicarb symptoms are pressure and moving around feelings in my head and face. They last all day long. I tried bicarb 2 days in a row to make sure it wasn't calcium remaining in the system from the previous days but the symptom got worse.

Calcium causes similar symptoms, but even more severe and my face feels really hot. It seems the calcium carbonate in the natural toothpase was even worse.

These feelings in my face, weird as they are, are manageable. But along with them come headaches, inability to even read a web page, and most importantly they make me irritable and nasty as hell.

What I'm trying tomorrow is a brand new toothbrush with some homemade toothpaste of bicarb and coconut oil. Hopefully a smaller concentration of bicarb will remain within the trigger threshold.

I just need to hope that coconut oil won't trigger me.

I've felt brilliant at times in the last few years. I just can't work out why toothpaste has suddenly become such a big problem.

IP Logged

NickT
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 04/30/13 at 00:45:03

I found another toothpaste that does not contain calcium or bicarb. But I actually think the effects of toothpaste were being exacerbated by something else....

I use a neilmed sinus rinse kit which clears up my brain fog a bit and helps me to think more clearly. However, I fear I pay the long-term price....

Since not taking the sinus rinse for a few days, my symptoms are calming down. Phew - I can brush my teeth  Smiley

IP Logged

larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 05/03/13 at 10:11:41

Hey Pam,
I use a small amount of Tom's of Maine Silly Strawberry (for kids) twice a day and have had good luck.  I don't react to it even though I normally react to strawberries. As you know, I'm also sal sensitive and you and I share a lot of the same triggers.  Not sure if you would have the same luck or if you even want to chance testing it, but the strawberry did work for me when everything else was ruled out (and wow, do I react to mint!!!!).  
Larken

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #13 - 05/03/13 at 16:16:06

Hello Pam! I don't know what exactly was in my toothpaste but the skin on the entire inside of my lips and cheeks would peel after brushing my teeth. I finally switched my toothpaste a couple months ago to Tom's of Maine. No more skin peeling:)  I buy it from Kroger. Here is the list of ingrediants on it:

glycerin, water, calcium carbonate, hydrated silica, xylitol, Chondrus crispus (carrageenan), Gaultheria procumbens (wintergreen), leaf oil and other natural flavors, sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium bicarbonate, zinc citrate.

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #14 - 05/07/13 at 09:16:07

goldielove wrote on 04/14/12 at 13:24:46:
I use biotin as my mouth is so dry from the antihistamines I use I also use the mouth wash

Ditto for me.  The Biotene products do not have the sodium laurel sulfate that makes foam in the mouth and also tends to be drying.

The toothpaste contains:
Active ingredient
Sodium monoflurophosphate
Inactive ingredients
sorbital, glycerin, calcium pyrophosphate, water, hydrated silica, xylitol, silica, hydroxyethylcellulose, isoceteth-20, cellulose gum, flavor, sodim benzoate, lactoperoxidase, potassium thyocyanate, glucose oxidase, lysozyme, lactoferrin, calcium lactate  Contains milk and egg derivatives.

The mouthwash Bioten PBF oral rinse contains:
purified water, propylene glycol,xylitol, hydrogenated starch hydrolysate, poloxamer 407, hydroxyethylcellulose, sodium benzoate,flavor, benzoic acid, mutanase, disodium phosphate, zinc gluconate, lactoferrin, lysozyme, lactoperoxidase, potassium thyocyanate, aloe vera gel, calcium lactate, glucose oxidase, dextranase.  Contains milk and egg derivatives.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print