Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nobel prize winners research - YEAH (Read 4564 times)
daowebe
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Nobel prize winners research - YEAH
10/03/11 at 16:27:04

Ok, so yeah, I'm a bit of a geek but I am really excited about the research these guys were doing and felt compelled to explain why.
One of the prizes was for research of the dendritic cell. This cell presents molecular fragments of a microb or tumor cells to the immune system. Which causes a cascade of events that then produces antibodies specially targeted at the offending antagonist.  Trials have been done where dendritic cells were removed, exposed to molecular fragments of the persons tumor, and then reinfused into the bloodstream.  In three cases the individuals recovered from terminal leukemia. What does this all means for us?  Dendritic cells are also known to play a major and  possibly even a key role in allergy and autoimmune diseases like lupus erythematosus and inflammatory bowel diseases, Crohn's disease, and ulcerative colitis.  In addition,  these cells are found in the skin, lining of the nose, lungs, stomach, and intestines.  One type of dendritic cell is  formed from stem cells in the bone marrow.  Anybody else see a pattern?  
Another function is innate immunity, which is the foundation for adaptive immunity.  This results in the bodies ability to remember a previous invader and have an effective defenses ready. The dendritic cell is the bridge between the two types of immune response.  
Another recognition was for work with Toll receptors.   There are 10 families of Toll-like receptors that are involved in recognizing different categories of invaders and setting off an attack against them.  When activated, inflammation is a result of their activity.  Understanding these Toll receptors has led scientists to develop a drug, etanercept, that is effective in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis and other autoimmune diseases.
Long way to go but this is great stuff.

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Re: Nobel prize winners research - YEAH
Reply #1 - 10/03/11 at 22:20:33

Thank you for sharing that! Smiley

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Nobel prize winners research - YEAH
Reply #2 - 10/04/11 at 04:18:49

YEP, sure is cool stuff... that's why I studied immunology in school... you can actually do things to help people Smiley

I was SAD though to learn that one of the prize winners died just a few days before it was awarded.  I hope he had an idea that he was in the running for it.  A fitting lifetime acheivment for somebody who devoted their life's work to "the cause."

Immunologists Salute You!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print