Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nickel Allergy and rashes and wheezing (Read 6479 times)
PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Nickel Allergy and rashes and wheezing
03/13/12 at 14:09:36

Nickel Allergy?  I was watching Channel 2 news tonight at 5:50 pm and the preview said "Are healthy foods making you sick" and the close up was of a woman preparing a salad (cutting celery and tomatores), also close up of chocolate.

Well I stayed tuned and the segment was on Nickel Allergy.

Should Foods Containing Nickel Be Avoided?
There is disagreement within the medical community as to whether a nickel-sensitive person should avoid dietary nickel. A nickel-restricted diet may be prescribed for highly nickel sensitive people for a few months to see if there is any improvement in symptoms.
In this instance, the foods to avoid include acid foods cooked in stainless steel utensils, baking powder, beans, buckwheat, canned fruits, canned vegetables, cocoa & chocolate, dried fruit, figs, green beans, kale, leeks, legumes, lentils, lettuce, licorice, linseed, millet, nuts, oats, onions, oysters, peas, pineapple, prunes, raspberries, salmon, shellfish, soy powder, spinach, rhubarb, sprouts, sunflower seeds, tea, tomatoes, wheat bran products, and multigrain breads.

Well everything on this list is a culprit of mine.  All my bathroom fixtures are stainless steel, my pots and pans are stainless steel.  

Has this topic been looked into before?  I find it very intersting.

IP Logged

Avonlea
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Nickel Allergy and rashes and wheezing
Reply #1 - 03/15/12 at 05:36:31

Do you have any nickel crowns in your teeth?

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 03/15/12 at 13:26:31

Yes, I think.  I have a crown that was put in, in the late 70s early 80s.  I'll have to ask my dentist.

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 03/18/12 at 04:32:43

I have a pretty bad allergy to nickel, but I eat most of the things on the list and don't seem to have a problem with it.  I do take a multi-vitamin without nickel, but not sure if it would make a difference or not.

I think you just have to see what causes a problem and what does not depending on your individual case.

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #4 - 09/17/12 at 06:10:32

I have a nickel allergy(found on the  test on my back) and the doc told me to go on a low nickel diet.  I tried for awhile, but with my salicylate sensitive, along with the low histamine diet I think there was like one or two things left to eat.  It was cazy and very frustrating.  So I eat green beans a lot!  It is impossible to avoid everything.

« Last Edit: 09/18/12 at 04:40:34 by PamH »  

Pam

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 09/21/12 at 07:19:37

Hey All;
I agree with JBean. I didn't even realize there was Nickel in so MANY things ! There is a young guy that works at the local health/nutrition store. He has lost all his hair, he says due to fillings in his teeth. We all have differing degrees of reactions to
things. It's good to know what to watch out for, but we can drive ourselves crazy over it. For example; Im trying to "detox" my liver: WHY is my liver so sensitive  yet some people can drink/eat whatever they want ?! Huh So I'm juicing, Kale, apples, & carrots. Is it easy to get organic apples & carrots ? No, I peel them. So- now Kale is "bad" ? Well, I seem to be okay with it, & it's top of the list for detox- so I risk it. So far, so good. I also put Lemon into my water & on salads DAILY. Lemon is also high on the "benefits" list- so I risk that too.  My numbers are coming down for my liver whatchamacallits, so I guess I'm doing something right. Cheesy  Also, I take lots of supplements. But I'm not losing the extra pounds Dangit ! Angry Anyway, guess what I'm trying to say is; Yes, we especially, need to be aware of our triggers, and canned anything, dried anything, especially- but there are no all inclusive lists for us.
good luck to us Wink
lori

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #6 - 09/21/12 at 10:39:17

Good for you Lori!
Sounds like you are doing something right!

Pam

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #7 - 09/21/12 at 17:32:59

Kale might not be a problem for people who are not sensitive to nickel or oxalic acid.  I eat it a lot, but I do boil it to help get rid of some of the oxalates.  In fact, I eat about 3/4 of what's on that list without a problem, but I'm not sensitive to nickel.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print