Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Travel tips (Read 5075 times)
nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Travel tips
12/28/11 at 04:17:35

I, too, love to vacation and have vowed not to let it be dismissed as part of my "past" life before IA.  It takes a little more work but it is so worth it.  I have a motto of "have kitchen, can travel".  I book at locations that have kitchens or kitchenette rooms available. We plan our meals before we go so we are not thinking about it while there, hit a grocery store before arriving at our location and always eat in.  I wash all the utensils before using them which means don't forget to buy dishsoap and a dish towel.  It works great for parties needing more than one room. You can book one kitchen room and then rest regular then everyone comes to your room for meals and you are in control of all the food.  I also pick locations that have an ER close by just in case. I scout out activities before I go and try not to do anything too risky. I went hiking in October in Zion for 6 days and did some and was fine but my downfall isn't heat it's cold and of course I live in Michigan. Go figure! This was my first trip in five years where I flew.  I called the airlines prior to booking and they said nuts were not served on the flight. I'm not "technically" allergic to nuts but they will trigger my IA if my bucket is full.  I called again the day before my flight and found this not to be true.  Spirit customer service was not consistent in their message. Research the airlines before thinking about booking and then call.  I came prepared with a dust mask, tiny white cotton gloves and a crib sheet for the the seat. By the way, the airline staff said this was a brilliant idea. I borrowed it from someone else.  Also, talk to the airline staff and ask them to board early.
If you take some proactive steps, I think you'll find you can travel to a lot of different locations.
« Last Edit: 01/04/12 at 15:29:00 by DeborahW, Founder »  

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Travel tips
Reply #1 - 12/28/11 at 18:22:19

This thread gives me hope. I used to LOVE travel prediagnosis and really hoping I'll get stable enough to do it again without steroids.

Did you have to use the mask often? When I had to travel to the US for health care I brought ice packs on board in case the plane got hot as I am majorly triggered by heat. I needed a doctor's letter to bring them.

I'd love to hear from more people about travel.
« Last Edit: 01/04/12 at 15:29:35 by DeborahW, Founder »  

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Travel tips
Reply #2 - 12/28/11 at 19:21:09

Safe travel is possible and wonderful, if one plans ahead.  Choice of destination makes a lot of difference, especially if there is heat or cold sensitivity involved.  I'm allergic to mold, so I have to be sure to go somewhere in the dry season.  We were in the Florida Keys a few weeks ago, and it was great for me because we only had one brief rain in two weeks.

If we're staying in a hotel or motel, I always call ahead and ask them to clean with unscented products, as well as making sure everything, including bedspreads and shower curtains have been washed before our arrival.

When traveling, it's important to make sure you carry extra meds, in case of bad weather or other problem that keeps you from getting home on time.  I usually carry an extra week's worth, even though I know I can get a few at the pharmacy to tide me over in an emergency.

I travel as much as possible and carry a small pharmacy along.  I don't like to spend any vacation time shopping for meds, so I have a backpack that I fill with whatever I think I might need, including prednisone, antihistamines, other stomach meds,  epipens, supplements, etc.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I'll feel safe traveling in South America.  Tonight our friends from Chile said that in every rest area along the main highways there are a doctor and a nurse.  It's also a dry climate, so I can stay away from my enemy trigger, mold.

A doctor told me to eat vegetarian when I travel, and I'll be less likely to have a problem with food.  Meat has such a tendency to spoil or grow histamine, and it's best to stay away from it unless you know for sure it's fresh.

If you're not yet stable, then it might not yet be time to travel very far.  Once you are stabilized, then you can decide where you feel safe going.  I would recommend being very optimistic about this!
« Last Edit: 01/04/12 at 15:30:16 by DeborahW, Founder »  

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Travel tips
Reply #3 - 12/29/11 at 11:34:13

Thanks Joan! Helps so much to have hope!

Yes I am trying everything to STAY PUT until I stabilize but as I'm sure many of you know, this can be a challenge due to various life factors
« Last Edit: 01/04/12 at 15:30:34 by DeborahW, Founder »  

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Travel tips
Reply #4 - 12/30/11 at 06:06:59

It is important to always carry emergency meds with you. I just returned from Disney, and one night actually did have an attack (from food that I thought was safe). My usual methods of doubling my meds didn't work. By chance, I happened to have some prednisone with me (I was lucky, because I usually don't have a prescription for that.) I finally took one dose (which for me was 40 mg). It totally stopped the attack and I was fine. Thank goodness! I can tell you that whenever I vacation now, I will be asking my doc for some prednisone in the event of an emergency like that. Prednisone is never to be toyed with or taken on a whim, but since I typically almost never have a true severe attack  - let's say once in 5 years, I feel pretty secure that I won't easily decide to take it. I like knowing my options, though.
« Last Edit: 01/04/12 at 15:31:29 by DeborahW, Founder »  

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Disney World, Orlando, Florida
Reply #5 - 01/04/12 at 15:32:22

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print