Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oh snap, I think I am reacting to sex-Can this happen? (Read 11949 times)
PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Oh snap, I think I am reacting to sex-Can this happen?
02/10/12 at 05:09:59

I have noticed that during and after "special moments" with my husband I get nauseous. Of course I'm not going to tell him! I have also noticed that when our "special moments" are exceptionally great I have developed severe stomach pain all night.  
I really don't want this to affect this part of my life too. Sad

Has this happened to anyone else?  Does any one have any advice?
Thanks for any advice.
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Oh snap, I think I am reacting to sex-Can this happen?
Reply #1 - 02/10/12 at 06:37:31

The genitalia have lots of mast cells... even in normal people... and large amounts of histamine are released during orgasm.  Coincidence?  I think not Wink  

You can reduce this problem by taking extra H1s/H2s before sex and... if it doesn't make your husband too uncomfortable... making sure the room is not overheated (open a window, turn on the AC, etc...).

Fortunately(?!) I get hives and flushing instead of nausea...

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #2 - 02/10/12 at 11:03:59

Thanks Heather, I have tried to do research on this topic, but it is kind of vague, thank you for your help! Smiley

Pam

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 02/15/12 at 17:07:28

Pam;
I recently read a post by Lisa where she used orgasm as an example for histamine,& other mediator release situations. I was too embarassed to bring it up til I saw that. It explains the "special moment" when I thought I was having a stroke or anyuerism ! Shocked I have been married for 29 years & NO WAY am I gonna let this disease interfere in my marriage!
Lisa says her gyno said to take an Allegra half hour before. I also "talk" to my body (silently of course) & tell my mast cells to calm down- that this is nothing bad they need to fight off. I know it sounds goofy Embarrassed
but it seems to help Wink
lori

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #4 - 02/21/12 at 02:15:42

Lori,  it was Dr. Castells who told me that patients should take an Allegra 180mg prior to sexual relations.    My gyno is who was amazed at this advice!!    Yet he fully backed her up knowing the physiological changes that are involved.

Not every one of us have these issues, however.  And women have a means of dealing with this more easily than the men, for a woman doesnīt have to come to a climax to enjoy sex.   For men, itīs much more complicated and theyīve got to listen to their bodies to know if they happen to be one of those who have issues here.  

Yet, there are means of dealing with this that helps and itīs good to consider what the issues are that create the problem.  It could be the heat it generates which begins the triggering.  It could also be the excercise or the emotions.  Each of these are factors.  

So, knowing these things, you adapt yourself to it and make arrangements so that those factors are reduced as much as possible.

One thing I must say which I think is very important.  Itīs necessary to not only be conscious of your own body and how you are doing, but you must be conscious of your partner and how this is affecting them.   If you donīt recognize and be sensitive to your body, making sure the outside factors are minimized as much as possible you can create certain problems in your relationship.   If you partner sees that you are left prostrate every time, this is going to put a serious damper on their enjoyment as well.  And after a while, they will not want anything with you due to how guilty they feel in causing you to get so sick.   Yet, they have their own needs, and you canīt just selfishly say, Iīm sick!!  

This is why you must seriously consider what is going on, what factors are involved and what you can do about them so that your masto doesnīt invade your relationship with your spouse.  If it means buying a ceiling fan or a single unit airconditioner, and establishing a certain time of the day or situation around it which provides for you not to be anxious and can relax and enjoy it instead of being tired, or stressed or worried, this is how you preserve your love life and make sure that masto doesnīt undermine your marriage.

Remember, it take two to tango and it take two to fight and so you canīt just think only about yourself, you must consider that one you love and their needs as well.  If that means you have to do a whole lot more undersanding of your body and its needs and adapting your circumstances to ensure that you are well at this time, then thatīs what must be done.   And since a healthy relationship with that loved one means that itīs not once every blue moon, once a year and even then only when you are well or are in the mood, this means you have work at this as a priority in order to ensure this.  

More and more researchers are finding how beneficial to our emotional and physical well being sex is for us.  The physical release of tension and stress and anxiety that a healthy and frequent relationship provides benefits our masto more than you may be aware.   A person who is well loved and desired and desires and loves the other and forms a deep and healthy relationship with that person who loves them  is a person who is happy, relaxed and less emotionally stressed.   Since mast cells are so very sensitive to our emotions, this directly benefits our disease!  Smiley  The more stressed, tense and anxious we are mentally, the more reactive we are physically, there is a DIRECT RELATIONSHIP here.  Those feelings and thoughts trigger the stress system.  The stress system releases itīs own mediators.  The mast cells have receptors for those mediators.  Therefore those mediators are mast cell degranulators and they will directly impact your body causing more symptoms.   This is the connection.  

So, you have to see, the more sexual activity you have in a stable reciprocal relationship, which is the key here, the healthier and happier you will be.   Iīm not saying that just plain sex is the benefit, for thatīs not the key.  The key is in the healthy, loving, receiprocal relationship and how it affects you in return.  Itīs the packaged deal that is so extremely beneficial to us, for even those who are single and donīt have that partner, they are not going to be sicker just because they arenīt having sex.  Sex is part of the packaged deal, but not the only part and if for some reason the person is unable to fulfill that part of the bargain, this doesnīt automatically mean that youīll never be happy without it.  Thatīs just plain stupidity.  

The key to being healther in body and mind is that loving, healthy relationship with another who returns your love.  This is what makes us satisfied with our lives, allowing us to relax and enjoy life.  That attitude directly reflects upon our health.

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 02/21/12 at 17:06:12

Lisa;
Once again- you put things so much better than I could! Now, my husband might feel like its "once in a blue moon" Roll Eyes but it is always worth the wait ! Wink It helps to have a considerate partner. And you my dear put things so eloquently for those of us with new questions/issues- I am thankful to have met you !
glad i'm Not alone, Smiley
lori

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #6 - 02/22/12 at 14:20:07

You know Lori, all I can say is Thank God WE are not alone!!!   Could any of us get through this all on our lonesomes?!  I most certainly could not!!

WE ALL WORK TOGETHER AND LEARN WITH ONE ANOTHER!!!   Smiley Smiley

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print