Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sleep anpnea (Read 8393 times)
gutless_mystery
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
INDIANA
sleep anpnea
02/13/12 at 04:48:53

The last two times I was in the ER my oxygen saturation dropped once I was treated and more comfortable.  They are thinking I have sleep apnea and my wife is pretty positive that I do.  Well, my oxygen dropped to the 60's and 70's and pretty much stayed that way but when I am awake they are perfect.  Could not sleeping well (sleep apnea) be triggering me?  People say to look at every possible trigger and I am wondering if that is one.  They said I need a sleep study and until now I've put it off thinking that other things are more important. Could this be causing me problems with my immune system/mast cell issues?  Thought I'd run it by you guys before I ask my docs so I don't look so stupid.

Having lots of low back pain today along with the abd pain.  It's really hard to work.  I keep taking breaks but I know it makes my brother and dad frustrated when I don't feel good.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: sleep anpnea
Reply #1 - 02/13/12 at 09:44:24

Definitely! This is a major issue for my sister. The sleep study is a good idea.

The problem for her is they recommended CPAP but she couldn't tolerate the smell of the plastic tubing/mask so is in a bit of a pickle

Those are LOW sats....you mean that was while you were asleep or just in the ER? Are you a smoker? Do you have any underlying lung diseases like asthma/COPD? Undecided

Good sleeps make a huge difference for me. A big part of why I don't like being admitted; you never get sleep in the hospital

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 02/14/12 at 16:17:53

Sleep apnea doesn't mean you don't sleep well. It means you stop breathing. What wakes you up is the body's urgency trying to keep from dying of suffocation. The breathing problems can be caused when the tissues of the throat relax during sleep, and close off the airway, or when the brain doesn't give the correct signal to keep breathing. Obstructive sleep apnea is by far the most common type.

Sleep apnea puts tremendous stress on the system. The heart is under pressure, and it can cause heart failure over time. Brain damage occurs when long periods are spent at very low levels of oxygen saturation. Because the body goes on hyper alert when you can't breath, it could very well trigger mast cell activity.

I had a sleep study that showed I woke over 150 times during the night, most of them only waking slightly, so I wasn't aware how many times it was happening. some people can have apneas (breathing cessation) every few seconds, literally never getting deep sleep. Absolutely it should be checked.

I had trouble with a new machine and new mask, because of the odors of the plastic. They do off gas, and I can tolerate them now. My local provider of the equipment made a deal with my doctor's office to let new units sit out before giving them to people who react to those types of things. You can also run the machine without wearing it. New masks can be soaked in water with baking soda, or water with white vinegar, and it draws some of the new chemicals out. I try to get my new masks a month or so ahead of when I need it, so it can sit and off gas before I use it.

If they think you have sleep apnea, get the study.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

gutless_mystery
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
INDIANA
Reply #3 - 02/15/12 at 01:01:21

It was that low while I was sleeping in the ER after an anaphylaxis episode.  I was exhausted from trying to breath and the benadryl kicked in knocking me out.  My wife said my sats were that low only while I was sleeping and every once in a while I would take a big breath and it would go up to 70's.  Sadly she had to get the nurses attention to tell here about the low sats.  They put oxygen on me and woke me up and my oxygen came up to high ninetys.

I definately will mention it again to my doc and try to get one done.  My wife said she didn't pursue it more because she figured I'd be non compliant and not do what they told me to with the mask.  I told her I'd do what they said if it helps.  If they tell me to take a med and it doesn't help...what is the point of paying for it and putting it in my body?  

My wife says she is absolutely sure I have it and she thinks it is the obstructive type.  Thanks for the input!

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #4 - 02/15/12 at 08:51:23

Wow that is really low and I'm so glad your wife was there to notify them

the lack of attention can be just brutal

if you're willing to try the treatment, then it's good to take the testing. Usually the treatment would be a CPAP mask/machine +/- home O2 if they find any other issues

Hope you get some relief

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 02/18/12 at 14:40:23

It makes sense that the fatigue and the possible sedation of the antihistamines would make you sleep deeply enough for your throat tissues to soften and close. Any swelling in there from reactions would also make you more vulnerable.

It can take persistence to get the right set up. There is a good CPAP group that could help you get the right equipment. Good equipment makes a big difference in how comfortable everything is. The newest units are VERY quiet, and can adjust the pressure to what you need to keep your throat open, improving treatment and compliance. There are all kinds of masks, and it is important to find one that fits well, is comfortable, and stops leaks. May be a pain to get there, but if you have sats that low with any regularity, it is extremely important.

Sorry you have this added in to everything else you are struggling with. I hope the process goes easily for you.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 08/21/12 at 05:11:54

Ana- I was just reading your post about your sister having sleep apnea but not being able to tolerate the smell of the mask and tubing. I am running into the same problem. Did she ever figure out a solution?  Cheesy

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #7 - 08/21/12 at 16:12:14

I guess those with sleep apnea could consider getting their tonsils and maybe adenoids out. The older you are, the more painful the recovery they say. But...if it solves the problem....It's a hard dilemma. My son had SEVERE sleep apnea and snoring. Last spring he had his tonsils and adenoids removed. The recovery was painful, but he has pain meds (which could be dangerous for masto people). After 2 weeks he healed and his sleep apnea and snoring were completely gone! It is amazing to watch him sleep peacefully now.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print