Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Random Tears (Read 8514 times)
kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Random Tears
10/06/11 at 10:02:05

Does anyone just cry? No particular reason. No overwhelming sadness, just out of the blue start crying?
WOOOOAAAAA this is NOT me!
Since my medication has been changed I do not feel this mix is right for me but today with this random crying (I don't want to just assume it's a mast cell thing so that is why I'm asking here). Because this is SOOOO not like me and knowing my medication is off, I just can't help think that this has to be a mast cell's misbehaving thing.
Sure could use some advice on this. Thanks!

Kim

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Random Tears
Reply #1 - 10/06/11 at 10:34:01

I would think it is a result of normal emotion of coming to terms with your illness. I don't know how long you have been diagnosed or ill, but that could be a factor. I have had this about 15 years, so I have passed out of that angry/sad phase. Plus my symptoms are under control and I feel well enough. If you had talked to me in the early days of my illness, I might have felt the same as you do now.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 10/06/11 at 10:35:46

Kim;
I feel like crying a LOT- but I always seem to find a way to justify it Embarrassed Life- I guess -better than the alternative. But its still feels pretty crappy; so for someone like you who Doesnt normally cry- I want to cry FOR you Cry ... and I hope it goes away SOON !!! Maybe you shouldnt've counted the holes in those damn saltines  Cheesy !
Did I make ya laugh Huh (hope so)
lori

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #3 - 10/06/11 at 11:22:39

Damn saltines!! LOL Yes you did make me laugh. Thanks.

Deb you could be right. Dr Afrin didn't come right out and say yes you have this. His words were, "i don't know of any other disorder that would account for your array of symptoms except some form of MCAD." Still waiting for ALL test results.

Hubby is home from work now so it's time to put on my happy face.
Thanks all!

IP Logged

Kate:
Tutor

Reply #4 - 10/06/11 at 13:35:38

I do!!  It is very random.

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #5 - 10/06/11 at 13:52:36

You too? Do you think it's just an emotional thing or perhaps some chemical inbalance from mast cells?
This is really puzzling?

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #6 - 10/06/11 at 15:34:02

Hi Kim,

I think many of us whose symptoms are not "controlled" (whatever that means) have just about any type of response that a body can have.  Even the experienced mast cell persons on this site who have a complete regiment of meds have extremely unusual reactions.

I have had the same "reaction" at random times.  And I, like you, am not a person to cry.  I am not sure if it is mast cells or just the stress we are under while we wait for answers.  It has been a long haul for you.

I recently sent a multitude of questions to our doctor.  As always, he was thorough and explained this to me, "Different mast cells in different parts of the body are programmed to respond in different ways to different stimuli that have different levels of importance in those different parts of the body.  So you can expect that abnormal mast cells in different parts of the body may well act up abnormally in different ways."  I know that's a mouthful....but it does make sense.  (I just had to read it a few dozen times to put it all together...that brain fog stuff again).  Who knows what to expect and where to expect it.  He also said, "Give us another decade or two of research and we may start to better understand what triggers these cells when there is no obvious external trigger."  Point taken!

Hang in there until Dr. A puts it altogether for you....I have no doubt he will!

Hugs to you, Lynda

p.s. I am going to post under general discussion because I don't really know where to "put" one of my test results I got two days ago.....I am still processing it all, but I wasn't sure if I should do cartwheels or cry.....I did more cartwheels!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #7 - 10/07/11 at 03:13:27

Kim, granted youīve been through the emotional wringer, Iīd still relate it to the meds!!!  

Ask Dr. Afrin and see what he says.  It just seems a bit too coincidental to me!!!  New med, changed moods????    Nah, Iīv voting on the meds!!!   Yet, if you change meds and it continues....welll, then Debīs probably right.

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #8 - 10/07/11 at 04:52:31

Thanks ladies! I had responded to this last night but my iPod froze up or something and I lost everything. It was good too! Don't ya hate that?

