Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Um... NOT tolerating Allegra (Read 8161 times)
mommydancer
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Um... NOT tolerating Allegra
02/13/12 at 07:20:42

Well, I WAS taking just 30mg of fexofenadine as prescribed by my doctor.  I got the script filled in 2011 but didn't start taking it 'til a couple of weeks ago.

I saw my doctor on Friday and apparently you can't get 30 mg anymore so she wrote a script for 60 mg.  I was thinking "well, I guess it's time to move it up."  I guess you can't get the prescription brand anymore at that dosage so they recommended that I just grab the brand name Allegra or the CVS brand in 60 mg.  My husband didn't pick anything up so I could make the choice on what I wanted to do.

Okay, so I still have some of my 30 mgs left so I took two today to see if I can tolerate them.  NOPE!  I can't.  Right now I'm shaking like crazy.  I'm breathing okay but my throat is itchy.  My throat also feels a little tight but that could be because a) I'm really dry from the antihistamine and b) I'm having extra issues from my c-spine instability.  Doesn't help that I'm really tensing up.  I had the chills for a while but now I'm feeling a little flush.

I'm drinking water like crazy because I don't know what else to do.  My only back up here is a CVS brand benadryl or an old bottle of children's benadryl cherry-flavored liquid.  So it's the pink pill with the corn starch or the red syrup with the citric acid.  Or, I just try to ride this out but then what do I do for meds?

I tried zyrtec once and felt drugged and heavy all day long followed by being up (like I had coffee) all night long.  I know Claritin is an option, too but I read that it can increase menstral bleeding and with my anemia, that wouldn't be a good idea.

Anyway, hoping I don't get worse.   Any suggestions? Sad

IP Logged

gnbailey
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Plano, TX
Re: Um... NOT tolerating Allegra
Reply #1 - 02/13/12 at 07:32:51

Well, between the corn starch and the red dye in the Benadryl, I would have to go with the Benadryl.  For me, the corn starch would cause a major attack and I'd be reaching for my epi pen!  I have had to take the pink Benadryl before and it did not cause a reaction.

I'm really sorry you are feeling bad!  I am having a reactive day today too!  Not fun!

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #2 - 02/13/12 at 08:08:29

Sounds like your having a reaction. I would take some childrens liquid benadryl. I buy the Walgreens dye free brandand I don't see on the back of my bottle any where that this brand contains corn starch. You can start out slow with 12.5 dose and work your way up if your sensitive to meds.
Melissa

IP Logged

mommydancer
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 02/13/12 at 08:51:34

I seem to be recovering although I'm a little light-headed (probably POTS kicking in).  My throat isn't as itchy.

I asked my husband to stop by a different store on his way home to find Benadryl brand tablets and any dye-free children's liquid just to keep here.  I'm really thrown as to what to take day to day.  This is so freakin' frustrating.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #4 - 02/13/12 at 09:30:54

So sorry to hear this and how frightening for you

Yes it would be GREAT if you could sort out a rescue med....

Dye free benadryl might be good like others said. I take Atarax but might be an issue if youv'e never tried it. So sorry the allegra makes you worse; what are it's fillers? Any chance they could be the culprit?

You have an epipen right?

I HATE the throat tight feeling; I think you're right when it's dry it probably feels worse than it is. For me most reactions start with sudden mouth dryness...I know I'm in trouble.

Really hope you find something that helps you. There are a lot of options but it's a scary road when you react to so many things

IP Logged

mommydancer
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 02/13/12 at 09:56:36

I'm starting to lose it here.  My husband came home after going to two stores with empty Benadryl tablet shelves.  Was there a recall?  He also couldn't find the dye-free liquid.  He's been to CVS and Target.

IP Logged

mommydancer
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 02/13/12 at 09:58:01

And no, I don't have an epi-pen.  I don't have a doctor yet who thinks I need one.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #7 - 02/13/12 at 10:35:51

I haven't been able to find dye free either but I'm in Canada

SO sorry

Mommydancer, with these episodes and throat itching you MUST get an Epipen and find a doctor who will prescribe one. you can go to a walkin clinic and say you've had anaphylaxis and need an epipen.

In my opinion, If one isn't given to you it could really end up in a malpractice type situation.

Can your husband call around to other pharmacies to see what's available?

Have you ever tried atarax or are there any other meds you can tolerate? I presume not

Are your docs working with a mast cell disease expert, sorry I can't remember

We'll try to help find a way to get you through this

Have your symptoms settled? Are you starting to get a sense of your triggers?

Keep the faith!

IP Logged

mommydancer
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 02/13/12 at 14:30:00

The saga continues...

My husband went back out after dinner looking for BENADRYL brand tablets (25mg) and the dye-free children's liquid (benadryl OR off-brand).  After a trip to Walgreens, another CVS AND the pharmacy at our local hospital, he came home empty-handed again.  Where the frick is the Benadryl???

