Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why do Insurance companies get to play GOD??? (Read 9938 times)
hernandez
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
west palm beach florida
Why do Insurance companies get to play GOD???
10/03/11 at 14:20:50

I find it unbelievable that I can be perscribed a medicine by my Doctor to save my life (Xolair) and the insurance co is trying to deny me since I dont have asthma..Hello I am having so many anaphlaxsis' I'm lucky to even be here. I have 3 young kids to live for I do not think they have the right to dictate whether we live or die...whats wrong with our system?? Lisa

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Why do Insurance companies get to play GOD???
Reply #1 - 10/03/11 at 15:40:04

You don't want my comments on this Lisa, cause I'll write books on this one!!   Angry

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 10/04/11 at 10:02:52

They dont play God - they play the devil.
Its all aabout the $$$. If they and the pharmaceutical companies can find a way to save/make $ off others misfortunes-they will. My husbands health ins. tried to drop me because I had a "pre-existing condition"; I had to get a Certificate of Creditable Coverage from my previous carrier (also happens to be a branch of BC/BS) to send them. STILL waiting to see if Im covered or not. I had to resign from my job because of this disease, but I paid for health coverage, and now they're taking the extra $ from my husbands checks- and for what - if they arent covering me ???? We are actually lucky the antihistamines & zantac are over the counter- Idk what Im supposed to do when my blood pressure n inhaler meds run out either.  No wonder so many people in this country take the easy way out, when people who pay into the system are punished for it.
Sad, but true,
lori

IP Logged

hernandez
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
west palm beach florida
Reply #3 - 10/04/11 at 15:15:16

you are so right! something is seriously wrong with our country that we can work all our lives pay for everything ourselves then its not there when we need it!!

IP Logged

AmiAnn
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 10/05/11 at 11:32:15

yup, no more coverage for Raditdine.  Was nice to get a large bottle of 300mg. for $5.  So dumb!   Cry

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 10/05/11 at 12:24:01

I'm really sorry about this situation Lori and Lisa!  It's truely lamentable that this happens!!   Something is most definitely WRONG when the government backs a mafia especially when it's well known that the lobbiests pay off so many senators and congressmen to keep their businesses running!  The fact that their profits are so very high is a BIG INDICATOR that something STINKS!!

Here in Brazil the government keeps on top of the insurance mafia and forces them to make changes when they have too large of an outcry from the people or they see situations which are ABUSIVE!!!  

Now, Brazil has socialized medicine and I'm not against it one bit!!  There are too many people who are too poor to afford private health insurance and they would go without help were it not for the public system.  Granted, the public system is not the best and Brazil is not a wealthy country even though it's economy has improved greatly in the 20+ years I've lived here.  But it still not the best of situations and most people try to have private insurance due to this very reason.

However, just because we have private insurance doesn't mean a whole lot, not in a case like mine because the level of doctors I need don't accept my insurance - it doesn't pay well enough.  Yet, this is the very situation I faced with my open heart surgery last year!!  I was in a situation which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy!!  Yet it so clearly defines this mafia we call our health insurance!

Last year Dr. Basson, then of Cornell, wanted to bring me up to NY to operate my aorta.  I have no insurance to cover my outside of Brazil - my insurance won't do it!!  I don't qualify for medicare or medicaid, so no help there!  He tried two private sources to see what he could do for he knew that this was a 1st ever surgery and a 2nd time open heart surgery was known to be done on a masto patient, so in a country where there are no high authorities in mastocytosis, with reactions the kind I have, he KNEW I needed his help!!   NO GO!!  

So, having been totally REJECTED by my own country, I had to seek out help in my adopted country, one which is much less blessed than my own!  It was here that my private health insurance TOTALLY FAILED ME!  They don't work with the hospital I needed and instead I had to use the government system!   My surgery, which Dr. Basson told me were I to pay cash, in the US would cost at the minimum, $500,000 US dollars!!   My husband and I didn't pay a single, red, cent!!   I had EXCELLENT CARE with all of my medications included!!   I also have an upcomin appointment, again through the government, to see my cardiologist in a few months.  

Not only that, I have since had to work with several other top notch doctors through the Federal University Hospitals and thus with the government health system.  I could never see these doctors privately for they cost about $400 US dollars for a consultation and they, naturally, don't work with my insurance!!   Yet I can see them through the public system and I'm not charge a penny!!  It comes out of our taxes!

As to medications and exams, my insurance is not allowed to refuse me the exams and surgeries that are on our contract.  They may not like it, but by law they must approve these procedures.  On the down side, not a single one of my medications are covered.   However, if we could prove a financial need strong enough, we could put in a request for the government to take over this burden.   However, out of conscience knowing that there are needier people than we, and since we have private insurance and many others do not, we do all that we can NOT to use the public system and this is only as a last option situation.  

Yes, it is TRULY SHAMEFUL that with a country as rich as ours where we are taught to everyone do their part.  Yet what bothers me is that in a country as rich as ours that so very many people, when they are in real need have to sell their homes to survive!!  SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE!

