Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RE; Omega 3 (Read 4957 times)
iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

RE; Omega 3
03/14/12 at 18:30:34

Omega 3s are proven to help lower inflammation, and are good for the heart, etc. But what about those of us who cant take fish oil ?
I read an article recently that cited research that Flax oil is a good alternative. So, I got some several days ago. It doesnt seem to bother me-yet-& I'm taking a 1000mg.s a day. Note for those of you with coloring sensitivity: the brand I bought are in a black gelcap. Sad
Also; Grapeseed oil is supposed to be a good anti inflammatory, but I've come across some brands that are made from grapeFRUIT-which is not safe with certain blood pressure meds.
Hope this helps  Smiley

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Re: RE; Omega 3
Reply #1 - 03/15/12 at 07:21:38

I take flax seed oil 1000mg 3x/day.  My ophthalmologist especially encourages it because I have dry eyes (which I also treat with Restasis).  A few weeks ago, I did a 24-hour urine test and the lab did the wrong one.  They did PGE1 instead of PGD2, and it turns out it was quite low.  I did some research on this, and it is possible that the flax seed oil is using up all of the enzyme (D6D) that is also used to make PGE1, so you get an imbalance.  To make up for this, I just started taking Borage Oil (made from the starflower), which skips the enzyme step and gives you a more direct precursor to PGE1 (GLA, which is an Omega-6 fatty acid).

This is all my hypothesis, but I'm just saying, you might want to make sure you're covering all bases.   Note also that I'm a vegetarian health-food-type, so I may have a lot less of some of these fatty acids in my diet than your average person.

Other things I take specifically to help with pain/inflammation are Turmeric and Green Tea Extract, both of which might upset your system, but I do think they help.

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: RE; Omega 3
Reply #2 - 03/17/12 at 18:45:41

KAT;
Thanks for the heads up- its "greek to me" at this stage ( the PGE1); but I am not a vegetarian, & I use a Lot of grapeseed oil, olive oil, and avocados, and recently bought some sesame oil-tho IT has a pretty strong/lingering taste. The grapeseed oil has alower smoking point than others for cooking, and is great on salads.
OH, & I read the ingredients on the flax oil capsules- they're colored with carob ! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print