Send Topic Print
Rotational Diets (Read 7310 times)
Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Rotational Diets
03/06/12 at 19:27:23

Hi,
I've been reading all these food posts with great interest.  I see that most of you all have tried a strict histamine diet then slowly integrated new foods, keeping with the same few safe foods as your core.  I have read that some of you are reacting with the very safe foods you have, which makes my heart sad and heavy for you allfacing this.  

I am just going to throw this out there, hoping it may help someone.  I haven't seen this anywhere in the masto world, but long before all this, I was treated by a maverick environmental allergist for multiple food allergies, severe environmental allergies and other food related sensitivities.  My base diet at that time was an anti candida yeast diet and elimination of my known trigger foods.  I was then highly encouraged to ROTATE my foods, so I never ate the same foods more than 2 meals in a row.  This was to prevent NEW food allergies/sensitivites from overeating the same protein/food.  After several months, I  could then slowly reintroduce some of the foods back into my diet.  i was also taking sublingual allergen drops for foods and envirnmental triggers.  

I wonder if this thought could be used with those who are struggling to find safe foods.  I had over 25 foods that I reacted to at that time, diagnosed with both RAST and challenge.  Since I couldn't eat so many basics, I was encouraged to try foods i had never eaten before.  That was my introduction into quinoi (I know you  already eat this Ana), amaranth, lentils, odd fruits, feta cheese, fresh moz, different oils, rice based crackers, tahini, hummus, olive pastes, drop breads, pancakes, and flat breads made with new flours, almond milk, ricotta to replace sour cream.  Along the way, I learned that European cheeses tend to not use the same enzymes and some have much less histamine than US cheeses.  

I am payng attention to my symptoms right now and eating a pretty basic diet, but make sure to space out the same foods, so I don't end up losing my few precious safe foods.  

I would love to hear your thoughts if a rotational diet based on a low histamine platform minus any offending foods may give new options for you.  

Take Care, Lyn        

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Rotational Diets
Reply #1 - 03/07/12 at 09:53:44

Thanks Lyn!

This is what I've ended up doing as it seems I start to react to things I eat too often. I say SEEMS because it's all so unpredictable but I have heard others say the same and that rotating helps.

I actually had to drop Quinoa though I think meat and potatoes were to blame. The pain was just to severe though to risk it again but I will retry it some day.

Impressive of that environmental allergist! So much knowledge out there!

Ana

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 03/07/12 at 20:43:13

I read an article recently that said that cheese aged over a couple of months has high histamine, but it didn't say anything about European cheeses.  Do you know which ones are lower in histamine (other than the fresh cheeses).

Joan

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 03/07/12 at 23:01:20

Hi Joan,
In addition to mozzarella, cottage cheese, and ricotta, I've also read that Wisconsin fresh cheese curds, farmer's cheese, feta, string cheese, Neufchatel, Edam (young), Havarti and other Dutch cheeses, as well as queso fresco and queso blance, and paneer tend to be low in histamine.  

Below is an spreadsheet listing amines of various cheeses you might find interesting:

http://www.histamine-intolerance.info/resources/HistamineIntoleranceFood.pdf

Must be reacting to something, cause I have yet to go to bed yet...URGHHH
Take care, Lyn

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #4 - 03/07/12 at 23:06:56

Joan,
Almost forgot... years ago I did some research into the enzymes that are used to make cheese and recall that many of the cheeses made in the US use synthestic or hard to digest enzymes, yet cheeses using old world techniques are better tolerated by those with dairy/cheese sensitivity.  I wasn't too good at record keeping/filing back then, so don't have references.  If I can find it in my stacks of files or on the internet, I'll be sure to post.
Lyn

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 03/08/12 at 19:19:19

Thanks for posting that link.  Interesting list.  Do you know, were they comparing commercially available cheese with artisanal cheeses made at a specific farm when they said "farmhouse" cheese?

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print