Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I finally got an appointment in the Southwest (Read 1377 times)
Maiysa
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

I finally got an appointment in the Southwest
01/31/12 at 15:42:00

Thanks to Maria giving me some information on a doctor in Las Vegas, I'm on my way to at least having MCAS ruled out.  Of course it will be about a 4 month wait, but I've been very sick with dysautonomia for a few years now, so it doesn't seem that far off.  But the Allergist has me seeing a hematologist first and that will be in March.  So thank you for all the information to help steer me in the right direction.  I will keep you updated as to how it's going.  

But I have a question.  When I took the tryptase blood test a few months ago and it came out at 11, but I had taken just a smidgen of Children's Claritin the day before, would that have made the tryptase even lower?  Or could I just have been having an allergy to something.  I remember feeling slightly ill at the time of the test.  Anyhow, would that have affected it, and it was just about 1/10 of a children's dose.  I can't take too much of anything.  

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: I finally got an appointment in the Southwest
Reply #1 - 02/01/12 at 16:07:56

No Maiysa, that should not make a difference because the baseline is pretty much the same and wonīt change much.  If youīre in a crisis then yes, it should go up, but thereīs no reason to have a drop unless you were in anaphylaxis when it was taken but you didnīt know it.    Any fluctuations should be relatively small.

With a tryptase of 11, youīre right on the edge of having an elevated tryptase.  Granted itīs not high enough to be diagnostic for SM but without a doubt it indicates MC activation.    

One thing, Maiysa, try not to get your hopes up too high on this doctor.   if he does know about MCAS, he may not know much and he may try saying to you that you do NOT have MCAS.  Yet with that tryptase at 11ng you DO indeed have some kind of MC activation going on and he canīt say you donīt!!   So, if he says you donīt, that doctor is not for you and youīll have to keep looking.  

I hate to say it, but itīs best to go in prepared thinking that the doctor canīt do it and then be wonderfully surprised when he can than to go in with all kinds of hope and be crushed when it turns out he tells you that youīre crazy!!!    So, be emotionally prepared, please!

Good Luck!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Maiysa
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 02/01/12 at 17:13:30

Lisa,
Thank you so much for the reminder.  YOu are absolutely right.  It's so funny, you must know me.  haha.  Every time I go into a doctor, I'm so hopeful and then I come home in tears.  I usually set myself up for heartache. But the last two doctors that had terrible bedside manner didn't even phase me.  I hate to say it, but I'm getting desensitized to them.  And if this doc isn't understanding then I know that I can always call Dr. Castell's.  Their office was very kind when I called them and wanted me to send my records.  And then the Immunologist is always a back up too, who I will be seeing in May, unless I can get in on a cancellation earlier.  Luckily I've read all the good information that you ladies have sent to me, so I know better if this doc says to not worry about it.  I know something is not right with me, and the Mayo says that autonomic neuropathy isn't the only thing going on.  So we will see.  I pray for some easy answers soon.  Thanks to all of you, I will at least be able to rule it out.   Grin

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #3 - 02/03/12 at 05:00:29

I can still so vividly recall how hard I cried following two different doctor consults and they were both early on in my journey.   My husband was present for both and with both doctors they couldnīt be objective and couldnīt look past my hysterectomy, something for me which had NEVER been an issue!

When I look back on those situations now, Maiysa, I see how typical my attitude was towards doctors and my expectations to recognize what was wrong with me.   It was only after I understood more about masto and how very rare and difficult it is to diagnose that I was able to recognize that these doctors were intentionally being neglegent or abusive but that they were just way too far in over their heads and they COULDNīT recognize it!!    The one doctor I do blame more since he was a high authority in carcinoid syndrome and should know masto well enough since itīs a major differencial diagnosis to those tumors.   However, I still must recognize that the great majority of doctors just canīt do it and itīs my fault if I keep insisting with them.   Itīs like insisting on that locked door which you know has no exit and nobody who can answer it.   You keep going back to it hoping that next time it will magically open!   Even if it did, it doesnīt lead anywhere, so why insist???

So, this is something that takes us all time to figure out and the sooner we begin to see what our reality is, the better off we emotionally are.  It forces us to recognize the signs when a doctor either can't take us further or doesn't want to!   Often my husband would frustratedly say, "When are you going to see that he doesn't want you?!"  It just never ocurred that a doctor wouldn't since that's their job, but we must stop thinking of our doctors as superheroes.  They make mistakes, they don't know it all, and the don't have all the answers.   Once we can get our mindsets into the correct viewpoint, then our relationships with our doctors improve immensely for they also don't feel that constant pressure to be superheroes and they begin looking at you as a teammate and not an adversary or a ball and chain - both of which are awful!

So, Good Girl Maiysa, keep pressing forward, but remember, it's a very rare and difficult disease to diagnose and you never know if you might not have one of THOSE cases which makes it even harder.   As long as you have good, positive attitudes and don't get easily discouraged and continue pressing for answers, I have every reason to believe that you will indeed find them!!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print