Thanks Lynda for sharing your question/answer exchange with Dr Afrin. I have not communicated with him since I saw him last month. Guess I'm the frady cat now. He just emphasized the importance of finding a local doc to a degree that I'm trying to give my new local doc a chance to (as he put it) 'edumacate' himself on this and work some with Dr Afrin and when I go see him in 2 1/2 weeks I will test the waters with some questions. I don't expect him to have all the answers since I know it takes a long time to learn about this crazy stuff. But I will be able to see how he responds to my questions: ie "I'll have to check on that" or "Oh well it's probably just.....(this or that)". If he proves to be the kind of doc I'm hoping he will be, he will check into things based on my experience or questions so he can learn. If he doesn't I will start emailing Afrin. I'm trying to be patient and fare. But I sooo appreciated your post. Thanks!

Lisa, good way to look at it. I'm about to start adding Zyrtec to my Clariton and Pepcid. It's ALMOST been two weeks and I'm sick of being sick. I don't think a couple days is going to make a difference. I was told by both Afrin and new doc (Mathews) that I could add Zyrtec if I felt I needed to, so I'm going to! I hope the crying thing doesn't happen again. Crying is not good for the eyes! They swell up like marshmellows for an entire day if I cry Cry Not like crying is going to kill me, I was just curious if it was something others experienced. Thanks for your (as usual) wonderful input Wink

Now I'm going to go check out Lynda's test results......drum roll........

Kim

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #9 - 10/07/11 at 07:52:53

I do want to point out that you shouldn't get your hopes up for positive tests and then get depressed if they are negative. Those with Masto will finally test positive to something (such as BMB), however those with MCAD (or IA) usually test negative to EVERYTHING. That is how I got my diagnosis -- I am normal in every way in every test. Yet, my symptoms indicate IA and my great response to the histamine blockers pretty much seals the deal on my diagnosis.

So, don't let anyone tell you that you don't have mast cell disease if you end up like me with negative test results, but good response to the meds. Those meds and the knowledge I gathered have made my life wonderful now!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #10 - 10/07/11 at 09:46:35

Good advice Deborah! Even Afrin said not to get discouraged if the test results are negative. He said something along the lines of the misbehaved mast cells are there, we may just have to work harder to find them. My Histamine Plasma was borderline but I'm still waiting for the rest of my test results.
Thanks again.
Kim

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 10/08/11 at 02:07:49

Sometimes, right before I get sick with my mast cell stuff, I will have this giant BOO HOO crying session that comes over me.  Even if my regular meds are working ok, it will hit me all of a sudden, and then usually within 3 hrs or so, my mast cell symptoms start up full blown.

I think it is a chemical thing that may be related to the release of substances from the mast cells that can affect your brain.

What helps the best for me is to reduce stress, keep things nice and calm, and then I don't get so much of this.

What medicine are you taking?  I got major BOO HOOS from Zyrtec.

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 10/08/11 at 06:08:26

well I have days that I cannot speak nor hold a conversation with anyone without crying..and I can't help it..I have just started calling them my crying days...and I warn everyone I try to speak to..well this is just one of those days..this is a fairly recent thing for me
I am not sure where or why this happens..not sure it is the meds as I am a long time "on meds" person without this before so what...
I also think it is good to cry..it cleans out your soul..things that are hidden in the back of your mind..that you don't normal think about..so could crying not be good..please do not let it upset you...just go with the flow..
and another thing so many of us masto oldies have heard is..the results of your test are all normal when our bodies say...nope the body is not good...
I always try to look at my body like my car...you drive and ride in the car for years..and one morning you start it up and suddenly there is a little sound that should not be there..and you know something is wrong..well our bodies are the same way..I know when that little body sound is not correct..so just remember you know your body better than anyone..
hang in there ...
redbird
the word writer

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #13 - 10/08/11 at 09:00:20

Very wise words, Redbird!!   Smiley

I've had one of those moments where I wonder how I could possibly think these thoughts, they kinda scare me.....

Let's see if you all can follow for I really think they are crazy thoughts.  

