Send Topic Print
Probiotics (Read 7079 times)
Mousse
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Georgia
Probiotics
01/18/12 at 09:04:21

Does anyone use probiotics? I am thinking it might help with some of the stomach issues.

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Probiotics
Reply #1 - 01/18/12 at 12:41:24

I am eating the Activia yogurt, and that seems to help me the most.  I have tried Align and Kefir, but for some reason, I like the Activia the best.  

It took awhile for it to kick in, but now I feel better.  Don't have as much stomach discomfort issues, and things seem to be more "quieted down."  

If you do suffer from a documented overgrowth of bad bacteria in your gi, it can make you miserable and contribute to problems other than masto.

Besides, a little cherry yogurt is a nice treat for your day.  You have to make sure though that you can tolerate the product ingredients and not react to them.  Might be something good to talk about next time you meet with your doc.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 01/18/12 at 15:28:19

I use them probiotics regularly in capsule form and also eat yogurt, cottage cheese, and use buttermilk in dips and salad dressings.  I started with Align and still take that sometimes, but I think I like PB8 better.  My GI doctor, who's an expert in mastocytic enterocolitis, prescribes VSL #3, but I've found relief with the over-the-counter ones so haven't tried it.

There's a website, topprobiotics.com, that says it's evaluated and compared brands.  It has some interesting information of what to look for in a probiotic.

Another supplement to check into is l-glutamine.  It is useful for normalizing the mucosa in the GI tract.  There's been a lot of press about PRE-biotics lately, which supposedly contain nutrients that help the probiotic bacteria establish themselves.  I haven't tried any of those.

Joan

IP Logged

gutless_mystery
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
INDIANA
Reply #3 - 02/02/12 at 08:33:20

My GI doc told me to take them so I do.  I take the OTC sustenex.  It isn't too expensive and is easy to swallow capsule.  Don't know if it is really helping or not.  He said it would take a while to start working to regulate my gi tract.  I've been taking it since OCT 2011.  All I can say is I am not worse with it and he thinks it will help me so I am still taking it.

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 02/02/12 at 14:13:37

Ive been taking this about six months now I use the one that lactose free and so far I still have the diarrhea and abd bloating.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print