IP Logged

hernandez
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
west palm beach florida
Reply #6 - 10/05/11 at 15:21:53

Omg Lisa you hit it right on the head. It's confusing there though with what covers what, I dont know how you keep up with all of that and wow how difficult it must be. I have insurance through the company I work for. We have a family policy which all in all had been good up until this point of my sickness. I was completely denied the zolair,awaiting the results of the bone marrow biopsy and my allergist is calling the ins co for a peer to peer to try and get it covered.I dont know whats gonna happen I just know I am SICK and sick of being sick!  I am considering going into a study for the medicine if I can get approved out of desperation ya know. Well today be blessed & sleep well ok:)

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 10/06/11 at 09:59:24

Ladies;
I was just readin Lucas' post about how Dr. Miner had prescribed the $400 Allegra n then the nurse told him it was okay to take the OTC !!! Roll Eyes
Another example of the imbalance of our healthcare here. I would like to think that theres a Dr. out there that would be excited to help be a "pioneer" in the 1st surgery on a masto patient Lisa- isnt that WHY they take the Hypocratic oath ??? Guess too many healthcare professionals take the HYPOCRITE part of that literally ! Sad
P.S. Lisa: Lucas said said he'd had pain in the upper left side near his rib cage- I had a lot of Constant pain there n they even did an ultrasound on my spleen,etc. then after I was diagnosed w TMEP n got on the Zantac, etc. it rarely bothers me ! Also thanks to you and Lucas- I saw the 7 Deadly Sins-I had started flaring yesterday,same day I started eating a big ole bowla Shredded Wheat for breakfast/lunch n today its worse- spots AND itching (usually just spots), headache, n brain fog.
I wish some of the top people at the pharmacuetical & insurance companies would get this; just enough to get a little more sympathetic- and a LOT more compassionate for those of you who have the worst of symptoms.
Once again thanks for the insight. Youre all in my prayers daily, and if anyone talks to Ramona, please let her know we're missing her <3
lori

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #8 - 10/07/11 at 07:30:47

Yes!  We're all missing Ramona something awful!!!   Gosh!!!   Cry

Lori, I wish it were as easy as to blame the doctors for their attitudes at not wanting to work with us, but I honestly think that this is the fault of us patients and not our doctors!!

Lori, here in Brazil it is a very, very difficult thing to sue a doctor!  And if you do manage to sue one, you won't make a whole lot of mone on it!!  This really discourages those who are greedy from being abusive!  (remember the woman who sued McDonalds in the 80s because her coffee was HOT???   Roll Eyes  Honestly what else would it be?!)

From the mid 70s on, Doctors became fair game for the greedy!!   One little oops and the lawyers were all over the patient encouraging them to sue (not like they didn't have something to gain, did they?!)  The insurance agency mafia also gained a TON out of this by pushing the need for malpractice insurance.  The two, lawyers and insurance agencies had a great deal to gain from this and it was a lovely marriage where they both benefitted tremendously!  Granted, the greedy, gullible patient got a bit out of it too, so he wasn't crying, but the only one who was the real victim was the physician, for being nothing more than just plain human!!!

Granted, there are indeed true causes of neglegence, but it's really got to be very blanted cases of this like the guy who gets the wrong leg operated on, or whose doctor comes in with a hangover and puts the patient seriously into danger.  These are really very worthy causes of neglegence and they deserve being sued by their patients and even losing their licence.   But what about those cases where it's really a very honest mistake where the doctor wasn't any more at fault than any other guy who says Oops!  Why is it that a doctor can be sued for making a mistake but we can't?  How many times have we been clumsy or spilled something or even misspelled something?   Granted, it can be a dire mistake in their case, but they are just as human as we are, afterall.  

I've had situations happen with me that I had more than the right to sue some doctors here but they didn't purposefully put me into harm's way.  There comes a place where I have got to recognize that this is a very rare disease and not everybody is going to understand how ti works, must less recognize the symptoms!  I must be understanding of this fact and try to forgive those doctors, who in truly wanting to help me, ended up putting me into harm's path by accident!   It wasn't their fault any more than mine that I've got this disease!   Can you imagine what if they wanted to sue us patients who had these rare diseases that when something went wrong they sued us for having the stupid disease in the first place?   And what about those patients who absolutely REFUSE to pull their heads out of the sand and then find themselves in troubld over their own neglect and irresponsibilitiy?!  Why can't they sue us then?  We too have to recognize our own responsibility in taking care of ourselves and making decisions!   It's not right that it's so lopsided!!

But all of this, Lori, is what makes doctors so incredibly cautious in the States!  How do you think you would be to have a patient who had a rare disease walk into your office that you had no idea about it or had even heard of it before and had reactions like Mt Vesuvious?   Would YOU want to touch that patient, especially knowing that you are legally responsible for him???!!!

Try to take a look at this from their point of view, and how very difficult it is!  They study for so very, very many years and when they FINALLY get out of school and are finally certified to practice medicine, they are in so way over their heads in debt it's not even funny!  They will be paying off their school bills for the rest of their lives practically!  And if they aren't extremely cautious they can not only lose their house and shirt with it, but even their career and livelihood, all because of a simple OOPS!   After that, then what?!  Their entire life's work is tossed down the drain just because they were human!!

