Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Reaction to coloring or other inactive ingredients? (Read 5077 times)
Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reaction to coloring or other inactive ingredients?
02/02/12 at 18:08:35

Dermatolgist advised to cut out red and yellow dyes due to my excessive flushing/blotching, starting with my medications.  Have others noticed issues with these dyes or others?  Found OTC replacements for H1 and H2, and different dose of prescription meds.  Are non FD&C red and yellow dyes an issue with mast cells?  

Thanks, Lyn

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Reaction to coloring or other inactive ingredients?
Reply #1 - 02/03/12 at 00:33:42

Personally, I haven't had any problems with artificial colors.  My generic Zantac is pink... my Synthroid and Singulair are yellow (and there's no alternative to that one yet).  

IMO, unless you know for sure that dyes are a problem for you, doing a hard core elimination of dyes seems like a weird piece of advice.  There are much more important changes to make with a mast cell disorder: low histamine diet, reduce stress, figure out what antihistamines work best for you, etc...  How did your dermatologist arrive at such a specific cause for your flushing and blotching??  Some people with mast cell disorders are able to take aspirin to tone down the flushing... it helps to get rid of the excess prostaglandins in your bloodstream.  Otherwise, the flushing and blotching should improve as you become more stable.

This is the kind of thing that contributes to my low opinion of dermatologists... Lips Sealed

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 02/03/12 at 07:14:59

Thanks Healther for your response.  

Before my skin biopsy, was told I had chronic uriticaria.   My flushing that day was quite extensive to my face and blotching to my neck and chest.  I was told that red and yellow dyes are a huge trigger for chronic urticaria,  I should start there.  I have reacted to dozens of meds in the past, looking at inactive ingredients, cross reactivity and combinations and even do better on white levoxyl than the yellow levoxyl.  So I didn't question his advice.   After my biopsy results came back, told it was not typical hives, but had already bought white H1, H2, etc.   So much to sort out.  

Realize I will need to see or consult with one of the experts, just trying to figure out how to make that happen.  

He did tell me to hold off on diet changes until our next appoitment.  I have been eliminating items based on the low histamine diet and plan to look into the low tyramine diet.  

Thanks,  Lyn

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #3 - 03/07/12 at 08:12:06

Yellow #6 and Red 40 are high in Salicylates.  Salicylates open your mast cells up without going through your immune system. I'm very sensitive to all high and very high salicylates. I have had lots of trouble with artifitial colors.  I even had trouble with the pink benedryl. (red 40)
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #4 - 03/08/12 at 12:30:39

WOW!  Hadn't seen this before!  Guess what I'll be researching tonight???

Thanks so much for posting, Pam.

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #5 - 03/09/12 at 12:22:24

You are wecome!  Here is the Salicylate forum link very helpful!
  http://salicylatesensitivity.com/forum/    
Pam Smiley
here is a list of products containing Salicylates:
Products

There are a variety of different products containing salicylate and it is sometimes difficult to determine if a product is salicylate free or not. Hopefully this page will help.

Products that often contain Salicylates:
•Acne products
•Air fresheners
•Alka Seltzer
•Breath savers
•Bubble baths
•Cleaning products
•Cosmetics
•Detergents
•Essential oils
•Fabric conditioners
•Fragrances and perfumes
•Gums
•Hair sprays, gels and mouses
•Herbal remedies
•Lipsticks and Lip glosses
•Lotions
•Lozenges
•Medications
•Mouthwash
•Muscle pain creams
•Pain relievers
•Pepto-Bismol
•Razors with aloe strips adjacent to the cutting edge
•Shampoos and Conditioners
•Shaving cream
•Skin cleansers or exfoliants
•Soaps
•Sunscreens and tanning lotions
•Supplements derived from rose hips or bioflavoniods
•Toothpaste
•Topical creams
•Wart or callus removers

Terms/Ingredients to Avoid:
•Acetylsalicylic acid
•Aloe Vera
•Any coal tar derived dye
•Artificial flavorings
•Artificial food colorings
•Aspirin
•Azo dyes
•Benzoates (preservatives)
•Benzyl salicylate
•Beta-hydroxy acid
•BHA
•BHT
•Choline salicylate
•Disalcid
•Ethyl salicylate
•Eucalyptus Oils
•Isoamyl salicylate
•Magnesium salicylate
•Menthol
•Methyl Salicylate
•Mint
•Nitrates/Nitrites
•Octylsalicylate
•Oil of Wintergreen
•Peppermint
•Phenylethyl salicylate
•Red Dye (#40)
•Salicylaldehyde
•Salicylamide
•Salicylate
•Salicylic acid
•Salsalate
•Sodium Salicylate
•Spearmint
•Yellow Dyes (#5 & #6)

Brand Names of Common Drugs containing Salicylate

This is not a complete list of all drugs containing salicylate, but it is a start and hopefully will aid and help you in avoiding drugs/medications that contain salicylate. If you are taking a medication and you are not sure if it contains salicylate or not check with your pharmacist or doctor. Never start the elimination diet with out checking all medications and first and consulting a professional. Never start taking a medication with salicylate in it directly after the elimination diet and shock can occur from introducing too much salicylate into your body after it has gone a long while without salicylate. This list was put together by the Mayo Clinic.
•Acuprin 81
•Amigesic
•Anacin Caplets and Tablets
•Aspirin Regimen Bayer Adult Low Dose
•Aspirin Regimen Bayer Regular Strength Caplets
•Bayer Children’s Aspirin
•Bufferin Caplets and Tablets
•Disalcid
•Extra Strength Bayer Asprin Caplets and Tablets
•Mobidin
•Mono-Gesic
•Norwich Aspirin
•P-A-C Revised Formula
•Regular Strength Ascriptin
•Salflex
•Salsitab
•Sloprin
•St. Joseph Adult Chewable Aspirin
•Tricosal
•Trilisate
•ZORprin

