Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slow GI motility (Read 7358 times)
hb36
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Slow GI motility
12/17/11 at 14:46:09

Can anyone suggest anything to try for constipation?  Sometimes I feel like I can't possibly have MCAS.  So many of you seem to have the opposite problem.  My stomach is not distended so I don't think I am swollen to be causing it.  I am using probiotics, ranitidine, miralax and just added a little magnesium for this.  Following low histamine diet and GF recently too but still learning.  Any suggestions until I can see my doctor next?  Thanks!  

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Slow GI motility
Reply #1 - 12/17/11 at 16:04:49

stewed prunes..or prune juice..taste bad but a good natural product

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 12/17/11 at 18:28:01

My suggestions would be, if you're not already doing these.....

Drink more water
Eat salads and fresh fruits and veggies every day
Eat more high fiber foods, such as whole grains
Eliminate potentially binding foods from your diet, such as rice and cheese
Don't take any calcium supplements with calcium carbonate in them.
Try the probiotics every other day or just 3 times per week
Keep track of what you're eating and correlate that with your symptoms
See your gynecologist for a check-up

Joan

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 12/18/11 at 03:53:15

Hi hb!!
I just wanted to let you know that both chronic diarrhea and constipation are symptoms of this disease. We often end up playing both ends (ha another pun lol). Hope you feel better soon!
hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

ShellyHunter
Rookie

Proud mom and grandma!!

Missouri
Reply #4 - 12/18/11 at 08:27:40

Not having diarrhea but being constipated most of the time is what makes my dr second guess diagnosing me with MCAD. He says I should have awful diarrhea. I say I am on too many meds that keep me constipated, I can't have diarrhea. He says I should anyway.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 12/18/11 at 12:11:05

Shelly not having diarrhea is good it probably means that you are doing well tweaking your meds. I get diarrhea when either my meds arent right or I eat something I shouldnt have. You dont "have" to have it if youre under control. Tell your DR he will learn from YOU , lol.
hugs
Ramona

IP Logged

hb36
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 12/19/11 at 08:19:21

Thanks for the tips everyone!  I went to get a massage today and the therapist said my muscles are in knots...maybe my stomach is too.  I called my doctor today because of very low bp and stomach issues.  I am hoping he will start me on Gastrocom...guess I'm hoping it will help the constipation.

Ramona, nice to see you on here!   I was beginning to worry about you Smiley

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #7 - 12/19/11 at 09:21:44

Hi hb and thanks for the kind words Smiley

What strength of Zantac do you take?? I take 300 mg twice a day, which is normal for most of us on the board....If you have any problem with heartburn or GERD take Prilosec (the cheap generic one) but only take it temporarily (30 days) OR when you need it. This is a proton pump inhibitor and will help you get the acid under control.

While you wait to see your DR I would try to stay on more natural forms of help for that constipation--like prunes, applesauce etc... hot drinks in the morning, walking (as much is comfortable for you) yogurt with live cultures, etc. If you need to use a medication, I would not go any farther than something like COLACE which is over the counter, cheap and is a softener not a laxative. The problem with us is, if you push the issue too far you will throw yourself into the opposite side--diarrhea. Thats why I suggest whatever you do, make it gentle. I agree with Joans suggestions too. Hope youre better soon.
hugs
Ramona

IP Logged

shabrans
Tutor

Reply #8 - 12/20/11 at 04:40:46

I also have troubles with constipation and am limited in  foods I can eat to remedy this as have problems with saliclyates as well as histamines.I do try to walk or do yoga daily(small amts as activity is trigger-i have fibro so doesnt take much activity).Anyways I laso take probiotic daily and recently went from 1 to 2 tablets magnesium daily which is now starting to help-i have used epsom salts too in small amts but taste so horrible and dont want that as routine thing.Gastrocrom did help some too but now decreasing dose waiting for ketotifen instead as gastro is just too expensive for me.   Good luck.

IP Logged

hb36
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 12/20/11 at 08:45:47

Thanks!  yes, I take Zantac 300 mg twice a day.  It doesn't seem to help much though.  My stomach still churns over and over.  You can hear it and it grosses people out!  I was taking Omeprazole for several months (prescribed by my GI) long before I had even heard of mast cell stuff.  I read that you can have problems with B12 deficiency, etc. after long term use of PPIs so I quit and I had a total rebound effect that was awful.  So now I am afraid to try it again Sad  Maybe I just need to get over that fear.  

Shabrans, do you find that increasing the magnesium lowered your blood pressure alot?  I often have low BP and I was a little worried about increasing for that reason.  Yes, Gastrocom is so expensive which is why I am not on it yet!

IP Logged

Kate:
Tutor

Reply #10 - 12/20/11 at 12:00:43

I don't have any suggestions for you, but just wanted you to know that I have MCAS and battle constipation.  Probiotics and magnesium seem to help.

Kate

IP Logged

shabrans
Tutor

Reply #11 - 12/27/11 at 15:10:41

I have not noticed any change in blood pressure with magnesium and I do have uuproblems with it dropping sometimes though much more stable with all the meds

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #12 - 12/27/11 at 20:31:31

I use epsom salts in my baths.  Supposedly, it's absorbed through the skin.

Simethicone helps a gassy stomach.  Gas-Ex or a generic, used as directed on the box, can keep the noise down.  Run it by your doc, though, before trying anything new.

Joan

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 12/28/11 at 17:11:28

Omygosh;
I recently P.M.ed Lisa cuz I had "issues" with "Fast Motility", and was too embarassed too ask the forum ! Embarrassed
I was wondering if it's okay to take something like Imodium, etc.?
Anyhow, how silly of me  Cheesy !  Hb36- how does your body react after a massage ? I've had two since being diagnosed. First time, I was fine. Second time, I had awful gut issues- but couldve been cuz Id indulged a bit the day before -and toxins were releasing  Undecided ?  I'm going for a massage on Friday, so we'll see...
so good to know we're not alone!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print