I personally feel that it's unGodly and morally WRONG to sue doctors unless there is very blantent neglegence involved!  These people dedicate their lives to finding means of healing and treating the sick and saving people from dying!  They are trying to bless you and instead, you curse them, slap and spit in their faces for their dedication and hard work.  

Sorry, Lori, this isn't directed at you, but it's one more area where I feel very strongly about.  I've seen that this is one of  the major reasons why we patients here in Brazil have a much closer relationship with our doctors than we patients do in the States and other countries where the lawsuit rate it high.  We have been seriously duped into cutting our own throats with our doctors for by our slapping them with lawsuits, they back off and become cautious and afraid of their patients and this ends up hampering their ability to practice medicine.  Sadly, we have to blame only ourselves for this trend!!! Sad

Lisa

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #9 - 10/07/11 at 07:55:43

You need to call your insurance company and demand a case manager who will listen to your story and then work with you AND YOUR DOCTOR to get your meds covered. Dr. Akin had to do this to get some of my meds covered. It was very nice of him to actually call teh insurance company on my behalf, but he convinced them!

The bad part is that you have to go through this battle every year, as they will only pass it through one year. Grrr....

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 10/08/11 at 06:15:14

and if the case mgt will not help....
CALL THE STATE INSURANCE COMM OF YOUR STATE..
don't know how old you are but in our comm. office they have a special group of people who work with us older folks..
and they can also demand your insurnace co work with you in some form...BECAUSE THEY REGULATE THE LIC. THAT IS REQUIRED TO SELL INSURANCE IN YOUR STATE.
redbird

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 10/08/11 at 17:11:44

Lisa;
I am just frustrated with the "system". I am lucky enough to have a very caring allergist- he and the lady in charge of ins. at my husbands company have been nothing But helpful. I also agree that people are too "sue happy"here. I only commented on the dr.s that wouldnt/couldnt help you with your heart surgery. Sorry that I misunderstood n got you so fired up girl Embarrassed !  I've been brain-foggy all weekend. My husband is learning to just wait til I can get my words out right at times, to finish a sentence.  And; Redbird & Deb, thank you also for the advice. BTW; Im 48- but dont tell anyone  Wink
good nite ladies,
lori

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #12 - 10/09/11 at 07:18:38

No, Lori, you didn't get me upset!!  Not in the least!!   This is just one subject which will get me really going!!   I'm as upset about the entire system too and it's incredibly SHAMEFUL the way we, the richest country in the world is reduced to such a situation as this!!!!   So much of the 1st world laughs at us over our medical system and the poor countries just weep because here we are, so very well off, while they have barely food much less even a table to put it on and they die by the millions due to lack of qualified doctors much less a medical system and we have BOTH and yet we still can't get proper attention!!!  It's an out an out SIN and CRIME and I for one and horribly embarrased by it at times!!

I had a doctor recently say, No, Lisa, you're better off here in Brazil cause it's not a good time to go back to your country!!   HOW HORRIBLE TO HAVE TO SAY, YES, YOU'RE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!  It shocked me as to how sad that truth is!!

Yet, on the other hand, what also upsets me is that even though we are in such straights, especially we patients who have such rare situations and find outselves totally up against the wall needing high authorities at times when we do really weird and unprecidented things, if we beg a US doctor for his help, more often than not, he won't even answer your plea - he doesn't dare do so for fear of his career and livelihood!!  I know it's not possible to really support a patient who is not yours through the internet, but they can extend some kind of guideance and feedback.  I've gained this kind of support, but more often than the doctor is not American for he fears patients and what they can do to him!   This too is an incredibly sad testamony!

So, Lori, you didn't get me upset.  I'm perfectly fine and I hope you didn't think I was upset with you.   I'm upset with the two situations, that's all!!

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 10/09/11 at 16:31:14

Lisa;
Im glad you're not upset w* iamnotalone ! Its sad someone with a disease that causes Brain Fog can be so much smarter than the ones running things Cry ! Everytime I read 1 of your posts, Im AMAZED at how well spoken you are! I have to keep retyping n fixing my typo's  Embarrassed  
Idk if you're familiar wthe show "60 Minutes", but tonite it was about how our president has the president of General Electric helping to create jobs here in the states to improve our economy. Meanwhile this man has Numerous business interests in Other countries??? One of which is- BRAZIL ! And they are reported to have "a MUCH better economy than ours" Shocked  Now, Why didnt that surprise me...
Maybe if this works; the President will appoint a Doctor to help him figure out THAT screwed up situation here  Cheesy
sweet dreams;
lori

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #14 - 10/10/11 at 04:17:46

Geeze, we may have a better ecomony, but our salaries are a pittance in comparrison!!!!   The average salary is about $18,000 a year for the average worker!!    The cost of my medications are equal to those of yours in Dollars!   To eat at McDonalds, we pay just as much as you do!!  And becuase of our taxes, our cars cost twice as much!!!  

So, the economy may be great, but we donīt see a whole lot of benefit.

Sad!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print