Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Melanosis Coli (Read 1680 times)
Avonlea
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Melanosis Coli
02/27/12 at 08:37:29

Have any of you had a colonoscopy and been told you have "melanosis coli" - a darker pigmentation in the walls of your colon?  I had a colonoscopy 5 years ago & they found this, but said my colon was otherwise normal.  Of course, this was before the mast cell question arose, so no biopsies were taken.  (The doctor asked me if I took a lot of laxatives, which I never have.  The only explanation on that line was that in the early 2000s, I was into eating Atkins candy bars & they have sugar alcohol in them.  It is apparently indigestible.  It caused me a lot of GI discomfort, so I began avoiding products containing it.)  I now wonder if this is a symptom of MCAD? Huh

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Melanosis Coli
Reply #1 - 02/27/12 at 09:25:02

Hi Avonlea,

Strange. I haven't heard of that in relation to MCD, but never say never Smiley I think the only way to know whether there's mast cells in the bowel is through biopsies

I always used to think melanosis coli meant there were melanin deposits, but it's actually a benign pigment, which you probably know. Smiley

IP Logged

Avonlea
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 02/27/12 at 09:34:26

Thanks, Ana - good to get confirmation that it is considered benign!  I expect I'll be having another one in the near future, provided I can be adequately pre-medicated.  I also have a hemangioma on my liver.  I wonder if it is actually a collection of mast cells  Smiley

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #3 - 02/27/12 at 09:53:10

Would you be able to check in with a mast cell doc before your next scope so that they could guide how to take and stain biopsies? Might be worth it while you're in there!

Liver hemangiomas are quite common in people without MCD and also benign, but again never say never with those mast cells!

Thanks for sharing! Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print