Send Topic Print
Vitamin D (Read 7183 times)
jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Vitamin D
12/14/11 at 04:22:45

Hi,

Here is a link to an interesting article about vitamin D research.  Although it is written primary about prostate and colon cancer, it highlights the need to understand the role of vitamin D in neoplasms. However, I am not aware of any information regarding this and mast cells specifically, so I would follow what your doctor tells you regarding your vitamin D levels.  However, there might be some good information coming up about nutritional factors in the future.

http://preventcancer.aicr.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=21317&news_iv_ctrl=...

IP Logged

phyre
Tutor

Keep believing it can
get better.
Denver, CO
Re: Vitamin D
Reply #1 - 12/16/11 at 06:59:36

Thank you.  This is so important because people with masto are often low in vitamin D, and our risk for different cancers is high.

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 12/16/11 at 21:59:53

I know Vit D deficiency is very common in the general population, but I am interested in knowing more about the connection with mast cell disorders, why it might be more prevalent as well as how it might be impacting the immune system. There are some interesting articles out there.

Cameron has just been found to have a severe deficiency, after 2 years in a tropical climate. I wonder whether there is some connection with the state/structure of his skin, which is amongst his biggest issues, that means he is not able to make vit D from the sunlight exposure he does get. Anyone have any clues about this?

Ruth

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 12/17/11 at 18:16:36

When we're sick a lot, we're not in the sun, and if we're not in the sun, without sunscreen, we're not getting Vitamin D.

I've wondered if another problem is absorption of nutrients from food, too.  I only have a small rash on a foot, and it's not UP or TMEP; and I was deficient in vitamin D.  I take a lot of vitamin D.

Joan

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 12/18/11 at 08:50:16

I also wondered about malabsorption, as that was suggested by a doctor who ran some tests, but what I'm reading about vit D seems to say that no-one can get enough from food anyway, you get most of it from sunlight exposure.

As Australians we have always been very conscious of skin cancer and vigilant about sunscreen, so that could explain it. The combination of fatigue and the sedentary lifestyle of teenagers these days might also explain it. However I have 2 other children who have had a similar lifestyle in the same climates and as far as we know have not had such problems.

This website www.vitamindcouncil.org has some really interesting information. Not sure how credible it all is, it links vit D deficiency to a lot of conditions.

Ruth

IP Logged

phyre
Tutor

Keep believing it can
get better.
Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 12/18/11 at 16:08:30

I can't argue that the health of your skin can play a role in Vitamin D absorbtion, but the stomach plays a big role in absorbtion.  The only way to absorb vit D through the stomach is with fat so you need to eat with it.  People with masto have food allergies and/or sensitivities, and this is because the stomach lining is lacking the ability to break these things down before they go into the blood stream.  I don't know why we have thin stomach linings, but I know digestive enzymes can help improve on your digestion and possibly vitamin absorbtion.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print