Send Topic Print
Biopsy results (Read 3066 times)
Mousse
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Georgia
Biopsy results
01/20/12 at 10:30:51

My results confirmed TMEP. What's the next step? I've had so many Dr.'s tell me that there was nothing wrong. Who do I see next? Thank-you for any input. Cindy

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Biopsy results
Reply #1 - 01/20/12 at 13:42:36

Congratulations on finally getting some answers!  I know from my own experience what a relief it is to finally have some proof that, "See... I'm not crazy!!"  You'll still encounter a lot of doctors who have no idea what TMEP is, but at least now YOU know and you can educate them Smiley

Who did your biopsy?  What symptoms are you having and which one(s) bother you the most?  

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #2 - 01/20/12 at 13:48:18

Wow! I had a feeling based on what you discribed you might have TMEP. Well as you know if have TMEP too, what I did was when I got my diagnoses I found an immunologist/allergist that was familiar with masto. I still see my derm, and I still see gastro and I still see my rheumatologist. I just found a new primary but I haven't had a flare since I found him. Hoping to find just one doc for everything but I hate to tell you I still get referred to gastro for stomach issues and still have to see my rheumey for joint pain. Whatever you do if you can't see the experts at least search for someone who has some experience in masto if you can. Good luck!  Glad you finally got your diagnoses, now you don't have to wonder anymore. Did you have a serum tryptase yet? My derm at the university hospital said I should have mine checked every 12 to 18 months. She also said I should carry any epi pen even if I have not had anaphylaxis. Also she said everyone with masto should wear an emergency medical braclet saying anaphylaxis. I still don't have a braclet yet. Glad you finally know Cindy.
Melissa

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #3 - 01/20/12 at 15:50:02

TMEP comes under the category of cutaneous mastocytosis.  This doesn't mean that your masto has gone systemic, but the possibility is there and it needs further investigation.  

I would suggest that you take this diagnosis and see a hematologist who has some kind of understanding of mastocytosis for although you are most likely not in any danger, you should have the care of a hematologist who knows how to keep an eye on you for the future.

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 01/20/12 at 16:55:35

Lisa;
Being that I'm also a TMEPer, & you are so well informed;
I assumed that as long as Im on meds,have epipens etc.;n am getting "better" than I was (which is always subjective)- I could put off a BMB. My allergist had suggested it in the beginning. Also, I see Melissa sees several docs... so is it naive to think if we're "doing okay" we should just let well enough alone for the time being ? Or, does it sound like my allergist is doing "enough" ?
lori

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 01/21/12 at 02:33:27

I say this having had a bone marrow biopsy...

Unless your lab tests scream "aggressive SM" or you have another hematological disorder, I see NO REASON to get a BMB.  It's not going to give you any information you don't already have... and it's not going to change your treatment plan.  Treatment is based on symptoms and the severity of your symptoms has very little to do with your bone marrow.  I had a biopsy to rule out Castleman's disease, not directly because of my mast cell disorder.  Unless there's some kind of radical change in my test results, I'm not planning to have another one!

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 01/21/12 at 02:53:11

Heather I AGREE WITH YOU!!! ..
I can not see exactly what good this does you as a patient....It will not cure it or make it go away...
now others can do as they wish....HOWEVER HOW DOES THIS HELP YOU??
I don't like folks fooling around with my body and until they show me proof that it is needed...I will stick to my meds to try to handle this disease
redbird

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #7 - 01/21/12 at 03:19:04

This is what I was told be a couple of my doctors is my tryptase  is less than 20 there is no need for BMB. I still see a rheumatologist because I have fibromyalgia and some other positive bloodwork that she is following. We don't know if a lot of the pain is from the masto or something else brewing. I think its masto. That's just my opinion.
Melissa

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #8 - 01/21/12 at 04:41:50

Well, here is definitely a controversial conversation for although my tryptase is so low, both Dr. Castells and Dr. Escribano have agreed with my doctors for another BMB.   I agree with them.

Now, before I start off a polemic argument here let me explain a few reasons why I agree.  

First of all, I fully understand and even AGREE with Heather and Redbird and even those doctors who say itīs not so necessary for it does stir up the system and thatīs never a good thing with masto.  If there are not symptoms severe enough to warrent this and the tryptase is low and the CBCs are pretty, there isnīt much purpose for the treatment remains the same, that of ameliating the symptoms for the progression of the disease is likely indolent.  

HOWEVER, even in cases where the disease appears to be indolent, sometimes there is a need to "take a look" to see what the bigger picture is, especially in the case of known mastocytosis.   In cutaneous mastocytosis you have a known neoplasm there even though itīs totally benign and indolent.  It still is doing damage and if there is any signs of anemia or the symptoms are severe enough, itīs necessary to see what is going on within the bone marrow for it may open up doors to understanding for your doctor as well as treatment to improve your health.  This is why my doctor asked for my BMB the first time around.   With that reading we learned that my marrow is poor with iron and I have a need to supplement it from time to time.  We also saw other pathological damage going on even though we didnīt find the MC aggregates.  This damage showed that the shadow of the neoplasm is there and it helped towards my diagnosis of MCAS.

However, in light of these findings, in light of my continuing severe reactions, and in view of the recent research on MMAS, this is why everyone would like me to do a 2nd BMB to try to find the neoplasm and confirm the diagnosis.   It may open up some treatment options for me and my doctors, and I, would rather not just play guessing games before considering those options.  Itīs better to have further understanding.  

So, without really knowing how your case is, itīs impossible for any of us to really tell you yes, or no, you shouldnīt.   And I very strongly think that this is a decision youīve got to make WITH your doctors, having them give you a very good arguement as to WHY you need to have this done.  Some doctors get carried away since theyīve never had a masto patient before, but I think these doctors are few.  But since cutaneous masto can indeed go systemic and youīve got all kind of symptoms, if your tryptase is high enough, it would not be unwise to have a baseline done and thus see exactly what your situation is.   If they see that there is pathological indicators of the neoplasm, it helps them to judge where the disease is for future reference as well as to know how to treat you.  Then, in the future, if things get worse, then theyīll know how much worse.

I understand everybodyīs argument as to why not and I do aggree with this attitude, but then I also see the other side of this coin for Iīm at this same place with my doctors.    Some might argue that in taking another look it is purely academic and will not change my treatment, but I donīt agree for without having done my original BMB we would have more doubts than we do now and we would be totally unaware of what was happening in my bone marrow and it would leave my doctors more insecure than they are.  

So, Iīm for, especially if your doctors feel itīs needed.

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 01/21/12 at 16:09:41

Ladies;
First-thank you for the insight. Smiley
Now Ive not only got "food for thought"-Ive got a smorgasboard !!! Undecided
But I SO appreciate the informed advice  Kiss
lori

IP Logged