Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question RE MCAD & Disability (Read 8978 times)
kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Question RE MCAD & Disability
11/05/11 at 03:57:56

Has anyone that has been diagnosed with MCAD or MCAS ever filed for disability? And if yes were you successful in getting approved?
Kim

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Question RE MCAD & Disability
Reply #1 - 11/05/11 at 13:48:22

I haven't but I've SURE been wondering about it as I haven't been able to work since this all started. I keep thinking I'll get better

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #2 - 11/06/11 at 02:43:52

Same here. I lost my job back in May and I know I would not be able to maintain a job in the shape I am in right now. My doc said it could take months and months if not years to find the right mix of meds that work for me. So in the meantime I have no job. I'm just not sure if it's possibl to get disability with a MCAD diagnosis. Very curious if anyone with this diagnosis has successfully done so.
Kim

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #3 - 11/07/11 at 03:53:41

Kim, talk with Ramona!  She can help get you into contacts with lawyers who may be able to help.

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #4 - 11/07/11 at 15:00:09

Thanks Lisa. I'll send her a msg.
Kim

IP Logged

Julie M.
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
DC Metro area
Reply #5 - 11/14/11 at 12:13:32

Kim,

I asked Dr. Afrin if he has seen patients successfully apply for SSDI with an MCAD diagnosis.  He responded that "yes" he has seen that happen.

I plan on asking him about preparing a letter for me for my SSDI application when I go see him in January.  As much as I hate to think about disability, I can't work right now and I'm just not sure when/if I'll be able to get back to work.  Who knows if I'll get approved, but I'm going to send a well documented application to SSA and see what happens.

Julie

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #6 - 11/14/11 at 12:19:21

I too am seeing Afrin in January. I think I will try to libe up what I can now and also ask him for a letter.
Hubby doesn't yet seem to be on board with this. When Imentioned it he gave me a song and dance about someone at his work who is dying from diabetes and still working. I'm still going to apply and see what happens!

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #7 - 12/15/11 at 19:51:49

Hi Kim!
If I can help you in any way, just PM me..
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
Reply #8 - 06/11/12 at 09:13:39

In 2005 my doc told me I was done working so I filed for the medical retirement from the police department.  When I tried to file for SS disability I was rejected, filed an appeal, they sent me to a psych and again denied.  I don't have MCAD or MCAS if have SM.  I finally gave up.  It was so not worth the stress and aggravation.  So after working all those years and paying into SS I guess my money is going to some of those lazy people who really fake stuff and just don't want to work.

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 06/12/12 at 16:38:02

i would not give up I have a friend who has dysautonomia/ pots and just got ssi a year ago no problem I also have a friend who has pots and CFS and has disability, I applied and have been denied twice but I understand that is normal now waiting for court date I have a great lawyer who wins most of his cases and he said the key is having a willing Dr who will write exactly what needs too be written in order too be approved , now my friend with pots had no support from her Dr's but recieved disability and basically she had a kind judge so go figure. I dont think anyone should wait too see their Dr its a very long process and if u apply and get it , it is retroactive. So apply now the Dr does the paperwork when you go too court. I wish I could go back too work I loved my job, I also think it depends on your age from what my lawyer said its easier when you are older then 50 but my friend was 48 when she got it??????

IP Logged

Rick
Rookie

Cumming,Georgia
Reply #10 - 04/29/13 at 13:06:38

I was 29 when I first applied for disability. It was initially denied which I think is automatic, I reapplied, they sent me to a psych Dr for evaluation which resulted in benefits retro to the date I first applied. Disability is not where I wanted to be at 30 years old so I fought my way back and got off it as soon as possible. I'm 57 now and it's still a battle to work 40 hours a week.

Rick

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #11 - 05/03/13 at 14:27:52

Thanks Rick. IF i apply and get approved I certainly don't want to stay on it long term. It's now been two years since I lost my job. I keep putting off filing for disability thinking I'm going to figure out what will make me better. GEEZ! Sitting here spelling it all out I realize after two years of hope, no progress and more issues....well, I probably ought to just apply!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print