Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My son is having surgery today! (Read 9267 times)
DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
My son is having surgery today!
03/27/12 at 16:26:38

Well, my son is having surgery this morning at 8:45am to have his tonsils and adenoids removed. He has obstructive sleep apnea, and he is 12 years old. It is expected to be a very painful 2 week recovery due to his older age. Sad

Not looking forward to that, but I think I will probably make myself ill worrying about the actual surgery part. My stomach has been a mess for 2 days, and I keep having nightmares that literally tear me out of bed awake. I know that will all cease after the surgery, but I honestly feel as if I have an ulcer right now! (Not that I would know what that feels like, but I bet it feels like this.) Oh well, the good part is that I will probably lose some weight over worrying!  Tongue As you can imagine, I will be doubling my meds throughout the day!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: My son is having surgery today!
Reply #1 - 03/27/12 at 18:43:24

Thinking of you both through this ordeal, watching our kids in pain is one of the hardest things to endure, but trusting all goes as well as can be expected, for both of you, and he has a quick and  uncomplicated recovery.

Ruth

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #2 - 03/27/12 at 22:03:06

Hold on sweetie! It's all going to be OK! Praying and thinking about you both!  Smiley

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 03/28/12 at 18:02:05

ok How is he today and how did he do with surgery?? I worry about YOU too , now stop the Momma worry for him and relax Smiley love you!

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 03/29/12 at 12:55:53

I hope your son isn't hurting too bad.  Thinking of the both of you.  Be well.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #5 - 03/30/12 at 12:14:39

Ohhh stress! Hope it went ok, let us know!

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #6 - 03/31/12 at 05:05:08

Is everything OK?

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #7 - 03/31/12 at 10:59:05

Hi guys! He is doing well, but keeping me busy being his nurse! So far recovery is way better than expected! He hasn't had terrible pain (of course, he has been on a liquid vicodin with tylenol pain med every 4 hours since the surgery). Tomorrow we move into day 5 of recovery, which could be try start of the most painful days (typically days 5-10 for older kids and adults). So we shall see! He is 12, and we have discovered that the best pain medicine is the "video game drug". Haaa. He just plugs in and forgets about his pain! LOL

I'll stop back later when I have more time and give more details. It was an interesting surgery. A complication arose, but probably not mast cell related.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #8 - 03/31/12 at 13:16:12

I'm glad it's all under control! I hope that you both won't have bad days ahead!

P.S. the video game drug works for me too, and I'm almost 29  Roll Eyes

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #9 - 03/31/12 at 14:41:53

So glad to hear he's doing well!  Hope he eases up on the nurse soon!

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #10 - 04/01/12 at 10:26:12

So glad all went well with your son's surgery, Deb!!   Sorry to hear he had a complication.  I'm curious as to what happened.  But what's important is that he's healing and all is fine now!!   I certainly was praying!!!

Hugs to you!!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #11 - 04/01/12 at 11:22:17

So glad you're on the other side of this now

best of luck

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #12 - 04/01/12 at 11:38:54

Hey Deb!!
Im so thrilled to hear hes doing good--I had no doubts with you as his Mom lol... since youve got him to day 5, may I suggest putting more hours between his Vicodan.. every 4 hours means WHEN he needs it.. not routinely.. he needs to be almost off of it soon..

One more tip, dont tell him but day number 10 is when you have to keep a close eye on him.. thats the day the scab usually comes off--IF he has a little blood thats ok.. any more than a little and take him to an ER.. also dont tell him but try to see that he does NOT cough, that could make the scab come off prematurely.. Hes doing well Debbie and Im positive its cause he has a wonderful Mom like you Smiley
Hugs and Love
Ramona

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #13 - 04/02/12 at 01:36:43

Thanks Ramona. You are such a sweetie. Actually, it's between days 5-10 that the pain increases to its worst, so they fully expect us to be using the pain meds through then. (I called to quiz the ENT nurse on that because I am so anti-medicine. LOL. Kind of funny considering how much I have to take.). Last night (night 5) the pain actually woke him up a few minutes before his pain medicine time and he was absolutely panicked with pain. So I gave him his medicine and the ice collar they gave us. He went back to sleep in that. Luckily, he responds really well to the pain med, so he was getting a bit better within 10 minutes.

Really curious to see how bad today is going to be....

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #14 - 04/02/12 at 05:26:19

Im glad you talked to his medical staff and even more glad he is doing so well.. Im keeping you all in my prayers and hope the next 5 days zoom past LOL..
Love ya
Ramona

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print