Send Topic Print
"Anonymous" Tip... (Read 8477 times)
iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

"Anonymous" Tip...
01/14/12 at 13:19:21

Well;
By now most of us are familiar with the Brain Fog symptom that comes with this disease. I have this friend... Wink Wink That forgot to refill her Ketotifen til she had 1 pill left !!! Guess I- I mean my friend- was too focused on the other 9+ OTC and prescribed meds...?
ANYWAY:Do yourselves a favor if you're like "my friend" & not the most organized person.
Get a calendar specifically for your meds.
Write down when your meds (OTC & Scripts) are due to run out,and renew/replace them ahead of time !
Keep the calendar in a prominent place where you'll be SURE to see it !
Yup, still learnin Embarrassed

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: "Anonymous" Tip...
Reply #1 - 01/14/12 at 19:42:08

Sorry for your friend  Wink Cool

I think we all struggle keeping track of so many meds; it's understandable!

I try to overdo it and always have too many out of paranoia, but I'm sure I'll slip up eventually.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 01/16/12 at 18:02:29

If I wrote it down, I'd lose the note!  So, what I do is to keep two weekly pill boxes filled.  If I see that I'm running out of something when I fill them, I'll order that medicine right away.  Luckily, most of my meds are over the counter.  If I need to have something asap, the 24 hour Walgreens isn't too far away.   Smiley

Joan

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 01/17/12 at 06:37:35

Good advice Joan;
Unfortunately-I live in a rural area-very peaceful, but the trade off is -no 24hr. anythings Sad
I long for the day when Ketotifen doesnt have to be shipped from another state...
New resolution; ask the dr. for 90 day scripts, and keep that calendar with my pill organizer.
We are never too old to learn something new Wink
lori

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 01/17/12 at 09:46:34

Hi Lori,

Distance is a big obstacle!  How long does it take after you order it for you to receive your meds?  From what pharmacy do you get Ketotifen?  I'm thinking of giving it a trial.  What doses do people typically begin taking?

Thanks!

Joan

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 01/18/12 at 05:28:34

HI Joan;
Dosage depends on you & your doc. n he's gotta call them. (but u knew that  Smiley) Mine started me on 1mg., twice a day. But I started w 1, til I knew how I'd react. It really seems to help with the GI pain, & inflammation.
I order them from Clarks Pharmacy, as do many others here. Its about $42.00 for 60 gelcaps. That includes shipping. Takes about 5 days.(unless u pay quicker UPS.) I forgot to ask, so am gonna call n see if my insurance will pay part now that its FDA approved here.
Clarks Pharmacy; 425-881-0222. They also now have an e-mail for refills-and people like me Embarrassed
take care,
lori

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #6 - 01/18/12 at 10:40:15

Joan:
I'm in day 10 of my trial w/ketitofin from Clark's. So far I seem to have no issues like I did with Zaditan. Right now lowering Gastrocrom as I  add it. Will be upping to 2 this weekend. The pharmacist there is
a great guy. His recommendation to me was to get up to 3 per day & off gastrocrom completely as he doesn't think much of it, but would mix it if I wanted it so get away from Azur & it's cost, although I have insurance, seems to me like they are ripping our insurance companies off. It takes time to get setup with them as you have to mail script to them, but refills can be done by email. After they had my script took only 3 days to get to midwest.
Lori, I didn't know it was approved by the FDA. Let me know if you have any luck with insurance.
MikeV

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #7 - 01/18/12 at 13:20:16

Besides cost, is there supposed to be a health advantage to Ketotifen?  Is it correct that it's both an antihistamine and mast cell stabilizer?  Is is added to the antihistamine regimen or are those cut back?

Joan

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #8 - 01/19/12 at 04:38:52

Joan:
My understanding of it is that it is better absorbed by the body than gastrocrom. The down side is that some people experience more
sleepiness with in & more munchies. So far no sleep problem, but
are a little bit more hungry. But as I said I'm early into my experiment. The real test will be this next week when I plan to up to 2 pills a day. In addition haven't changed any of the rest of my meds.
MikeV

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 01/19/12 at 06:50:51

Joan;
My undersatnding is that its an antihistamine(H1) and also has antiinflammatory benefits. I got my info from... this forum. My allergist remembers taking it when he was a kid in India when he got sinus infections,etc.
Also the notice that its been recently approved by the FDA- Altho, as per usual- I Forgot exactly Where on here I read that... Embarrassed
Thinking of getting a job as a "Confessor"; people could bare their souls to me and I guarantee I'll forget what they told !!!  Huh
As far as munchies- I havent lost much weight lately, BUT
that could be do to the fact that it does help with stomach issues.
hope i helped some,
lori

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 01/20/12 at 16:25:25

Hey Mikev, so glad you are doing well this round with the ketotifen! I was able to ramp up pretty quickly with it, to 6 mg a day (2 mg pills). I take mine all in the evening, just because it is easy, and was told that it builds up, so you don't have to spread it out. I take one at dinner, and the other two at bedtime. Don't know if this is true, but I seem to be doing pretty well on it.

Joan, in addition to helping my GI symptoms, ketotifen has almost eliminated my severe joint pain and swelling. It feels to me as though it hits different histamine receptors that the other meds I am taking. And yes, it is also a mast cell inhibitor.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 01/20/12 at 16:33:07

Susan;
Are you taking other H1s/H2s ? Do you find that much Ketotifen makes you drowsy ? I'm always concerned about being tired from the meds...
I still havent gone up to 2mg.s yet, because the days I have energy are few n far between.
lori

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 01/20/12 at 19:43:22

Yes, I am taking plenty of antihistamines.

I take Zyrtec, Zantac, Ketotifen, and Singular. I don't really find any of them make me sleepy, but that is very individual. One of my symptoms of a reaction is to have periods where I practically pass out, or keep nodding off. That has improved on antihistamines, and I get better sleep, so I am less sleepy.

Susan

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #13 - 01/21/12 at 09:20:31

susan:
thanks for the support.  Day 1 of 2/ day. The pharmacist said the way you are doing it was the right way. Of course I have to be different. My afternoons especially during the work week get tough, so I'm going to try one at lunch time & then the other at night. If this doesn't work I switch to your way. Good to hear about your joint pain being better, since I'm 65 & played lots of competitive tennis I have my share of that. Continued good luck to you.
MikeV

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 01/21/12 at 09:38:57

Mike, the joint pain improved slowly, but all of the sudden I realized, no more swelling or pain! So let's hope it works out for you.

Susan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print