Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need new family doctor? (Read 2938 times)
kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Need new family doctor?
11/19/11 at 06:59:45

So I over did my limitations last weekend. I'm prone to the whole bone/joint pain and when I do too much often times my bones pay for it. So after last weekend sure enough my bones started a party but this time my right hip decided to be the center of attention. It's a pain different then usual. It is a very sharp pain and only happens when I bare weight on my joint, as in taking a step. It does not hurt with every single step. I may walk three or five or tensteps and then BAM extreme pain. I have fallen twice. The joint have started popping now when I walk.
So I go to my family doctor thinking he might send me for an xray. Nope! He told me to wait to see my oncologist. I shared with him that this pain is different then the normal pain I have due to the MCAD. didn't matter to him. He didn't want to attempt to investigate it for me. Hubby says I should find a new family doctor. What do you think?
Kim

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Need new family doctor?
Reply #1 - 11/19/11 at 08:42:33

I agree with your family doctor Kim!!!   You need to also speak with Dr. Afrin.    Just because MCAS is not known to invade tissues, it doesn´t mean that you are not having DAMAGE due to the mediators themselves! From what we are seeing of our cases, the mediators can target to certain areas of the body to cause inflammation.   That inflammation is damage.   With my case the inflammation is generalized but in one of my son´s cases his are targeted at the connective tissues and he has damage in one of his shoulder tendons and without a doubt this is due to his autoimmune form of masto.  

So, I do think your doctor is correct and you need to have the hematologist as well as Dr. Afrin involved in this.  Dr. Afrin is aware of this targeted inflammatory response and he needs to know about what is going on so that he can give instructions to your oncologist as to what needs to be seen and how.  He will know what techniques need to be taken to see this better.

Lisa

btw - not to make your husband sound bad, he´s not acting wrongly and in a normal person your husband´s thoughts are appropriate.  However, masto is not an ordinary disease and it´s very confusing to doctors.   Your doctor is correct in recognizing that the masto may have a role here.  I mean who ever would have guessed my masto had a role in my aortic aneurysm and where it would take us?   My angiologist certainly did not and she was the doctor responsible for my aneurysm!!!!   it was her area!    So, your doctor is right on the money!!!   Trust his opinion, Kim!

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 11/19/11 at 15:22:35

Yup, find a new doctor! Doesn't mean that you have to leave the old one if you like him. There is no law that says you can't have 2 regular docs! My original doctor kept telling me I had the flu when I got so ill the first time from mast cell disease. (This was years before I was diagnosed, of course.) I knew something was wrong, and he just kept saying it was the flu. A few nights later, I went into complete anaphylaxis (but no breathing problems), and ended up collapsed on the floor at home in the middle of the night. Ambulance came, then it was the ER, and then admitted to the hospital. (They had no clue I was in anaphylaxis, though.) Let's just say that I never went back to that doc who said I had the flu!! LOL

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #3 - 11/21/11 at 03:23:04

Thanks, ladies for your input. I have to be honest and say that I don't blame my family doctor for suggesting I see the oncologist. That particular visit to my family doc was the first time he learned from me that I have MCAD and he has had NO time to read, research or figure out anything as to treating me for anything. However, I'm SO grateful to have learned that even my hip issue could possibly be related to Mast Cell. I'm fairly sure that my oncologist will not know that.
As for contacting Afrin, I am going to wait to see if he contacts Afrin himself first. I just learned from Afrin last week that he has not heard back from this oncologist and I feel it is important that the oncologist work WITH Afrin in treating me. If he is not going to do this then I am going to attempt to find another doctor who will.
So again, thank you very much for both your input. Oh and Deborah, don't think that I'm blowing your suggestion off. I am going to also give my family doctor a chance to do some checking and learning himself and same for him. If he doesn't then I will look for a new one.
Have a great week ladies!
Kim

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #4 - 11/21/11 at 05:09:41

Kim,

There's nothing to hold you down to only one doctor.  You're not "married"  yet to this one.  Try another and see how that one receives you.  Then, who knows, the next may be a far better fit.   We patients tend to think that we're stuck with only one and that's just not so unless you live in a small town.  So, keep trying!

Another thing, MCAS  and  SM are the very same diseases!  They are only different forms of the same disease.  The one is more aggressive, but that doesn't mean the other doesn't do damage, it does, only because they've totally ignored it for so long, refusing to consider it the same disease, they don't know anything about it.   So, don't be thinking that these are seperate diseases, they are not.  MCAS is a much more milder version than SM, a different form, but not a different disease.

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 11/22/11 at 18:04:10

Hi Kim,
I just wanted to tell you that I have that same type of pain and i sucks LOL... In the early morning especially, my right hip threatens to collapse and I walk like a china doll until the meds kick in and I feel the swelling has gone down in the joint. I also have that pain in both shoulder blades and L4 L5 level in my back. Im also diabetic and now am having trouble with neuropathy in both feet, grrrrr....

