Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
USB Medical Bracelet from Walgreens (Read 9852 times)
PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
USB Medical Bracelet from Walgreens
03/27/12 at 10:27:08

I have a really useful bracelet that is a usb drive.  I got it from walgreens.  There are more colors available on walgreen.com   The bracelet cost $20.  I feel good knowing that the er can plug it in and have a list of all my meds and allergies.  It is made by the CARE company.  www.medicalhistorybracelet.com
I also wear a medical charm that says allegies use epi pen!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: USB Medical Bracelet from Walgreens
Reply #1 - 05/07/12 at 11:43:06

Hey Pam,

Where did you get your medical charm?

Tx!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 05/07/12 at 19:33:07

Are all ambulances and ERs equipped to recognize and read USB drives.  I have too much info to fit on a medic alert bracelet!

Joan

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #3 - 05/08/12 at 16:25:00

I remember when I first started reading about what to put on a bracelet and what to put an emergency book, I think it was Ramona (someone correct me if I am wrong) who had actually gone to talk to the ambulance crew to explain her condition and what to do for her in an emergency.  They "tagged" her HIGH RISK.

I live in a small town and we have an all volunteer ambulance crew. They no longer staff it with an EMT on board.  If they saw HIGH RISK, it would be a way for them to staff the ambulance with someone who can put in an IV, give and monitor an epi, etc.

Our ambulance is not equipped to read a USB drive but I would hope all ERs would be!   I now carry a bright red binder every time I leave the house.  It has a clear plastic pocket on the front where the "Emergency Protocol" from tms is.  

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 05/08/12 at 18:35:03

This might not happen to anyone else, but I had a problem with the emergency protocol at the ER.  The doctor thought he was supposed to do all of it!  A nurse came in with albuterol and wanted to give me a breathing treatment, then wanted to do something else on the protocol.  I finally figured out that they bought they had to do it all, even if I didn't have those symptoms!  I had my husband call the doctor in and told him those were only guidelines about how to treat symptoms IF I had them.  LOL.  It's funny now, but I realized that if I couldn't have spoken, I would have gotten the "works."  My doctor wrote a letter for me instead that gives them some emergency guidelines.  So, I guess I should call the ER and the EMTs and find out if they can read a USB tag.

Joan

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #5 - 05/09/12 at 10:53:25

That is interesting Joan.  I actually found the same thing.  They got upset when I refused the Benedryl because it was part of "The Protocol" and I had asked them to follow it.  (oops)

I think the new TMS pamphlet, "Emergency Care for Mast Cell Disease Patients" may be a better option to put as the front cover of a binder or the first page.  I like the way it identified the levels of anaphylaxis and gives guidelines for each level.

Then we wouldn't have to worry about getting it "all". Smiley  

A letter from your doctor would be ideal!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 05/09/12 at 17:33:10

I haven't seen the new pamphlet, but I'll look for it.  It sounds better.

Joan

IP Logged

Sweet Tea
Rookie

Never ever ever give up

Charlotte, NC
Reply #7 - 06/24/12 at 13:51:56

Is this the brochure you're speaking of?

http://www.tmsforacure.org/documents/TMSERBrochure.pdf

Thanks,
Cindi

IP Logged

Rocky 9801
Tutor

What the hell happened???!!

St Louis, MO
Reply #8 - 06/25/12 at 07:59:32

USB ID is a great idea. Unfortunately, it will be a while before first responders are able to read the info. Most computers or handhelds for EMT's or ambulances run dedicated software which will NOT read a pdf or word file.

This information is from our City's  EMT Supervisor and Trainer.  The first two things they look for on an unresponsive patient are bracelet or necklace, and wallet. My bracelet has basic info and refers them to my wallet where I carry homemade laminated list of meds, conditions and doctors.

Best solution I have found so far.

Grandpa, which wolf wins the fight....the good one or the bad onel??

The one you feed, son. The one you feed.

IP Logged

Sweet Tea
Rookie

Never ever ever give up

Charlotte, NC
Reply #9 - 06/25/12 at 08:30:25

Not USP or inexpensive, but pretty nice. I like the idea of changing out the ID plate colors. I'm in the 'so not thrilled to have to wear one' stage.

http://www.medicalidfashions.com/index.html

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print