Send Topic Print
Quinoa & Garlic (Read 5919 times)
Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Quinoa & Garlic
03/14/12 at 12:35:17

Tried quinoa again had an itchy throat and bad abdominal flushing, so it's off the safe list

Later was exposed to garlic smell which caused more reacting

Tongue

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Quinoa & Garlic
Reply #1 - 03/14/12 at 13:51:43

Garlic was one of my first and worst triggers! Still is except that now I can smell it slightly without getting sick. If I get sabotaged in a restaurant and get a bite of food with garlic in my mouth, I immediately spit it out and rinse my mouth and grab a tic tac mint!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #2 - 03/14/12 at 14:34:35

Yes, Deb, I always think of you when I'm reacting to garlic!

And like you said in a previous post, it's everywhere! We couldn't find a salad dressing without it for my husband at the grocery store.

I wonder if all the smell reactions I have will also translate into food reactions. I know if even the smells of my safe foods "suprise me" I can start reacting to them, but if they build up slowly I'm ok and I'm ok to eat them. WEIRD. Wish there was more predictability

I used to eat so much quinoa. I am going to miss it. But, just happy I can eat anything I know some can't

Good idea with the tic tac and mouth rinse. I won't be trying eating out for a long time but will keep that in mind. My sister used to put vics vaporub under her nose when a smell or her husband's breath would bother her. I'm not brave enough to try that as the smell of mint gum sets me off right now Shocked

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 03/14/12 at 18:01:32

Ana;
Are you sure its the quinoa ? Have you tried barley? I use barley in soups a lot. Hopefully you can find something Sad
good luck,
lori

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #4 - 03/14/12 at 18:50:33

Ana,
Is it possible you are reacting to a neurotoxin on your foods?  Years ago, I had tested positive (RAST and challenge) to over 25 different foods.  My allergist had me read up on neurotoxins, especially those that crossreact to my severe mold allergy.  Once I began to wash my foods in a vinegar solution, I noticed a difference.   I did go into remission, and eventually was able to eat without reacting.  

Check this out.  
http://www.allergy-details.com/food-allergy/cooking-quinoa/

Here's to you in finding the answers to get past this lousy phase your're in!
Lyn

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 03/14/12 at 19:29:26

Lyn,

What other foods contain neurotoxins that cross-react with mold?  I'm terribly allergic to mold!

Ana,

Here's a quick salad dressing recipe without garlic that can be kept in a jar in the fridge for a week or two:

1/3 c. balsamic (or other) vinegar
2/3 c. oil (I prefer olive, but grapeseed is good, too)
S & P to taste
Touch of honey or sugar if balsamic is very tart
Herbs of your choice, dried or fresh (I like thyme and parsley, but basil or oregano or others are good, too.)  Use 1 tsp. dried or 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped.

Put all in a jar and shake well until blended or use a whisk.  If it's too strong, add a Tbsp. of water per cup of dressing.  Can also add 1/2 tsp. dried mustard for a little more flavor.

Variation:  Use white or champagne vinegar instead of balsamic and 1 peeled and cored ripe pear (plus the other ingredients) and blend in a blender or mini-processor.  If needed, thin with water or more vinegar and oil.

Salad dressings separate and the oil might thicken when refrigerated.  Just take it out of the fridge an hour or so before using or set the jar in a pan of warm water for a few minutes.

I suppose you'd have to have your husband there to taste it....

Joan

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 03/14/12 at 20:16:36

Joan,
I wish I would have kept better records back then.  I  read several books on these neurotoxins, but can't remember the names of the books or the neurotoxins.  I once sat next to a chemist for the USDA and picked his brains for several hours. He actualy did research on wheat and other grains.  He told me there is no way to NOT have neurotoxins in our food, and that the US set allowable limits, but reinforcement is lax.  So buyer beware.  

Here is what I recall.  Wheat, oats, nuts and other bulk grains/legumes tend to have one or several neurotoxins and mold.  Refrigeration tends to prevent growth.  They suggested buying nuts that are refrigerated, and only buying bulk from stores that have high turnover or bulk products.  Stay away from open boxes of nuts you bag yourself at the grocery store.   Rinse legumes, lentils, beans, etc.  

Neurotoxins/mold tends to also grow on the outside of fruits and veggetables, and those with mold sensitivity are recommended to not eat peels, such as potato and apple, etc.  They recomend a dilute citric acid wash.  I have used several organic prepared washes, as well as used diluted vinegar in a spray bottle.  I aways wash my cantelope, avacados and fruits and veggies that I am going to cut into, so I don't cross contaminate the insides.  

It may sound like a hassle, but I just made those changes when I learned that this is a good way to lower my allergy threshold and see my bucket go down.  

I make a variation of the recipe you shared.  Actually, I make all my own dressings , sauces  and  dips.  I like to add poppyseeds to my sald dressings.  Yummy.
Good Eats, Lyn            

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #7 - 03/15/12 at 10:32:45

Thanks guys

I can get my husband to try that dressing outside maybe, I can't be around vinegar right now way to strong smelling.

Lori--I'm pretty sure it was the quinoa as my foods are so restricted and I've been eating them for awhile, Quinoa was the only new add. I had tried it about a month ago with indeterminate results as well

It's ok you win some you lose some, I will keep trying other foods.

The only veg I eat right now is boiled broccoli and baked sweet potato
Fruits are banana, mango and raspberry

The foods I'm eating are on my blog if you're curious. Can't really use recipes or anything as I don't have enough ingredients, but just thankful I can eat something and hope it will advance with time

Smiley

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 03/17/12 at 18:59:33

Ana;
Its always a bummer when we cant eat something thats got so many health benefits for Others Sad
Can you tolerate lemons ? Fresh lemon juice is my "vinegar", and its pretty good for salad dressings, plus tons of health benefits...
(smells better too) Mangoes are one of my favorite fruits. Do you know the trick to put em ina paper bag for a couple days to ripen quicker ?
You have a great attitude- Ive read your posts n you are a good example to the rest of us  Smiley
lori

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #9 - 03/17/12 at 19:28:34

Sorry, Ana!  Didn't mean to suggest something that could make you worse!  I see what you mean about recipes....

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #10 - 03/18/12 at 08:58:00

No No I appreciate the suggestion Joan as maybe someday I can use it!  Just letting you know where I'm at! Impossible for everyone to know what smells I can and can't handle Smiley

No on the lemons unfortunately, too strong a smell right now. But I have been eating mangoes...good idea could put that on my husband's salad. The only veg I'm at now is broccoli and sweet potato so need a bit more for a salad Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print