Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Insurance Issue and Masto (Read 7523 times)
jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Insurance Issue and Masto
10/19/11 at 10:44:40

I need help masto buddies!  I just got my layoff notice, and found out that extending my insurance under my employer's COBRA is just financially impossible.  I would have to come up with $579/month!  I couldn't make that on just unemployment.

When I called and asked about trimming that down to a tailor-made, bare bones policy for me, I ran into a wall (I don't have kids or anything, so don't need the bells and whistles).  Basically, because of the mastocytosis, they said I was not eligible to get an individual policy until 6 months had passed due to a pre-existing condition.  I have Blue Cross.  My only option with them is to pay the $579 for six months, which is impossible for me to do financially.  This is ridiculous, because I have had them for the past six years, and am under their coverage right now!  I am indolent, so it is not like I am highly reactive or anything.

So masto friends, what have you done regarding such things?  Can anyone suggest a good insurance carrier that might take me on at a more affordable rate?  Aside from the masto, I am in really good health.  Just got checked over thoroughly a couple of months ago, and I am squeaky clean!

Please, any tips you have on how to get around this mess would be helpful.  Until I find another job, I may have to go without health insurance, and that would be awful.

Please keep me in your prayers.  I am under a lot of stress and this is very upsetting news to me.  I hope I don't start up with another round of "shocky-shock" and mess things up even more.  I don't know how I am going to get through all of this without having a major blowout! Cry

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Insurance Issue and Masto
Reply #1 - 10/20/11 at 11:32:39

Oh, if you happen to know of any good insurance carriers, or have information about being denied insurance because of pre-existing conditions, please let me know.  Thanks!

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #2 - 10/21/11 at 03:08:14

Oh jbean, I'm so sorry and wish there was something I could offer you that would be helpful. All I have are my prayers and I will be sure to add you and your situation. I hope someone else on this forum has some info to help you.
Kim

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 10/21/11 at 04:50:09

Jbean;
Sooo sorry- I just went  thru this. Finally able to go to Dr.s today, si thisll be quick. I had been put on my husbands ins. after losing mine. They said theyd pick me up from the day mine cut me off. then Im told they werent covering cuz of "pre existing cond. I Finally got to the bottom of it when I got a Certificate of Creditable Coverage (months after it shouldve been sent) to show Id been paying for coverage up til I was dropped. I also had been advised on here to contact my health ins.  & demand to speak with a Case Manaager; & to call my states Ins. Commisioner. I know what you are going thru and will pray extra hard for you. Wether we are christian on here or not- I truly believe- the More Positive Thoughts/Energy put out there for Others- It WILL help.
good luck!!! Smiley
lori

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 10/22/11 at 18:53:41

You might try to find out whether your state has a "high risk pool" in which insurers each agree to take high risk patients ( I.e., patients with potentially expensive conditions.). Whoever provides your car or other insurance might also be able to write a health insurance policy.  If you belong to any professional organizations, they might offer health insurance.

The pre-existing condition is a tough one.  Hope you can find something affordable!

Joan

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 10/26/11 at 09:29:28

So sorry everything is happening at once!!! In addition to the high risk insurance pool, check with your state on whether you would qualify for Medicaid. This is individual by state as to how it works. If all else fails, check out whether there are low cost clinics. I have found that if you are very lucky, some of the docs in low cost clinics are actually open to treating unusual illness. It wouldn't be your best option, but maybe better than no care.

But definitely check in with your state, and with the unemployment people. I am sure you are not the only one with this problem, and maybe they have some solutions. COBRA is ridiculously expensive!

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 02/14/12 at 05:06:34

Update on my insurance issue.  One of the insurance companies I applied to declined me because they dumped indolent systemic mastocytosis in the same category with mast cell leukemia and mast cell sarcoma (Brilliant!).  Obvisously they have no understanding of the distinctions between these conditions, or even what "idolent" means.

So, I wound up going back to my former insurer, and purchasing an individual policy BEFORE my former policy expired.  This is an important point for anyone switching insurance.  It goes way easier if you don't have a gap in insurance.  

I called my state's insurance regulation office, and they gave me a lot of helpful information and advocated for me.

I have a high deductable now, and have to wait 180 days to cover anything masto-related, but at least I have something to back me up.  It was half the price of the COBRA insurance cost I would have had to pay after losing my job.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #7 - 02/14/12 at 09:02:42

Glad there's some progress jbean!

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 02/15/12 at 07:03:00

JBean;
How aggravating these insurance issues can be-not to mention the added stress ! When I was so sick I had to resign from my job-they tried to decline coverage (husbands Insurance). I had to jump through hoops to prove that I was covered under my ins. right up until the day I was added to his. God bless the ins. coordinator for his company-she made it retroactive so Id be covered-and they STILL gave me & my dr.s a hard time! We work for years, pay into the system, then they try to dump us when we really need them.
SOOO- anyone in this situation- make Sure you are gonna be picked up by the new insurance As Soon As yours ends, or they will say you had a pre-exsisting condition,etc etc. Also, if you have health ins., and your spouse does too, you can also do a "coordination of benefits sometimes.
hope this helps others, and good luck J,
lori

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 02/27/12 at 09:35:39

Good post Lori.  Yes, it is very important not to let your insurance lapse for even a day.  Any way that they can cut you out of getting insurance, they will do it.

IP Logged

CrystalG
Tutor

If you are at peace, you
are living in the present

Maine
Reply #10 - 08/14/12 at 06:13:55

Jbean I am going through this right now as well. I got a layoff notice as of July 5th and am now paying Cobra $650 dollars a month, which I cant afford, but I have no choice. I have applied for Medicaid, but "i make too much on my long term disability," which I dont know how this is possible. I am going to now call my state insurance regulation office to see if they have any ideas as I just can't continue to afford COBRA. Thank you everyone for all of the helpful advice on this.

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #11 - 09/14/12 at 19:19:56

I recently learned my COBRA was ending.  Two private insurance companies denied me, one just by my height and weight, and the second after 2.5 hours on the phone, it went to underwriting, then I was denied due to mast cell and dysautonomia. But they sent me a brochure for our state Health Insurance Risk Sharing Pool insurace program, called HIRSP.  

There are two programs. I met the requirements for our state HIRSP program by reason of my COBRA coverage ending, so I did not have to declare my health condition and there are NO PREEXISTING conditions issues for me.  Had I been without insurance for at least 6 months, I would have been eligible for the Federal HIRSP program.  

I am now paying about $250 a month less for insuarance but do not have dental insurance now.  My meds will cost more than before, but much less than the difference between COBRA premiums and my old copays.  My new insurance also opens up my providers to nearly every provider in the state, instead of just one health system being in network.  

This program is really a blessing.  Check out your states' program or the federal program if you are without insurance.  

Best wishes,
Lyn      

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print