Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My son has had level 4 Crohn's for about 1 year...tryptase connection possible (Read 2285 times)
Maiysa
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

My son has had level 4 Crohn's for about 1 year...tryptase connection possible
03/29/12 at 14:03:48

I became curious about my sons terrible case of crohn's that he has been battling.  His stage four means that he has a fistula.  Anyhow, I just found several articles about how they are finding elevated tryptase levels in Crohn's patients with fistula related Crohn's disease.  I'm going to try to get him an appointment with the doc I have an appointment with in May. He is on Humira and it seems to be working, but so hard to take other meds with this type of injection.  But am going to research.  Too bad I didn't know about this years earlier, I'm sure we could have kept his disease to a lower stage.  But onward and upward.  At least I know now!   Smiley

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: My son has had level 4 Crohn's for about 1 year...tryptase connection possible
Reply #1 - 03/30/12 at 02:53:56

Maiysa,

Although it makes sense that we need to avoid our triggers in order to keep our disease calmer, there is nothing that proves that the disease will not progress by doing so.  

For those who are non-clonal MCAS, although the disease is genetic, supposedly the issue here is not the progression of the proliferation of the MCs, but that of the release of the mediators and the damage they can do.  

Fo those of us who are clonal, then there are those two issues to have to deal with that of the proliferation and the mediator release damage.  

However, for those who are non-clonal MCAS, there are no studies as yet, except for the one study on the liver problems, which even say what kind of damage the MC mediators are causing.   And for those who are clonal, there are no studies which tie the activity with the quantity of proliferation.  

So, it is all unknown territory, Maiysa!   You must not torture yourself with this.   What has happened, was going to happen anyway for there is no way to know what could or could not be, what is preventable versus inevitable.   We can all go down this path called, "If Iīd only known", but itīs absolutely 100% FRUITLESS and will not do anything but create grief and sadness for you.  And even if you could blame yourself or the doctors, itīs to no avail and will only cause you pain.  So, stop, please, torturing yourself over your sonīs situation.  I understand your feelings, but you must not cause yourself such psychological harm for it wonīt change a single thing.

How can I say this?   Because weīre finding masto in my children and I too can say this exact thing of, "If only Id known!"    What matters is NOW!!!

NOW that I know, I have changed everything from the way I look at my children when they get red or colds or things like headache, to the way I deal with those issues.   NOW, we keep in mind masto with everything that goes on in their lives be it activities with school or summer vacation, or be it foods and medications.  NOW, Iīve given instructions as to what to do if they feel bad.  NOW, Iīm talking with their doctors and trying to help them understand more about the disease.  

So, although we donīt  yet know where this disease will go or how it will affect our children, we are not helpless!   There is something we can do NOW and thatīs teach them and their doctors how to give them the best care possible.

Lisa

btw - one of my sons was diagnosed with proctitis and was bleeding from his rectum at age 19.  This was the ONLY sign of anything wrong.  Yet, he has responded beautifully to the treatment for the proctitis and is now taking Ketotifen every day.  He doesnīt need any other treatment except occaisional omeprazol when he gets gastritis.

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Maiysa
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: My son has had level 4 Crohn's for about 1 year...tryptase connection possible
Reply #2 - 03/30/12 at 05:37:14

Thanks Lisa,
I agree, no sense torturing myself.  I just feel bad for him, he was a young pro golfer and on his way to an awesome future and worked so hard since he was 10 to get there.  But this Crohn's took him down hard.  And he gets the flushing and other issues too.  I'm pretty positive he has a mast cell issue.  I don't want to put that on him, but he has promised to go get a tryptase test at least even though he is stubborn!  Smiley  He has such a good attitude and is back in college and has adapted to his new situation with his body.  He is more resilient than I've been, so that is so good for a mom to see.   I'm so sorry that you son had to go through that. Glad the medication is helping.  I think if we can get my son medicated, maybe it will slow his progression down.  I'm actually glad to know there might be some trigger or possible cause.  Not sure how much it will help his Crohn's but at least if something can help the flushing he gets that would help.  He has an appointment soon.  Thanks again for the non guilt pep talk!   Grin  You are very sweet to care!

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 03/30/12 at 06:13:04

Lisa always has GREAT info and she explains things so well Smiley My brain fog comes and goes--and when it comes, boy Im a bit of a moron LOL.

You know they told us for years that Masto didnt run in families--well our experience has been very different and finally NIH is getting into the picture and studying family lines with Mast Cell problems--and finding some really obvious Familial connections.

So, we do what we can to educate our loved ones about ourselves and the fact that it IS turning up in families, to keep an open eye to possibilities and start early treatment for those who have bad tempered mast cells Smiley

My own family is an active case in mast cell problems. I have one sister with Fibro, Diabetes type2, degenerative arthritis.

The other sister has Myelomas (3 operations to removes suspicious areas) she also has what she terms "IB" (we know what it really is dont we??) She also has TMJ and Diabetes type2.

My Grandson has multiple allergies, chronic urticaria where he rips into his skin itching,  chronic constipation--(he has been hospitalized for no bowel movement in 14 days and must take Miralax now), They told his Mom that he has abnormal liver enzymes and called it auto immune hepatitis--then the enzymes get better. He takes Benadryl usually twice a day to stop itching and making his legs look horrible.

My Father called me recently to tell me he has been in the hospital 4 times now with sudden anaphylaxis, he has no idea what caused it but he was in full blown shock each time.

Now my 25 year old son is complaining of "terrible stomach ulcers" where he has nausea, vomiting, weight loss and pain. He looks horrible, I was so upset, He had rings under his eyes, it affected his sleep and he just begged his Nurse Mom to "do something". I didnt have the heart to tell him it wasnt an ulcer.. I put him on Prilosec once a day at night, Claritan once a day, Benadryl at night and Zantac 150 twice a day (all over the counter meds, cause he refused to go to the Dr). . He called me 2 weeks later, and said. "Mom I feel much much better!". I saw him this last weekend, all rings under his eyes were gone, he was gaining weight, keeping his food down now. So its obvious to me its a mast cell problem.

My family doesnt want to hear it. Theyve seen me go into shock frequently and they just think that I am seeing monsters behind every tree.. I wish it was that simple.. But we all love our families and have to do what is right for them.

Lisa, Im praying for your family but I know it takes second place to the power of their Mom and how wonderful you are.

Maiysa, when you get that gut feeling and "know something", go with it..youre right and the Mama sense is a strong one.. Im keeping you and your family in my prayers and I know they are so lucky to have you!
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 03/30/12 at 07:20:16

Lisa and Ramona are so wise about this!

I would only add that you might want to talk with him about keeping a food and symptom diary to see if any foods are aggravating his situation.  If he's having what you think are mast cell symptoms, he probably can ask his doctor about trying some antihistamines.  There may be more than one problem occurring.

Being there to be supportive is the best thing you can do for your son. The more you learn, the more you can help.  Good luck.  I hope he continues to improve.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print