Pam

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 03/09/12 at 15:31:03

Pam,
Do you take ranitidine or fexofenodine?  Have you found dye free? Have been able to find dye free versions of other antihistamines, but am struggling locating those.   Would like to try to find OTC before resorting to compounding them.  
Thanks again for the tip and list on salicylates,
Lyn

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #7 - 03/12/12 at 08:06:42

Doozlygirl,
I use the name brand Zantac and the equate brand of Allegra.  Although the Zantac has color I think that it is iron oxide red.  The generic allergra works best for me because the Name brand has pregeletinized starch.  I can not have geletin. So I stay far, far away from it.  I really don't know the difference between iron oxide red  and red 40 but I have just noticed that I can't do the red 40 or yellow5 & 6.  Iron oxide yellow seems to be okay for me too.  Hope this helps some, sounds kind of confusing! Cheesy

Pam

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #8 - 03/12/12 at 14:33:26

Pam,
I have been trying to figure out if the iron oxide dyes were was an issue for me or not.  Thanks for your response.  You've been very helpful.   I have definitively recongized yellow 5 and 6 and red 40 (can't tolerate red or yellow pills but do ok with splitting white versions to get do my doseage), and can't really find much on the iron oxide dyes.  Looks like the yellow dyes are also called tartrazine, and I've read that any of the azo dyes (red, yellow and orange) which are the FD& C numbered dyes can degranulate mast cells.

I just learned my dermatologist wrote her doctoral theseis on mast cells and their impact on dermatologic disorders, such as chronic urticaria.  I'll ask her about the oxide dyes next time I see her and share her response.  

Thanks, Lyn

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #9 - 03/12/12 at 14:44:56

Thanks Lyn!  I am interested in finding out what the difference is!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #10 - 03/12/12 at 15:34:52

Pam,
Just found this website which I think you will find helpful.  I know I sure do. Here it says iron oxide dyes are safe and do not cause reactions, unlike the FD&C dyes (Dyes with a color and number, such as Yellow 6, etc), which are toxic to humans and mice.  The article also states that yellow 6 is tied to Aprin allergy.  I know you stated that yellow 6 is high in salycilates, which I know is the active compound in asprin.  I was wondering if you have ever tested positive for asprin allergy?  Which would mean a IgE trigger to mast cell degranulation.  Hmmmm.  Curious.  

Check out this article.  
http://greenhealthresearch.com/healthy_beauty/iron_oxides/iron_oxides_page_2.htm...

Lyn

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #11 - 03/14/12 at 07:16:14

Lyn,
I don't know if I have ever been tested for aspirin, but knowing that I can not tollerate salicylates... I don't take aspirin or nsaids (advil). I rely on Tyleno for my pain.  My doc tested me for many things but couldn't find any allergy, even though I was having anaphalatic reations to so much.  It was a long process figuring out the salicylate problem.  My worst anaphilatic reation was from eating a piece of pumpkin pie....not from the pumpkin (it is moderate in Sals.) but from the spices in the pie. Nutmeg and Cinnamon are very high...DAH...I wasn't thinking about the spices.
I have changed the way I do everything from bathing to the way I do laundry, the saliclate are every where! I have used baking soda to brush my teeth for about 10 months now.  That was my first hint...the toothpaste was setting me off, but I didn't have a clue why.  Then when I figured it out I started reading every lable and it all started to come together! Roll Eyes The salicylates open my mast cell almost instantly!
Thanks for the web site....makes since why the iron oxide doesn't hurt me and the other does!

Thanks again!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #12 - 03/14/12 at 14:37:29

Interesting just checked my Zantac and Singulair as they're the coloured pills I take and they are both iron oxide dyes.... Hmm maybe I lucked out Smiley

But, using toothpaste doesn't bother me. However, the smell of someone ELSE using toothpaste, does. Go figure!

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #13 - 03/14/12 at 18:24:16

Ana,
I think we ALL lucked out that the iron oxide dyes are not associated with not known issues, unlike the FD&C dyes.  Gives us a few choices.  I havne't been able to find fexofenadine or ranitidine without out a dye.  Smiley

Pam,
Oh, this salicylates business is staring to fill in some pieces of my puzzle.  I once went into anaphylaxis from a menstrual med (can't remember if it was midol or pamrin, but the formulation I reacted to had aspirin)  

Have you run across the Environmental Working Group website yet?  they have this amazing database of over 69k products with ingredients listed.  Check out the toothpastes.  There are tons of them.  Maybe a fennel or tangerine/citris or blackcurrent toothpaste would be an option?   You could spend days going through this database, so have fun.

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

Keep up posted,
Lyn

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #14 - 03/15/12 at 03:12:34

Cool I will check it out!
Pam Smiley

Pam

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print