Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dry nasal passages and mouth (Read 2300 times)
Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Dry nasal passages and mouth
12/28/11 at 17:12:03

In case anyone else is having this problem (antihistamines + winter + hypothyroidism = extreme dryness for me!) I thought I would pass along a few solutions I've found that seem to be helping...

- Saline nasal spray
- Biotene mouth spray (reaches the back of my throat)
- Biotene mouth gel (seriously moisturizing)
- Ketotifen eye drops

The worst time for me is at night.  The dryness was actually interfering with my sleep Sad  I've been using all of these tricks right before I go to bed.  So far, so good!  Last year I was able to cut back on my H1s for the winter, but not this year... too much nausea.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Dry nasal passages and mouth
Reply #1 - 12/28/11 at 17:47:56

Starflower;
Amen to that ! What brand of eyedrops ? Ive just been using some moisturizing ones, but for what they cost, may as well try the good stuff.  Also, if we keep moisturized, I think we're less prone to sore throat,etc... I keep water on my nitestand every nite, along with the eyedrops.
Good advice Star  Smiley!
lori

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 12/28/11 at 19:09:59

If using saline nasal rinses, be sure to use distilled water to mix the solution or use a commercial one, such as Ocean.

Joan

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 12/29/11 at 11:11:56

In the US ketotifen eye drops are called "Zaditor."  I bought the generic version at Target for about half the price.  I'm also using Target-brand saline nasal spray.  I hate having water up my nose, so for me it really needs to be a spray!  I've never used a neti pot.

Heather

ps - Aside from losing sleep, the worst side effect of the dryness for me has been an increase in cavities!  In the last year I've had to get three crowns and I'm due for another two next month Sad

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #4 - 12/29/11 at 14:58:17

Heather:
This may  sound goofy, but I found for the nasal drying using a lip balm & putting in my nose & rubbing it all around works great for me. I carry one around with me. The rounded shape of it seems to get all the areas of the passage. I like the medicated ones, not the flavored ones. Just something that works for me. The spraying saline solutions like ocean didn't seem to do anything. For eye drops I use the Refesh brand. Tears at night, gel during the day for me works best. If things get bad I use prescription Pataday-it flat out works & works fast, but expensive.
PS: thanks for the liquid benedryl tip. I use it at night now & it seems to stop  most night skin pain sessions that would wake me up. Amazingly the tablets didn't work in fact not sure if it didn't make things worst. Good luck with the dental work, when I had crowns done didn't cause any issues.
Hope to make it to Indy this year again. Will PM you with details if works out that I come.
Mike V

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 12/29/11 at 16:02:55

There are also some nasal gels available that are helpful for dry nose.  "Refresh" eye drops come in an unpreserved version (individual doses) that help my eyes a lot.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print