Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello All - New Member (Read 2636 times)
jennj
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Hello All - New Member
10/13/11 at 08:03:44

Hi Everyone,
I am so glad to have found this site.  You all seem very knowledgeable about the disease and extremely kind and compassionate.  I have spent hours reading posts and am gaining so much valuable information.  Thank you all for everything you contribute.  

I am undiagnosed but suspecting a mast cell disorder.  My story begins in April of this year.  I took an antibiotic (only 1.3 pills of the 20 pill prescription) and suffered what felt like an allergic reaction.  My tongue swelled mildly, my heart raced uncontrollably, and my head felt fuzzy.  My husband called 911 as I was fearing I may be heading towards anaphylactic shock.  The paramedics arrived and checked my vitals and all was well and they went on their way.  Over the next few weeks I had extreme nausea, blood sugar drops, uncontrollable shaking, severe depression, and tremors or convulsions (not sure exactly what you call them).  I saw many allergists and some suspected possible serum sickness.  I was put on Zyrtec and given prednisone.  The Zyrtec brought back my appetite immediately and I was able to function "ok" for the next two months.  As time wore on I became more intolerant of food and developed multiple chemical sensitivity.  Now today I live a nightmare.  I essentially eat white rice, organic butter, and sea salt every day for lunch and dinner.  I occasionally have a banana or peeled pear and organic yellow squash.  That is all I am able to eat.  I react to the Zyrtec pill too but it does more good than harm so I continue to take it daily.  Without it I am covered in hives and feel like my blood sugar drops to the point that shock could be coming.  I tried going off it for a week and learned the hard way that I can't get by without it.  I have a severe intolerance to sulfites and sulfur dioxide.  Because the dreaded antibiotic that initially set this off was a sulfa drug I believe there is some correlation.  That being said the removal of any sulfited food and any sulfate products has not cured me of this horrible problem.  So far no allergist, rheumatologist, or internal medicine physician has any clue what is going on with me.

Based on my now being intolerant to the world I am suspecting mast cell disorder.  I seem to continue to get worse and worse as time goes on.  This is a very scary experience and a nightmare to convince some doctors that I am as ill as I feel.  Most have looked at me and thought I was crazy or run the standard blood tests for allergies and said I'm allergic to nuts and beef and sent me on my way.

My tongue has stayed swollen since that first reaction to the antibiotic.  I also have a white film on my tongue that coats either all of it or parts of it depending on the day.  It seems to be allergy related.  I swell on my lower legs, ankles, and face mildly every day.  I struggle with depression some days and it stops as quick as it starts.  My eyes are dry, I have foggy brain, heart palpitations, and insomnia.  All my symptoms worsen during my menstrual cycle.

I have made an appointment with Dr. Schwartz in Richmond based on some posts I saw.  I live in the Virginia area so he seemed like the best option closest to me.  Can anyone recommend testing that I should ask my local allergist to perform on me prior to visiting Dr. Schwartz?  I'd like to have as much testing done before my visit with him as I can.

I also have autoimmune disease in my family.  Is there a test that is done to differentiate the autoimmune component of MCAD?    

Thanks for reading my story.  It's nice to "meet" all of you.  I look forward to communicating with everyone regularly and sharing ideas, support, and success stories.

Kindly,
Jenn

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Re: Hello All - New Member
Reply #1 - 10/13/11 at 08:57:40

Hi Jenn!

Welcome! I'm sorry to read all that things. Hold on and don't give up! Many of us are undiagnosed for a long time and lots of doctors look at us as we're crazy! I'm not from U.S. but I'm sure that someone here will be able to tell you which doctor is the best for you to see and is near to you. You didn't try to see a dermatologist or hematologist yet?

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

hb36
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 10/14/11 at 14:38:28

Jenn, I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time.  I don't know much about Dr. Schwartz but Lisa has spoken highly of him so I would go for it since you are in VA.  I had emailed Dr. Schwartz a few questions when I was looking for a doctor and he was quickly responsive via email (I got his email from the VCU website).  You might want to email him and tell him that you have an appointment and what tests would he recommend before you see him.  It might be that he only trusts his own tests and would just repeat them anyway.  Some of the mast cell tests MUST be handled very specifically to prevent false results.  

Good luck to you!  I hope Dr. Schwartz is able to help you!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 10/15/11 at 14:42:11

Hi Jenn,

Welcome to the forum.  Hope you can soon get to the bottom of these problems!

Yes, there are tests for an auto-immune mast cell disorder.  They're posted on this forum, if you can find it.  If not, let me know, and I'll PM the info to you.

A couple of thoughts about meds...  You are under-medicated if you do have a mast cell disorder.  Most of us take both H1 and H2 blockers twice a day.  Zyrtec is only for H1.  Zantac and Pepcid are H2 blockers.  These help with digestive problems.  Also, many of us find Allegra to be a good, non-sedating H1 med.  (i alternate Zyrtec and Allegra, for example.)  

if you don't want to try a completely new medicine, Xyzal is a newer version of Zyrtec, and it might have fewer side effects.  Hydroxyzine is an older version of Zyrtec (hydroxyzine), and it is good for brain fog.  Since it can be  sedating, it might be best for night use.  Of course, talk these things over with your doctor before you make any changes.

Starting new meds can be tricky, as you've found out, so be sure to talk this over with your doctor before you make any changes.  The allergist might let you try a new med in his/her office, in case you react.

Has the doctor checked your tongue for thrush (a yeast-like, fungal infection of the throat and mouth)?  That's a possible cause of the white patches, and it can cause systemic symptoms, too.

