Send Topic Print
Depression & Masto (Read 8073 times)
Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Depression & Masto
03/27/12 at 01:08:24

This is an excellent study by French researchers.   From their findings, it appears that masto is the cause.  The suggest the use of mastinib as a means to combat it.   Interesting.

This is a full article.   You can copy it for your doctors by going to this link.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198767/

Depression in Patients with Mastocytosis: Prevalence, Features and Effects of Masitinib Therapy

Daniela Silva Moura,1,2 Serge Sultan,2,3 Sophie Georgin-Lavialle,1,4 Nathalie Pillet,5 François Montestruc,5 Paul Gineste,5 Stéphane Barete,6 Gandhi Damaj,7 Alain Moussy,5,8 Olivier Lortholary,9 and Olivier Hermine1,4,5,8*

Abstract

Depression in patients with mastocytosis is often reported but its prevalence and characteristics are not precisely described. In addition, the impact of therapies targeting mast cells proliferation, differentiation and degranulation on psychic symptoms of depression have never been investigated. Our objective was to determine the prevalence and to describe features of depression in a large cohort of mastocytosis patients (n=288) and to investigate the therapeutic impact of the protein kinase inhibitor masitinib in depression symptoms. The description of depression was based on the analysis of a database with Hamilton scores using Principal Component Analysis (PCA). Efficacy of masitinib therapy was evaluated using non parametric Wilcoxon test for paired data within a three months period (n=35). Our results show that patients with indolent mastocytosis present an elevated prevalence of depression (64%). Depression was moderate in 56% but severe in 8% of cases. Core symptoms (such as psychic anxiety, depressed mood, work and interests) characterized depression in mastocytosis patients. Masitinib therapy was associated with significant improvement (67% of the cases) of overall depression, with 75% of recovery cases. Global Quality of Life slightly improved after masitinib therapy and did not predicted depression improvement. In conclusion, depression is very frequent in mastocytosis patients and masitinib therapy is associated with the reduction its psychic experiences. We conclude that depression in mastocytosis may originate from processes related to mast cells activation. Masitinib could therefore be a useful treatment for mastocytosis patients with depression and anxiety symptoms.

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Re: Depression & Masto
Reply #1 - 03/27/12 at 06:39:49

Thanks Lisa for that great article!

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 03/29/12 at 05:33:20

I wonder if that would work with MCAD too.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 04/02/12 at 10:12:01

I 'm not surprised.
Just HAVING this crazy disease is Depressing !!!  Cry
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  How lucky we are to have each other !
lori

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 04/17/12 at 17:03:58

Found this while looking up Mastinib;
I will try to put the web address here:
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00814073
Wow, I did it ! (I am techno-challenged)  Roll Eyes
Says they are still taking participants. If you scroll down it says in Texas, California, & France. The study will conclude in June 2013.

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #5 - 04/24/12 at 05:37:05

Lisa:
Great article. I've been following Mastinib progress for over a year.
When I first brought to my docs attention. He said no way as was
a cancer drug, which in it's origin was, actually with vets. But I told him about Dr V's study at MD Anderson on SM, he still poo pooed it.
This time I go in & ask him again about it & he tells me he's one of the doc's doing a research program on it for asthma, which is his speciality. I basically begged him to let me be in his study, since I do have asthma, but it's not very active & he refused because my diagnosis was SM not asthma. Not sure though about it's use in MCAD, the same doc told me Xolair, which he also did a study on for asthma, when I asked about it for Manuella from Canada he thought would do some good, but this was a year ago. I thought a few people here had tried it, but could be wrong.
MikeV

IP Logged

Spartako
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 05/31/13 at 20:14:40

I am waiting for the Phase III Trial of Masitinib which should come to a conclusion this month but I found some disturbing news:
Some sources write it will end June 2014! Another year to wait or some mistake in writing?
www.hsc.nihr.ac.uk/files/.../2037/2376.c0428913.Masitnib_Mar13.pdf‎

IP Logged

stri8ted
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 11/23/14 at 14:33:46

Starflower wrote on 03/29/12 at 05:33:20:
I wonder if that would work with MCAD too.

Heather

Based on this paper they recently released, it seems they will be doing some clinical trials on MCAS beginning 2015. http://www.ab-science.com/pdf/Masitinib_Mastocytosis_v07_11-2014.pdf

Also of interest - http://globenewswire.com/news-release/2014/11/12/682574/10107894/en/AB-Science-T...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print