Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new to forum (Read 1522 times)
shabrans
Tutor

new to forum
11/22/11 at 05:45:27

Hi,
 I have been reading items on forum for a while but have just recently joined.This is my story.I started having problems with reactive symptoms just after Christmas last year at first thought was my asthma but didnt feel right(had reaction to scented lotion) just felt very shaky weak,sort of breath did inhalers and even took a benadryl nothing worked so to the ER i went ended up with viral symptpms for 3 to 4 weeks (headche.cough.nausea diarrhea) was flushing constantly -had never done that before as I am perimenopausal thought prednisone might be aggravating that somehow....anyways was very weak could barely walk to bathroom and back.After that think my stomach just never recouped very upset indigestion then started reacting to all sorts of foods (tachycardia,palpitaions,blood pressure changes,severe headache,nausea,flushing,feeling faint) Talked with docs but didnt get much advice.I realized when comparing the foods I had problems with(mint,pepper,spinach) they were all salicylates so started avoiding these which did help quite a bit but still wasntg right.Over next few months saw allergist tryptase 19 she didnt believe it had rerun the same test 2 more times -still the same.Then repeated a few months later was 21.Urine histamines negative,bone marrow negative.Urine for carcinoids and pheochromocytoma negative.I did realize after having to avoid bananas when testing that felt better without them thats when I realized should be careful with histamines as well.Eventually started taking pepcid 20 mg bid (cant take zantac),allegra 180 daily-then added claritin 10mg eve(cant take zyrtec or singulair due to side effects/reactions) also ativan 1 mg tid
I have asthma and fibromyalgia-possibly chronic fatigue syndrome so have been unable to work for 6 years. Difficulty getting out and about with just these. I did manage to get to Dr Akin Nov 10 he stated bone marrow does have extra mast cells and thinks I probably have MCAS(some people do have elevated tryptase in this cayegory).I finally got gastrocrom(which I had been begging my doc for for months but he didnt feel comfortable ordering until I had a diagnosis)
Am already noticing a difference with this.(and the cooler weather-boy did I feel rotten over the summer even with air conditioning).I have many similar triggers to what I have read in this forum with one exception I trigger when i go too long without eating-initially would have to eat sm meals every couple hours even overnight-that has settled now to much more manageable every 4 to 5 hours and can sleep without having to eat.But had not read of anyone else having this.I did get a glucometer and checked my blood sugars they have all been normal.  I am at present waiting repeat tryptase,urine methylhistamine and prostaglandin results.I want to tell you all how helpful reading info in this forum has been .

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: new to forum
Reply #1 - 11/22/11 at 08:10:17

Hello and welcome!

I'm not one of the most knowledgeable here, but I agree you fit in like a charm. I can relate to many of your symptoms especially the flushing and food sensitivities.

Sounds very much like a mast cell disease. Do you have follow-up with Dr, Akin.

I am also in the phases of sorting this all out and trying to get stable but people tell me that once we get there we can live a semi normal life so I am very helpful for that.

I have started blogging about my symptoms too if it helps you

http://mastcelladrenalinsufficiencypots.blogspot.com/

If you post your medication doses it will help others give better advice.

IP Logged

shabrans
Tutor

Re: new to forum
Reply #2 - 11/28/11 at 01:01:06

In terms of follow up it was left that he would work with my doc as needed and i could call him any time but no specific follow up date.
my meds I think listed before-
ativan 1 mg tid
allegra 180 mg am
pepcid 20 mg bid
gastrocrom 200mg qid
claritin 10 mg hs
serevent bid
pulmicort bid
also take vit d and magnesium
then benadryl and epipen if needed

thanks for the link to your blog -have actually checked this out before-keep up the good work

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print