Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reaction to loratadine??? (Read 2922 times)
lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reaction to loratadine???
11/02/11 at 16:24:18

Is it possible to have an actual reaction to one of the meds that are supposed to help you?  I started loratadine over a month ago and got really dizzy and nauseated.  I contacted my doc and he thought it might be a reaction to one of the inactive ingredients.  So he suggested trying a compounding pharmacy.  I did.

I received my capsules today and took one about an hour ago.  I feel awful.  My BP dropped within 10 minutes to 98/62, my pulse dropped from 86 to 73 and now my arm started swelling....not bad ( but I have no lymph nodes because of breast cancer surgery so my arm swells even when I eat a bit of salt).  I also am flushed and itchy.  Now, I am getting a headache and feel disoriented.

I opened the capsule (worried about the plastic) and poured the capsule contents into water and drank it.

(I was at my primary care today and diagnosed with acute exacerbated asthma and bronchitis.  She doubled my Advair and prescribed antibiotics and a new emergency inhaler.) I haven't taken the antibiotics yet because I wanted to start on the H1 blocker as I have been waiting for it for over a month.

The only other med I take is Pepcid...10 mg. 4x a day.

Do I dare take another loratadine capsule?  I remember reading somewhere that when you start an H1 or H2 blocker, it can play havoc with your mast cells?  

Any suggestions?

Thanks bunches!  Lynda

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Reaction to loratadine???
Reply #1 - 11/02/11 at 16:42:49

Hi Lynda,

Don't take another loratadine until you talk with your doctor, and please call her or whoever is on call for her tonight to at least report your reaction.

You might want to look on the packaging and see if what you took was a time-released capsule.  If it was, you may be having symptoms because 12 or 24 hours of medicine was released into your body at once when you opened the capsule and had the contents all at once.  If it has a "D" in the name or if you see that it contains a decongestant, the decongestant could be causing the problem, too.

However, it could be an allergic reaction to the medicine, since you had a problem before.  Here is what I found on a website about Loratadine:

"Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe or persistent dizziness."

and  "Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Loratadine/Pseudoephedrine 12-Hour Sustained-Release Tablets:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; difficulty urinating; fast or irregular heartbeat; mental or mood changes; seizures; severe dizziness; uncontrolled shaking or tremor."

Please do call your doctor to report your symptoms.  I hope you carry an epi-pen, too, in case of a severe reaction.

Many of us begin meds very slowly with very small amounts at a time and build up.  I like children's antihistamines that come in liquid form, so I can take only a tiny dose and increase in small increments if I don't react.  

Let us know how you are tomorrow!

Joan

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #2 - 11/02/11 at 18:04:03

Thank you for your rapid response Joan.  I appreciate your insight.  I had not thought of it as a 12 hour med with the possibility of a time release. I thought I remembered the pharmacist telling me I could open them. It would make sense that I should only take a small amount at a time.  I am usually so careful.....I think I have been sick for so long that I am desperate and tired and not thinking clearly.  

The instructions from my PCP (who called in the script for me) was to take 1 capsule by mouth every day.

These capsules were mixed from "scratch" by a pharmacist licensed to make them. All they have in them is the loratadine and some microcrystalline cellulose (the pharmacist explained that they had to mix it with something in order to measure the actual amount of loratadine).  So there is no decongestant or any thing else in them. The "reaction" felt almost the same as when I accidentally eat something that triggers me.  Only this time my BP and pulse fell..usually they sky rocket.

Part of the problem at this point is that I am still in the process of establishing local care. My doctor that agreed to work with Dr. Afrin is so booked that I couldn't get in until the end of November.  I saw Dr. Afrin in August.  It has been a challenge to get acute care. (And that is why I don't have an epi either).

As far as your suggestion of liquid meds, I have looked into them (benedryl, etc).  Every one I have found has a dye or flavoring or citrus...all of which are triggers for me.  I have talked to pharmacists, even called the companies that make the meds....no one seems to be able to answer ALL of the questions I have about the antihistamines so I have not taken anything but the Pepcid.  If there is something else out there I am missing???  

I promise I will email Dr. Afrin yet tonight.  He is very good at answering when he gets into the office in the morning.

Thank you again....this is scary and I am usually a pretty calm person.  Hugs, Lynda

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 11/03/11 at 05:47:23

The pharmacist who filled the Rx will know if the loratadine was time released.  It's possible you were reacting to the medicine itself.  Some antihistamines trigger some people.  You can ask the pharm., but most capsules are made of gelatin or cellulose, if they're clear.

There is a dye-free, children's Benadryl liquid available as well as adult strength dye-free liquid gelcaps of Benadryl.  If your pharmacy and/or grocery store don't carry these, they can order them for you.  I think the Zyrtec and Allegra liquids are also clear, but I don't know what else is in them.  Remember that the children's dose is 1/2 of an adult dose, so you might not get relief until you're able to work your way higher on it.  And, if you start having symptoms again, discontinue it.

I'm certain Dr. Afrin will prescribe epipens for you or give you a plan of what to do if you have another reaction.  Don't hesitate to call 911 if you have any breathing problems or mouth, tongue, or throat swelling!

Yes, it's scary!  You're not alone in that feeling.  The one thing that helps the most with that is to have meds that stop the reactions, and you're on your way to getting there.  Are you on the low histamine diet?  Has Dr. Afrin talked with you about Gastrocrom?  Might be worth asking.

Hope today is a better day!

Joan

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #4 - 11/03/11 at 17:44:36

I did PM you Joan, but I forgot to answer your question about diet.

Yes, I am on a NO histamine diet and a NO tyramine diet.  My neuro put me on the Low tyramine diet when I was diagnosed with dysautonomia last Dec.  I am limited to about 6 or 7 foods right now and can only drink almond milk in small amounts and water of course.  

I have lost 30 pounds since this started last year and continue to loose close to 1/2 pound a week....I will level off for a couple weeks at times but then just drop again.  I can't tolerate any dairy, soy, citrus, anything aged or any left overs. Unfortunately that eliminates just about every thing including protein drinks, etc. My hubby planted a garden this summer and I lived on grilled zuchinni, summer squash, potatoes, carrots, green beans, etc....he just puts them in olive oil and that's it!  I freeze all left overs and thaw them in the microwave and eat them right away and that works well.

Oh...about the other dye free meds.....I did talk to available pharmacists about the clear benedryl and they have citrus in them...he said that meant it was "real citrus" that was dried and added.  I am not sure if I would be able to tolerate that or not.  I also reacted to zertec...maybe the LACTOSE mono-hydrate.  Ugh...this is hard.

Thanks again...... Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print