Please expect an wray may come out ok because the mast cells are causing swelling in the joint which presses on nerves and that isnt usually seen in an xray--at least mine isnt... Yes contact your masto DR and let him do what is necessary for your pain to lessen.

I take Singulair for swelling, raise the level of Allegra and use cold pack and Vicodan, thats how I get through it, I wish you much luck to feel better again.
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #6 - 11/23/11 at 01:35:45

Hey Ramona, thanks for sharing that. I went to my local doctor yesterday. He is sending me this morning for an MRI. I asked him about changing my pain meds because Loratab isn't cutting it. Loratab only lasts a few hours and if I take a second dose later on it messes me up. Dizzy, naucious, palpatations. Anyway, he wanted me to wait until after my MRI before he gives me any different pain meds. Thanks for giving me a heads up in that quite possibly nothing will show up. Does you hip POP when you walk? Mine just started this a few days ago. The popping doesn't hurt but it seems to me that it wouldn't be popping unless something was out of whack either from swelling or maybe something else. I won't expect any REAL answers from this MRI. Thanks again.
Kim

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #7 - 11/23/11 at 09:12:02

Doc just called with MRI RESULTS. i broke my right hip! I'm shocked!!!! I've been telling everyone I didn't expect them to find anything and that it was probably another weird mast cell issue. Just goes to show you that it IS important to get all your symptoms checked out!

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #8 - 11/23/11 at 13:48:04

Oh Kim...............I am sooooo sorry you broke your hip!  Cry   I couldn't help but think, "How is it that our mast cell issues are so overwhelming that we don't even know we are supposed to feel pain when we actually break a hip!"  I am so sad for you.    

I do hope you will take care of yourself and NOT do too much!!  (I think next time someone else needs to help with the "deer" and with  entertaining all the company you have had!!)  OK?  Shocked  

It is "Kim Time" for awhile.....(not to make light of this at all, it isn't funny in any way) but....... bring on the fan, the foot heater, a few good books and some really long movies). OK?  Otherwise I will be writing often and asking all kinds of hard questions so you will have to do hours of research and sit still!!!!

Please take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sending lots of "heal fast" hugs to you, Lynda

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #9 - 11/23/11 at 15:30:44

Awww Lynda your concern is sweet and appreciated. Let me get through Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow and then I PROMISE I will take it easy. I go in on Monday to see an orthopedic doc. So I will see what he says. Also I've decided to email Dr. Afrin to inform him and ask him if he thinks mast cell's could be behind this mysterious break in my hip. With the holidays I don't expect the usual quick response from him and possibly not before I see the orthopedic doc so I'm going to take Dr Afrin's contact information with me and ask this doc on Monday to contact Dr. Afrin. I think that's a decent plan.
I just told my husband that while I was cutting up fruits tonight for the fruit salad I was thinking, "I'm a tough cookie! I've been a real trooper the past 12 days with this hip pain. I haven't complained and I've been fairly active (well being that active was not necessarily a good thing).
You are so on the money Lynda. It is a shame that having this Mast Cell disorder and the daily, chronic pain that comes with it (since I'm MOST DEFINITLY NOT on the right mix of medications yet) can be so overwhelming that pain from breaking a hip is just another 'tick' to add to the mass of other symptoms going on. I do have to add that having this mast cell thing has made me tougher! I don't think 5 years ago, had I broke my hip, would I have been so tough about it Smiley
I hope you have a great Thanksgiving Holiday and that everyone else does as well. Happy (but careful and safe) eating and hopefully enjoying family and/or friends!!!
Kim

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #10 - 11/23/11 at 19:42:17

Ok, "Lynda the Second".... "I'll just do this one more thing!"  AND THEN I WILL REST!  Oh ya....that Type A thing again!

Please let us know what the orthopedic doc says.  I will be anxious to hear.  I do remember reading that mast cells DO (or are suspected of being) somehow responsible for bone deterioration.  I know a lot of us have osteoporosis or osteopenia.  Another mystery??? Maybe one of our experts will have some input on this.

By the way...........I had a reaction to Allegra yesterday....that's two H1 blockers down...and I can't take Zertec because of the lactose monohydrate...and it can't be compounded.  Just had to tell you that because I had a question about the prednizone I am on so I emailed Dr. Afrin about an hour ago (12:00 a.m. my time) and I JUST RECEIVED a message (2:11 a.m.) his time!!  Oh my goodness.  I wanted to respectfully ask, "When in the world do you sleep???"  So in essence, I wouldn't hesitate to contact him if you need answers before Monday.  I believe you gave me the exact same advice one day when I really needed it.  Smiley  Just take care.....(I also believe I explained that I am older than you...so you need to respect your elders and that's an order to get some rest!)   Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print