Send Topic Print
Too much Zyrtec?? (Read 14738 times)
gnbailey
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Plano, TX
Too much Zyrtec??
03/07/12 at 17:01:57

I am just starting to come out of a 3 week flare with 1 anaphylactic episode required my epi pen.  I spoke to my doc and she says that I am taking too much Zyrtec.  I am on Zyrtec 20 mg twice a day, Zantac 300 mg twice a day, Singulair 10 mg once a day and Gastrocrom 200mg 4 times a day.  
For those that are taking Zyrtec, what is your daily dosage??

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Too much Zyrtec??
Reply #1 - 03/07/12 at 18:37:56

I am on 10 mg twice a day. I have heard of people on 40 mg/day. Is your doc an allergist familiar with mast cell disease?

I take another H1 blocker and mast cell stabilizer with it Ketotifen 2 mg twice daily in addition to Singulair, cromolyn, zantac, and hydrocortisone.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 03/08/12 at 00:23:26

I take 20mg of Zyrtec per day and 20mg of Claritin... the equivalent of 40mg of Zyrtec.  This weekend I had the stomach flu and took several doses of Benadryl on top of that.  No big deal!  I also take extra doses when I need to pre-medicate for something (travel, dentist, etc...).  Zyrtec is a "second-generation" antihistamine that doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier.  It shouldn't make you drowsy.  For me, the only negative side effect when I take a lot is dry mouth (which doesn't happen on my "normal" daily dose).

Unless your doctor is a mast cell researcher, I would disregard that advice!  Zyrtec is MUCH safer (and cheaper) than epinephrine.  It's much better to prevent an attack or treat it early than to let it get to the EpiPen stage.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Julie M.
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
DC Metro area
Reply #3 - 03/08/12 at 01:40:43

Like yourself, I take 20 mg of Zyrtec, twice daily.  (40 mg total)  The allergist that I just started working with bumped me up from 20 mg daily to my current dosage of 40 mg in an attempt to get my symptoms under better control.  When in a flare (like now) I also take 50 to 75 mg of Benadryl every 3 to 4 hours.  (That's in addition to my normal doses of Zantac and Singulair.)

The allergist that I work with formerly ran the Allergy and Infectious Disease division of NIH and is familiar with mast cell disease.  He didn't even blink about upping my Zyrtec, even with the addition of Benadryl.

Based on personal experience, I have to agree with Heather on this  one.  Your allergist seems a bit out of step with current guidelines for MC patients.

Good to hear you are coming out of your flare!

Julie

IP Logged

gnbailey
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Plano, TX
Reply #4 - 03/08/12 at 11:25:26

Thanks for the responses!  I will continue to stay on my Zyrtec 20 mg twice a day.  I have not noticed a single side effect.  And I did mention, even at this dosage, I had a flare and shocked.  

I appreciate all the advice I get from this forum!!    Thanks  Smiley

Gaynell

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print