You might want to talk with a gi doc about the food intolerances, if you haven't already.  Some people have tried liquid nutrition supplementation to get essential nutrients and to let their gi systems rest.

Hope you can get to see a mast cell expert soon!

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #4 - 10/17/11 at 00:05:39

Hi Jenn, welcome aboard!   I hope we can help you find some answers!

I think that Dr. Schwartz is PERFECT to see.  My mother went to him and found him attentive.   She lives in Northern Virginia.   Dr. Schwartz is a top notch immunologist and a mastocytosis authority.   He knows about the autoimmune element of masto.  He has told me he is more than happy to see potential masto patients and the only thing he asks is that you bring your prior tests results to him.   He doesn´t require a referral and you can call his office and set up an appointment for  yourself.  I think it takes about 6 weeks to see him.

The good thing about Dr. Schwartz is that he will look for other things besides just a mast cell disorder.  Your having that reaction to the antibiotic will be probably his starting point for although you could be allergic to that medication without having a mast cell disorder, it is certainly indicative to one.  

As to doing any prior testing, you could, but is it wise to do so?   One of the things I´ve noticed is that when you´ve been to doctor after doctor and had tons of testing, then yes, it helps because most doctors are not going to think masto and therefore won´t test for it.  However, if you are going to see a mast cell disorder expert and he already knows what to look for, then I can´t help but feel it´s best to let him go ahead and ask for these exams especially since he knows where the best labs are to do them.  What´s hard is to have a lab do an exam and then go to the doctor with a negative only to find out years later it was a false negative!   If you were trying to get up to Boston, because they require some kind of proof of MC activation then yes, I´d say DO IT, but Dr. Schwartz doesn´t require a prior workup and since he´s the pro when it comes to testing tryptase, you don´t want to have anybody else do it!  Let him!

So, personally, I´d just set up an appointment and RELAX and let him work you up instead.  

Now, I do think you need to see a good gastro who can do a FULL search both upper and lower GI taking biopsies all down the line for them to be tested for masto and Eosinophilic esophagitis, etc.   This may be what is bothering you as to foods.  There are plenty of masto patients who suffer from this too.  And if you ask me, you´re needing gastrochrom to help with that!

But again, if you can, wait.  Go to Dr. Schwartz and make a full list of EVERYTHING that you´re feeling and let him work you up from scratch.   He´s a very competent doctor and I don´t think you´ll regret it!!!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

jennj
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 10/17/11 at 03:06:10

Thank you all for the great input.  My appointment with Dr. Schwartz is November 10th and I'm counting down the days!  

Lisa - Thanks for the inside tips on Dr. Schwartz.  I am glad Dr. Schwartz knows about the autoimmune aspect of MCAD.  I have autoimmune disease in my family and have wondered if there is some sort of correlation.  I won't push any testing before my November appointment.  I am seeing a new allergist today, Dr. Oral Alpan.  Have you heard of him?  He was recommended to me by a friend.  I saw his name mentioned a bit online in articles that contain info. on mast cell disorder so it's possible he may know a bit about the disease or at least is aware of it.

Joan - I haven't been tested for oral thrush yet by any doctors.  I have brought up the white tongue issue and none seem concerned.  The tongue coating feels like it is a reaction to things.  When I take the Zyrtec I get a massive white tongue coating - it usually comes to play about 15 minutes after swallowing the pill.  When my menstrual cycle is here my white tongue worsens as well.  The medicating is tricky because I seem to be intolerant of everything.  So, while Zyrtec keeps the massive hiving away and keeps my blood sugar from drastically dropping it gives me other reactions like white tongue and throat tightness - kind of like a gagging feeling.  I have a Gastrocrom prescription from one allergist that I recently began taking.  My first reaction when I drank a whole vile was hives and extreme sound and light sensitivity.  I got scared and did not take it again for another month.  When my stomach problems kicked in I decided to try Gastrocrom again.  This time in much smaller doses.  Basically I take one vile over the course of an entire day.  It does seem to help some with the Zyrtec reaction.  If I take a bit of Gastrocrom before the Zyrtec pill I do not get as much IBS from the Zyrtec.  However, I flush all the time now that I'm drinking Gastrocrom.  It's like the meds worsen one thing but help another.  Is this normal for MCAD patients?  I fear there is nothing that I won't react to.

Do you all follow a rotation diet?  I now seem to react to all foods.  White organic rice well rinsed and well cooked used to be my safe food.  Now in the last week the thought of it makes me nauseaus and I feel itchy inside when I eat it.  I am starting to lose my appetite for everything.  

Has anyone ever done genetic testing for the methylation cycle?  I did the blood test about two weeks ago and am awaiting my test results ( can take up to 12 weeks).  I wonder if it's ever helped anyone on this site.  When all my reactions first started I thought that maybe I just had a sulfite/sulfate allergy brought on by the sulfa drug because of methyl cycle disfunction.  I still think sulfites could be the root cause of my problem.  Is it possible to have an allergy to one thing that is so strong that your body becomes oversensitive and lives in a constant state of histamine overload?  

Sorry for so many questions.  I am a little excited that I've found a place where so many people have symptoms that are similar to mine.  I finally feel like there are people I can bounce ideas off of that won't think I'm crazy.  I swear most doctors are wondering if it's in my head when I start rattling off my 100 daily symptoms.  

I ate two bites of cooked golden delicious apple a few weeks ago and my gums on the right side of my mouth swelled up instantly and remained swollen for a week.  They bleed like crazy each time I tried to brush my teeth.  If someone else were to tell me this before I became sick I'd probably think it crazy too.  But, alas this is now the reality of my life Sad.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print