Send Topic Print
Tomatillo's (Read 14550 times)
missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Tomatillo's
01/25/12 at 12:05:01

Does anyone know if tomatillos are high in histamine? I know they are of the nightshade family. But they are not tomatoes. I was thinking salsa verde chicken enchiladas sound good!
Melissa

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Tomatillos
Reply #1 - 01/25/12 at 17:03:27

Can't find anything saying there is histamine in tomatillos, but nightshades can be a problem for mast cells in people who react to them.  Oxalates, present in tomatillos, can also cause mast cell degranulation in some people.  I'm afraid it's another "trial and error" food, best tried on a day when other triggers are low and with meds taken and/or nearby and preferably another person in the house, just in case.

I've used a few small ones in salsa before, and I thought they affected me a little, but not awful.  Not sure whether it was the tomatillos, though, or the acidity of the food.  I think this is one where everybody is different.

Salsa verde chicken enchiladas....yum!  There are so many recipes that call for tomatoes and no really good substitute!  I've read on an allergy site that yellow or green tomatoes contain lower levels of histamine, but am not advocating anyone eat  them.

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Tomatillo's
Reply #2 - 01/25/12 at 19:42:38

I have NO clue, but it sure sounds delicious and interesting! Cool

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 01/26/12 at 04:35:49

Melissa;
Its so crazy: I can eat some mexican foods on good days, but others put "the alien" in my guts! Huh My dad was Mexican, so this has been tough for me. I used to have salsa making parties...  Cry
Are you gonna put peppers in your salsa? I can eat a slice or 2 on a good day. The tomatoes(again, depends on what kind) sometimes bother me. I'm going to try to make salad enchiladas again, BUT;
they require chile ancho sauce, & I make mine from scratch, so its fresh & no vinegar... Thank God for ZANTAC !!! The anco sauce will be the only Iffy ingredient, so we shall see. Undecided
Let us know how yours turns out, n I'll do the same.
lori

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #4 - 01/26/12 at 12:52:54

I will.

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 01/31/12 at 16:03:58

Welllll;
NO ancho/enchilada sauce for me! My "alien" attacked again, & let me kno in no uncertain terms thats another food best left alone now. Angry
Ah well, could be worse! I will switch to salad Tacos- the queso fresco is pretty mild cheese & is good crumbled in it. Got my satisfaction from watchin the family gobble up the chicken n cheese enchies  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
I will listen to my instincts more closely...
lori

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print