Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I can cook but no one else can?? (Read 2246 times)
Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

I can cook but no one else can??
02/22/12 at 19:49:42

Has anyone else with scent sensitivity found this.. . If I cook my safe foods, the smells dont trigger me but if other people cook and I'm not in close contact with it, I react. It seems if the smells build up I'm ok. Granted the triggering from other people cooking was often of foods I haven't reintroduced into my diet yet which might be part of it. Cheesy

Also the shampoo I'm using has a scent but I barely notice it, but if someone else uses it and it wafts toward me, it sets me off.

Just wondering if anyone's had this. Sure makes others think I belong in the Loonie bin.

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Re: I can cook but no one else can??
Reply #1 - 02/23/12 at 05:25:51

I've noticed my worst reactions to heat are going from an A/C house right into a car that's been sitting in the sun in the summer.  My husband looks at me like I'm crazy when I start panicking to get out because I'm nauseous, can't breath and feel like I'm going to faint.  Getting into a similar car after walking around outside in the heat, I'm not happy (because my body temp doesn't regulate well) but I don't have that horrible reaction.  I think an incremental increase in something doesn't alarm the immune system the way a sudden "onslaught" does.  

Think of the old frog in a pot of water example: If you slowly increase the temp, the frog will happily sit there not noticing the difference until he's cooked, but if you put him in a pot of scalding water, he'll jump right out.  Same idea, but in our case the gradual is better!  

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #2 - 02/23/12 at 13:32:12

I love the frog analogy, but poor frog getting cooked at the end!

Thanks

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #3 - 03/12/12 at 08:17:14

I believe I an a superhero and my power is SuperSmeller!! It seems like I can't handle anything with a scent. I went into the store the other day and had to put on my little mask and I had it stored in my purse next to my panty liners....Oh my goodness I thought I was going to die cause of the morning fresh scent the mask had absorbed from the panty liners! Grin I was being accosted by a pantyliner smelling mask!
Hhah  I have to laugh sometimes!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print