Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Insurance (Read 4376 times)
jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Insurance
01/27/12 at 07:37:30

Hi,

I was laid off from my job and am unable to afford the COBRA.  I am single and self-supporting.  I applied for health insurance  with another carrier and received a refusal letter today stating that it was specifically because of mastocytosis.

Our state does not allow you to become eligible for special assistance for people with pre-existing conditions until you have gone without insurance for six months.

This is all very discouraging for me.  Any suggestions as to what I could do?  Going without any health insurance is really scarey, but I absolutely can not afford the COBRA.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Insurance
Reply #1 - 01/27/12 at 08:59:48

Oh so sorry to hear. I don't have advice but I just wanted to share my sympathies.

I think others have been through this so will hopefully pipe in. Embarrassed

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 01/27/12 at 12:05:15

We had to pay Cobra for our son, and that was expensive!

If you have car or household insurance, your company might offer a health insurance policy that covers major medical only, for a lower price.  It depends on the policy, but they'd cover anything catastrophic, sometimes with a larger deductible.  There might be one that accepts you, but excludes mastocytosis for a period of time.  

The other possibility might be to look for an HMO of local docs that might accept you until you can get into the state program.  Doctors in some places are grouping together like that.

The Rx "club" at Walgreens (and other pharmacies) costs about $5.00, but it'll give you a very reduced price on meds, if you can take the generics.

Depending on your assets and which state you live in, there may be medical assistance $$ available.

If your insurance isn't gone yet, you might want to consider having all your check-ups before it expires.

Joan

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 01/29/12 at 13:56:52

Thanks so much! Good suggestions.  This insurance stuff is such an irritating mess!

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/06/12 at 10:06:06

I don't know if you've worked enough or are disabled enough to qualify for Social Security Disability, and it will take too long to apply to help in the short run, but if you do qualify, you then also qualify for Medicare.  It might be something to consider.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 02/22/12 at 02:49:52

Even if you dont qualify for Disability yet, you very much could qualify for Medicaid, Medical Needy. I would go to the nearest office and apply.  (I did and it covers 95% of my meds totally free). All that takes is the need for immediate medical care and the inability to pay for it for whatever reason.

I would also make a list of medications you are on and apply with the company who makes it for reduced or free meds.
http://www.myrxadvocate.com/?gclid=CO2a9-fosa4CFQ5U7AodDizUQQ
is a great website that covers  pharmaceutical meds. Good luck Hon.
Love ya,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print