Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
antibiotic for sinus infection (Read 3537 times)
Mousse
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Georgia
antibiotic for sinus infection
02/15/12 at 20:59:01

Are there safe antibiotics to take for a sinus infection? I have the green drainage coming up when I cough (sorry for the description) I have taken z packs before but nothing since my diagnoses. Thanks, Cindy

IP Logged

Julie M.
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
DC Metro area
Re: antibiotic for sinus infection
Reply #1 - 02/16/12 at 00:59:54

I had a terrible sinus infection last month.  First antibiotic they gave me was amoxicillin, which didn't get rid of it.  The second round the doctor gave me Ceftin, which worked great.  I didn't have any issues with either drug.  Of course, everyone is different, but that was my recent experience with a sinus infectin and antibiotics.

Hope you feel better soon,

Julie

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #2 - 02/16/12 at 09:41:50

I had heard that the only known mast cell degranulator antibiotic to avoid is Vancomycin BUT beyond that it's impossible to know what you might react to and what you won't, so just be cautious, don't be alone when you take it and have your meds with you

good luck and hope you feel better soon

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #3 - 02/16/12 at 10:05:33

If you took z pack and felt fine, then it should be fine to take it now. I guess i would ask how long ago you tried z pack? The fact that you didn't have a diagnosis then is irrelevant, unless you also never had symptoms at that point in your life. You don't need to avoid a normal antibiotic that you have always been fine with. Even then, the only common one I hear people comment on is sulfa drugs. Many Masto people seem to have trouble with that.

I react a lot to antibiotics, and I get sinus infections a few times a year.  Right now I take Cefdnir (in the keflex class drug I think). Dr Akin had advised me that if I react to one antibiotic, I could always try a 2nd or 3rd generation one of the same class. Thus I cannot take Keflex, but I can take Cefdnir.

Even when I trigger to an antiobiotic, it's not a big deal. I get a huge rash on my face and neck or I find it harder to breathe. I just take an extra allegra or zyrtec and discontinue the antibiotic. Then I start a different antibiotic. Not getting medicine for an infection, in your  case sinus, can lead to far worse health issues.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Mousse
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Georgia
Reply #4 - 02/16/12 at 10:27:25

I react to sulfa and penicillin, throat closing, etc... The last time I took a zpack was last spring. My reactions to things have changed dramatically over the last 6 months, that's why I'm scared to take one now.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 02/16/12 at 10:36:54

This article mentions quinolone antibiotics, too, as mast cell degranulators (Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox, etc.)  I personally had anaphylaxis from doxycycline.  This doesn't necessarily mean everyone will react.  It's different for everyone.

I tolerate Z-paks, and that's what I use for sinus infections.  Have also had Ceftin.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print