Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Disney World, Orlando, Florida (Read 6516 times)
DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Disney World, Orlando, Florida
12/07/11 at 03:15:20

So, I wanted to share information about safe vacation spots for people like us with mast cell disease and so many weird triggers. I discovered years ago that Disney World is one of the safest places that we can go to for vacation. Here are the reasons:

1. Guest Assistance Pass: Disney will give people like us a Guest Assistance Pass. You request it at the Guest Services at any of the Disney parks when you arrive. You don't need a doctor's note; you just go and explain that you have a rare disease, etc. and that fatigue and heat will trigger all of your symptoms. Therefore the safest thing for you is a pass that allows for alternative lines and entrances. Essentially, this type pass (there are others, so you want to be specific) results in a front of the line pass (don't call it that, though). You NEVER have to wait in line even during the busiest of seasons. (We always go during Xmas break or Spring Break. It is great. You just get into every ride immediately.) The pass allows you and 5 guests to do the rides together. So, your family can come with you without waiting as well.

To reduce stress even further for me when requesting the pass, I just show them my doctor's protocal note of what I would hand to the ER if I got ill. Mine is on Dr. Akin's letterhead and he has written that I have IA and what an ER should do if I were to get sick. Disney doesn't question people and give them the third degree about getting a pass, but I want them to know I am telling the truth, so I just show them that. Now, since we go every year, I just save the pass and the next year go to Guest Services, show them the old pass, tell them about my IA and request a new pass (they have expiration dates on the passes). They replace it with the same pass current for the dates I will be there. It is simple and the pass stays valid your entire stay for your whole party (up to 6 people).

2. Disney goes out of their way to help people with disabilities. If you stay in one of their resorts (good bargains are always available; never pay full price),  you can request things due to medical reasons. For example, we are going to Disney this winter. I booked at one of their resorts (do the booking via telephone to make requests. Online booking doesn't always reflect resort room availability correctly.). When I booked my room, I told the reservationist that I had a rare disease and that fatigue and sun make me even more sick. Therefore, the more I reduce extra walking, the better. So, I requested a room near the resort bus stop (Disney has free transportation to all their parks) and restaurant. Even though I booked a standard room and they won't guarantee that they can give me a good location, I have always had this request honored. I also request a refrigerator in my room for medicines. Now, I don't actually have any meds that need refrigerating, however having cold bottled water in the room to drink constantly when we are there is yet another way of me preventing my symptoms for triggering. I tell them I need it for meds, though, and they don't ask questions and they instantly guarantee it for me. Lastly, I was even able to request no fragrance in the room. Although we don't have allergies, it is easiest to sometimes just say that your illness is like a very severe allergy issues. People understand that.

3. Food and restaurants. At Disney the restaurants bend over backwards to makes sure people with allergies or medical issues can eat. When you make a reservation, you mention that you have allergies. They can arrange special meals in advance to be waiting for you. Or you can do what I do and when you arrive at the restaurant, you tell them you have allergies (once again, I don't have allergies, but they won't understand my whole mast cell thing otherwise). Many of the cool Disney restaurants have buffet dinners (actually really good food, not typical buffet fare). The chef will come out and walk the buffet and tell you what you can and cannot eat after you tell him what ingredients you need to avoid. Then he will keep asking and insist that he make you something special in addition. It is so nice, and I have found that as long as I remain aware, I can actually eat certain things on vacation there! (My default is dessert. I can always eat ice cream for dinner and not get ill if I am hungry and there is nothing else safe to eat. LOL Watch out for hidden ingredients in some desserts. Remember, these days it is a trend to put liquor in many desserts for flavoring....)

For those wanting to go to Disney and stay onsite in one of their resorts (which is must easier and less stressful for people with illnesses), always go to this Disney Fan website (www.mousesavers.com) , which has the most up to date discounts available for room only resorts and discount tix. Room can be gotten for really low prices! Even in the highest season (Xmas), you can get a value resort for $76/night if you use the discount codes. In their "value seasons", rooms go even lower in price!

So, these are the basics of why Disney is such a safe vacation. Any questions about Disney? Just ask me!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Re: Disney World, Orlando, Florida
Reply #1 - 12/22/11 at 12:57:11

Wow! 76 a night, that's awesome. I love Orlando. I stayed at the Caribe Royale and they have a nice pool that has lots of shaded areas as well as cabana. They don't use fragrances either...so nice. What resort do you guys stay at? I wanna take the girls to Disney World but 4 and almost I think is a little young, so I will wait a couple of years so they can enjoy more.
Thanks for sharing this info.
Melissa

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #2 - 09/22/12 at 16:14:40

Deborah, you have inspired me to make my goal trip when I'm healthy enough to Disneyworld.

This is giving me something to fantasize about before I have surgery. Thanks for sharing all of this information! I know it's probably at least a year away for me if all goes well, but it will make it sweeter when it arrives!

If I can't fly due to scents we're looking at road tripping from Canada and there's an RV park and campground right in the park. Very cool!

Splash mountain here I come!!

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #3 - 01/25/13 at 01:22:30

Guess where I am going with the family and my mom in March? Back to Disney World!  Grin My home away from home! This year my daughter goes back to Disney to compete in a 2 day cheerleading competition that takes place in Disney. Of course, we will stay a week after the competition and vacation there as well. Yay, yay, yay....

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print