Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
inability too sleep at all (Read 5751 times)
goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

inability too sleep at all
10/15/11 at 13:48:24

Ok here is the deal I am up too basically a full dose of antihistamines, I am feeling somewhat better but OMG I can't sleep. I wonder if anyone has the same problem. Could it be the antihistamines are having an opposite effect on my body's ability to fall asleep or keeping me awake I know I can't take benadryl at all gets me wired. I am taking ativan and now atarax together too help me sleep, I think the atarax has helped my mast cell condition I seem too not be flaring as much anymore. I still get the tachycardia but the syncope seems too be better but I can't live without sleep anymore. I had a sleep study nothing is wrong just found I don't sleep took me three hours too fall asleep and only slept for two hours during the whole sleep study. I am on 25mg of atarax it puts me into a trance but I don't sleep anyone ???? thanks again for insight into this problem

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: inability too sleep at all
Reply #1 - 10/15/11 at 14:52:58

Of course ask your doctor first, but I found doxepin very helpful for sleep.  In addition to being sedating, it is both an H1 and H2 blocking drug.

Joan

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 10/16/11 at 07:21:49

OMG Joan could not take that drug tried kept me awake it seems like every antihistamine keeps me awake UGH but thanks for that thought. Even the sleep Dr my neurologist is at a loss.

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #3 - 10/16/11 at 15:40:43

Can you list exactly what meds you take and the doses? I have never heard of any mast cell people who actually experience insomnia from these meds. Since they all cause fatigue, it just doesn't make sense. Are you taking any meds for any other conditions? Perhaps it is one of those causing the problem.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #4 - 10/16/11 at 16:27:14

I have a degree of insomnia. I have figured since changing meds that it was not from my medication. My medication used to make me 'more' fatigued but even then I still had difficulty falling asleep and would wake up nightly and struggle to get back to sleep. Even after changing meds I still experience this. I too might have thought it was my meds had I not had everything changed out to more mild meds (which aren't helping me on so many levels). So perhaps its a separate symptom that doesn't necessarily involve the medications. Just a thought.
Kim

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 10/17/11 at 11:44:23

All I know is prior too getting sick I used too sleep without any problems. Its seems the vistril 25mg that I was started on has started to help me but last night I guess my body was so tired I slept 12 hours , and I was really tired all day today. I can't win, I think it has something too do with the dysautonomia/ pots I have but both mast cell Dr's I saw told me when the mast cells quiet down I should be able too sleep better. I even tried half the vistril and i could not sleep so that is why I took the full dose. I take zantac 150 2x day, zrytec 5mg am 5mg 2pm and 10mg pm. Singular 10mg pm ( new drug for me) and Vistiril 25mg hour of sleep, and clonodine patch .1mg changed weekly and atenlol 25mg once a day actually I cut it in half and take 12.5mg twice a day, I have tried to stop the atenlol but my heart rate goes too fast. I also take Tramadol as needed for my headaches. Oh I also take ativan when I go too sleep its amazing now thinking about it I should be out with all the sedating meds I take I don't understand this. One more question that I have been meaning too ask, after I have a bad mast cell attack like today my face was really flushed and My BP went really high had a bad headache the one thing I notice is after this type of attack for about three hours I urinate at least every 15min and I mean urinate not drops anyone else get this after a bad attack?

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 10/24/11 at 14:15:23

Sorry to hear you are not sleeping. I have been through long periods like this, and I know how hard it can be. I suspect that your adrenals are putting out high doses of cortisol to help your body handle the mast cell attacks. If your adrenals are dysregulated, they may be overproducing at night, when the levels should be going down. Of course you can't sleep. Your body thinks you are being chased by a tiger!

Phosphatidyl serine can help your body process excess cortisol. If you can tolerate it, try taking 500 mg before you go to bed.  Source Naturals makes a good one.

Yep, I have the excessive urination when reacting too. It is another stress response. One of the ways to lower blood pressure is to remove more fluid from the blood so that blood volume goes down. So your kidneys are stimulated to work overtime when there is pressure on the heart, or if your blood pressure goes up, or your heart rate goes too high. It is all tied together.

Try resting as much as possible until you are sleeping well. Listen to calming music, watch something happy on a movie or TV, spend time with friends, do whatever you can to keep yourself as calm as you can. It all helps as your body gradually learns to calm down with you.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #7 - 10/24/11 at 14:45:37

i agree with Deb, all our drugs slow metabolism, but can understand anxiety causing sleep problem, i take couple valium with my zrytec & liquid benedryl & gastrocrom. tough not to sleep then. the problem is sometimes takes a little effort to wake in the morning & of course the
main thing I do is read before bedtime to try to get my mind off my chronic skin pain. also if wake in mid night take some more liquid benedryl & read a little works for me unless I have a big release in the night then all bets off.
mikev

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 10/25/11 at 12:46:55

thankyou I am going too ask the dr about that supplement, I have been sleeping a little better lately but I have too take vistril with 1.5mg of ativan too fall asleep once I fall asleep which is quite a long time, I wake up after about three hours but then I take another .5mg of ativan and basically I am sleeping better with all these meds UGH. OF course if I have an attack during the night and my body gets on fire, I will not sleep no matter how many meds I take and benadryl for some reason does not react well in my body ???

IP Logged

m0xie
Rookie

Reply #9 - 11/09/11 at 04:48:14

I go through periods of insomnia- sometimes will last a few days, weeks or months, then will be ok for a while. I'm in the 'ok' phase right now, but a few months ago a naturopathic doctor told me to take melatonin, and it worked. I took 5mg about an hour before bed, and after about 6 weeks cut back to 3mg. I bought mine online, but I think you can get it at most grocery stores in the supplement section. I didn't experience any side effects from it, which I liked a lot. Check with your doctor first of course, but I was happy to finally find a more natural answer to my years of sleeping problems.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #10 - 11/11/11 at 13:42:42

This is sooooo not the natural solution... but I started having problems a few months ago with nightmares, anxiety, and depression.  I've found a low dose of Xanax before bedtime (0.25mg) to be very helpful.  The problem was a change in hormones, not mast cells.  I didn't have to change anything about my mast cell medications to get relief.

Now that I'm getting enough sleep I really feel like "me" again Smiley

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print