As you all know, our hormones when they go up and down will often take our emotions with them.  Scientists have been studying the brains of men and women in regards to their emotions and they've found that a man thinks with one part and feels with the other and the two don't mix.  This would explain why a man can keep so frustratingly cool under pressure which would kill an elephant!  This is why they can turn it off and on at a whim!   Yet what they found when they studied women was that we're a mess - we think and feel with both sides of our brains and it explains why we can't so easily just "turn it off".  

Now, when we study histamines and their affects on the brain, they have seen that it gets released throughout the entire brain and that the mast cells are closest to the blood vessels and the nerves.  So, when we degranulate within our brains, our most important receptors are absolutely flooded with those mediators, which explains the brain fog we get!  It also explains a heck of a lot of other weird stuff, like our emotions.   We get an inundation of chemicals!   So, this would explain a lot of the feeling of doom as well as even crying and being overly emotional and aggitated.   I've had it where I feel like I'm going to crawl right out of my skin, not because of any tingling or anything but just because I feel so very anxious and uncomfortable within my body, emotionally wise, when I'm doing heavy duty reacting!  

So, this may explain a great deal about why you could have bouts of crying.   Yet, like Jilly has said, she gets bouts of the boo hoos with Zyrtec and this would be a chemical reaction creating this.  Prednisone can do this as well as other meds.  It may be the mast cells, but then it may be some other reaction going on to those meds.  There are medicataions which are KNOWN for producing suicidal thoughts.  Well, nobody's going to be thinking suicide if they've got a case of the giggles are they????  Make the connections yourself.    So, in this case, you really must examine the medication even though nobody else may have responded that way.   As we all well know, we are all so different with this disease that the trick is to find someone doing something similar to you!

Now, Redbird, you are in your own category mainly due to your age.  When we study the body and how it ages, you need to consider masto and it's interaction.  As we know, the blood vessels become weaker as we age.  Well, has anybody studied the neurological system and how it bears up over the years?  I rather think that the myelin sheath may get thinner and perhaps the nerves themselves get more sensitive.  I don't know, but it sounds reasonable to me.  

So, if we take that thought in mind, it is well known that as a person ages, they have less ability to control their emotions.  They are known to return to a more childlike ability to keep their emotions in check and this is why you will usually find that generally the elderly can be grouped into two groups, the cantankerous and the sweetly tempered.  I've heard someone say that after a certain age, it's not that the person's personality has changed, but that they have lost their ability to cover up what they really are and so the truth comes out.  

Well, I'm not one to study the elderly, so I really don't know if this if true or not, but it sounds pretty good to me anyway.  

But, when if you take these two things, that of the losing the ability to control your emotions along with the possible aging of the nervous system, I think that this would explain either bouts of anger or crying which are indeed seen easily in people of this age.

Now, let's put the mediator release of mast cells on top of all of this, then what kind of mess have we got here??? hmmmm?????   MESSY, MESSY, MESSY!!! Shocked

All I can say is I think they'd better consider locking me up in a nice, pretty padded room by the time I get 75, I think, for I have a feeling that not only will my nerves not manage to handle the slightest sounds or aggitation, but I'll probably take off the heads of anyone within sight or sound of me!!! Shocked Grin

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #14 - 10/08/11 at 09:14:05

Jbean- Dr Afrin changed up my meds. I believe he is starting mild and working our way up. I am currently taking AM: 150mg Toprol (for Tachycardia), 10mg Clariton, 40mg Pepcid.   PM: 10mg Clariton, 40mg Pepcid. I just started adding 10mg Zyrtec at night and that was before my boo hoo day. I will try this addition for a week and if not enough I may up it to a 10mg Zyrtec in AM. I learned since Afrin switched my meds that Zyrtec makes me sleepy.

Redbird- thanks for your input. I realize crying won't kill me. It does swell my eyes up for a good 12 hours or so. If crying were an all the time thing I would think it was lack of proper medication. So far it was just that one day so no worries. Crying call be cleansing and I agree. I just didn't care for the lack of control I had with it. Oh well! Much worse could happen!
Have a great weekend all!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print