I'm going to see if I can order some online but I kinda wish I had it NOW.  My symptoms have died off but... I've been taking the baby dose of Allegra for the past two weeks a.m. and p.m.  After the reaction I had from increasing the dosage earlier today, now I have nothing to take tonight.  I don't know if I try the baby dose again or just not take anything unless I have a reaction overnight.  I can always take a sip of my 6 y.o.'s cherry benadryl, I guess.  

I may try to make an appointment with my allergist tomorrow for the epipen but it's a toss-up whether or not I'll actually be able to drive.  Haven't felt stable enough to get behind the wheel in a couple of weeks but I can get to my allergist by taking mostly side streets so I may try it.

What a crappy day.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #9 - 02/13/12 at 14:33:34

so sorry to hear.

There was an email that went around the tms group something about benadryl not being available for awhile or something, but I don't remember the specifics at all sorry!

I assume you've tried an H2 blocker too? if not that might help

Try to get lots of rest and lay low to prevent other things from setting off reactions

If your doc feels you need it they might be willing to call in the Rx for you if your or your husband phone and leave a message. . .

Hang in there and keep us posted

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #10 - 02/13/12 at 15:51:47

Heck yea, get that Epi pen girl. Your scaring me. Now when you take the Benadryl if you notice a numbing in your throat don't be alarmed. That's what it does, I asked my pharmacist and he confirmed it does numb the throat a bit in fact they often  give it to people on chemo or radiation that have a hard time swallowing because their throats are burned from treatment. Good luck hope you find some! Ana, is right hydroxyzine is a good rescue med too. That one crosses the blood brain barrier and it helps many of us with brain fog
Melissa
Melissa

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #11 - 02/13/12 at 16:48:30

Benadryl also comes in an adult strength, dye-free liqui-gel, but that's not available at all stores.  You might want to call drugstores and grocery stores, as well as the discount "-Marts" and Target to see if one of those might have them.  I believe Zyrtec comes in a liquid, too, but I don't know if it's clear or has flavoring.  Amazon has the liqui-gels, and prices vary a LOT!  I think some were under $6 for 24, while others were $24 for the same amount.

If you're still having throat-tightening tonight, either go to the ER or call your local EMS at 911.  Be sure to ask that anything they give you is preservative-free.   EMS always carries epinephrine with them.  Itchy throat can be a symptom of  anaphylaxis, so don't take any chances.  It's not worth it!

Joan

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 02/14/12 at 04:59:02

Hey Mommydancer!

Oh my dear, your reactions to the Allegra and the Zyrtec sound just like me! I have tried these two drugs so many times, and I always get the same thing, even when I cut the dose down.  They are just too strong for me.  I am a real medication LIGHTWEIGHT!

Allegra makes me feel like I am having a shock reaction (even though I am not) and my arms will go numb from it.  The Zyrtec knocks me flat like I had anesthesia (even a toddler dose).  Everybody tolerates meds differently, so you kind of have to work around your own body.

I have found that the only thing I can tolerate is Loratidine (Claritin).  The only one that really works well for me is the Member's Mark Brand from Sam's Club.  This is good because you can get a year's supply for only $12-$15  Smiley

I can not take a whole pill at once, or  I feel way buzzed.  So, I cut it in half and take half in the morning (7 AM) and half at night (7 PM).  Don't take it too close to bedtime or it might keep you awake.

This is the only thing that does it for me, don't know why.  If I get a masto attack then I have my Benedryl and epipens for backup.

Just hang in there.  Almost everybody who has this disease has to find their "magic mix" of meds.  That is basically an annoying ordeal, but once you do, then you start to feel better.

IP Logged

mommydancer
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 02/14/12 at 05:33:40

Well, I survived the night.  I only took my Zantac 75 last night and this morning.  Hoping I won't need anything else today even though I seem to have a little cold.  (my 6 y.o. is sick too and my hubby is just getting over pneumonia - crazy).

I called my allergist and can't get seen until tomorrow so nothing resolved today.  I'm having other symptoms to worry about today anyway (possibly Ehlers Danlos related) so perhaps that'll keep my mind off of it.  

Thanks for all of your help.  I guess I am extra sensitive and it doesn't help that I only way 100 lbs.  (dropped nearly 15 pounds since last summer)

IP Logged

mommydancer
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 02/14/12 at 09:58:55

Hope you guys aren't sick of this thread, yet.

My cold is getting a little worse - with more of an allergy feeling which makes it hard to decide if I'm having symptoms 'cause I'm sick or cause I'm reacting (or both).

Soooo... I still have the CVS brand of benadryl - it's a tablet.  It's 25 mg.  Can I cut that in 1/2?  Or maybe drink 12.5 of the liquid "watered down"?  I'm about to have dinner (I hate eating) so if I start to get a little worse after that, I'll have to take something.  Thoughts?

Happy Valentine's Day? Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print