Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dr. Andrew Singer - Knoxville, TN (Read 15745 times)
DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Dr. Andrew Singer - Knoxville, TN
10/05/11 at 02:21:52

A recent request for a doctor in eastern TN prompted me to ask for a recommendation from Dr. Akin. He recommends Dr. Andrew Singer in Knoxville, TN. Dr. Singer worked with Dr. Akin for several years in Ann Arbor, Michigan and is an excellent allergist. He should have a basic understanding of mast cell disease, especially in children.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Dr. Andrew Singer - Knoxville, TN
Reply #1 - 10/05/11 at 05:06:36

Deborah

Thanks so much for checking on that!  I am going to look him up and  get an appointment here soon...I feel better when it is cooler, which it is now, and don't know if its better to wait until I am in a big flare up again (hotter weather) or go now...not sure how that would impact my testing.  But, I am really thankful for the info!  Now, I just need to try and get in and see what he thinks!

Hey just looked him up and he is in the same groups and the doctor I was talking about that I thought had treated a young girl with mastocytosis.  So, that is encouraging on top of  your recommendation from Dr. Akin.  Maybe I can finally get some answers on whether this is all tied through MCAD or coincidentally separate, IC, Fibro/Neurmusc, Allergies, GERD, etc or they really are tied together.

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 10/05/11 at 06:48:02

You really don't need to wait until you are more apt to flare for an appointment. The thing is that with mast cell disease, you either have it or you don't. The severity of a symptoms at the time of being seen by the doc won't change if you have it or not. Some might feel that it will be easier for the doctor to believe them if he see symptoms, but this doctor is already familiar with mast cell disease, so that is a plus.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 10/05/11 at 08:42:16

Thanks,  I will go ahead.  I need to work up my courage.  I went through HE$$ getting diagnosed with IC and am worried about throwing myself into the diagnosis snakepit again....if I am diagnosed, its one more illness to add to the stack, if I am not, then I get to start again on trying to figure it out....I go through weird periods of wanting and not wanting to know as I have had all this for 10 years. Esssh, gues I just need to suck it up and go see.

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 10/06/11 at 02:22:39

Quick question - - -do you think it is better just to go in for the visit and tell him my problems/symptoms or to write it up in a letter and send it to him ahead of time (which I could bring to office with me too)?  Sorry, I have just had a lot of wasted drs visits, where they didn't even have enough time to say boo, much less diagnose a complex case...I am sure we all have.

IP Logged

hb36
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 10/06/11 at 03:39:33

I hear ya!  When I go see a new doctor I take a list of my symptoms and current diagnoses and a binder of my tests/labs that have been done as well as a list of questions.  If I send them this stuff in advance, they usually don't read it before I get there anyway.  The doctors who were good and really wanted to help reviewed my test results and went over my symptoms list with me.  The ones who didn't weren't worth my time.  One doctor told me that my binder only told him that I was too absorbed with my health, I needed to get off the internet and give myself 6 months before I saw another doctor.  The other doctors thought it was very helpful and said they wished all of their patients were so organized!

Good luck!

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 10/06/11 at 03:50:02

Yep...when I first started out at this I had a dr. actually laugh at me when I was crying in pain and she referred me to a psychologist...well never went back to see her.  Thought about sending her the pictures of my cystoscopy which looked like a bomb had gone off in my bladder, but then I thought life is too short for me to mess with this woman.  For gosh sakes, you can have to have your bladder removed from IC in rare cases, and her she was giggling at me...she had no idea what IC was.  Luckily found drs who actually knew what they were talking about and as a result have kept working with a disease in which many have to go on disability.  So you can see why I am always hesistant to go to a new dr!!

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #7 - 10/06/11 at 03:53:27

Just go in with a list of questions (take a look at some examples on the "Read this first" part of our forum). When you meet him, tell him that Dr. Akin recommended him because you have mast cell disease. That should get you off on the right foot. Remember, this is not a doc who doesn't believe in mast cell disease; he worked with Dr. Akin, so he knows it is real and how to help.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 10/06/11 at 03:56:27

Yes, that does give me a lot of encouragement....so I guess I just need to quit being a chicken little.  Its just from the story I wrote above, as you can see I have been burned before, so now I am a fraidy cat.  I think he will be really good, I have always heard good things about that group!!  God bless you for the info, now I just need to get my courage up and go for it.  If all my tests are negative, I think my next step may be ANS disorders, which is also an idea my uro gave me to check, and I am going to go back to a rheumy if they come back negative too.

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 02/03/12 at 13:21:06

Texan1960,

If you read this, please get back to me.  I want to see how you got on with Dr. Singer.   I'm thinking about trying to get in with him soon.

TIA,
Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 02/13/12 at 04:45:23

Zippy:

Check your messages...I think you might want to give him a try!  

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 02/17/12 at 13:10:59

Thanks Tex..   I'm going to try to get in with him soon.  Will report on progress.

Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 10/18/12 at 06:52:57

Unbelievably, I FINALLY went to see Dr. Andrew Singer in Knoxville.  And... I was VERY pleased.    Of course, I've only had one visit to go by, but he was courteous, respectful, bright, knew about mast cell disorders, and had worked with Dr. Akin in Michigan.   I've had a blood draw to test my tryptase levels, and scored a script for ketotifen with ease.

All in all, I've gotten off to a good start with Dr. Singer, and anticipate being (officially) diagnosed with some type of mast cell disorder for the first time in my life.   And to think, I've only had bad symptoms since 1991.   Well, what's twenty years to a being that lives the vast span of 60-80 years ?   Cheesy

Happy to give a good report on Dr. Singer in Knoxville, TN.
Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

BlueSkies
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 11/30/12 at 07:54:19

Hi Zippy890,

I am very interested in learning more about your visit to Dr. Singer.   I am going to try to send you a message - so please check your messages!

Thank you very much!
BlueSkies

IP Logged

BlueSkies
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 11/30/12 at 08:46:34

Texan,

I'm sending you a message, too!  

Thanks,
BlueSkies