Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flu shot +allergy shot yesterday=achy sad person today (Read 15545 times)
texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Flu shot +allergy shot yesterday=achy sad person today
09/23/11 at 01:45:18

Haven't been on too much lately because of cool weather I have been feeling better and been more active.  YAY Fall!  But, got a flu shot yesterday along w/allergy shots, even took extra antihist and rubbed benedryl on shot areas, but alas today i feel like I am achy with the flu, lovely giant red splotches on my arms, movin like a splotchy turtle today....errr I hate all shots.  Okay, I have complained now!  But, at least maybe I won't get the flu.

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Flu shot +allergy shot yesterday=achy sad person today
Reply #1 - 09/23/11 at 11:33:44

I do sympathize as I've had similar problems.  I had more problems with my flu shot this year than ever before.  It made me achy for several days.  I upped my antihistamines and added Tylenol and that helped.  Hope you feel better soon.  And, yea!, no flu this year!  My doc said it's going to be an early flu season this year.

Here are my conclusions (and my doctor's, as well) and advice for everyone with mast cell twitchiness.

Never take more than one immunization per day.  An allergy shot counts as one.

Never take an allergy shot and any other new medicine on the same day.

If you feel at all sick or more reactive, wait an extra day or two to have your allergy shot.

If you're on antibiotics, don't take an allergy shot until you've finished them.

The reasons for these are that immunizations kick up your immune system, and it will be impossible to tell which shot caused the reaction.

Immunotherapy is injecting things you react to into your system.  So are other immunizations.  Double triggers, double trouble.

If you're on antibiotics, you have or had an infection, which revs up your immune system and puts your mast cells on alert.  Infections can trigger you, so adding an allergy shot (more things that put the mast cells on edge), can put you over the edge/make your bucket overflow, or whatever other metaphor you like.

I've had anaphylaxis from having an antibiotic and allergy shot on the same day.  I thought it was the antibiotic, but now I don't know if I'm truly allergic to the antibiotic or if it was just too much for my system at once.  

I only take shots when I feel that my symptoms are well-controlled.  Otherwise, I've found it's too risky, and I can have major (anaphylaxis) or more minor (e.g., itchy, hair falls out, pain) symptoms.

Joan

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 09/23/11 at 18:47:55

good advice Joan!!!

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 09/26/11 at 03:06:44

Good advice...I waited til the weather cooled down before doing the shots since I am heat reactive, but ...3 in one day was too many I guess.  I feel better now and am glad its over with!  

PS-I know what you mean about antibiotics--don't tolerate those well at all, tummy upset then giant IC flare...keflex-just outright allergic to that one--awesome red rash all over me on that exciting adventure into pharmaceuticals land.
« Last Edit: 09/26/11 at 06:47:03 by texan1960 »  

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 09/26/11 at 11:12:20

Glad you're feeling better!  I'm currently waiting 2 weeks to get another allergy shot because of so much pollen in the air here....too many weeds, too little rain!

Shots with mast cell disorders are pretty risky and not generally recommended, but, they help me, so to be ultra careful, I make sure to have my cell phone, fast-acting antihistamines, and a couple of epipens with me when I go to get a shot and for 24 hours after.  I like to carry the Benadryl Fast-Melts or liquigels.  The fast melts are only 12.5 mg., so 2 equals one liquigel or capsule.

The docs say that reactions are reduced if you minimize your exposure to allergens at least 4 hours before your shot and 24 hours after.

Joan

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 09/27/11 at 12:32:26

Joan;
I hit the jackpot of answers to questions Ive had today Smiley ! Now if I can just Remember it all...  Embarrassed I had just asked Lisa this on another topic section. After reading your discussion w/ Texan, & Sandi- Im confused- Is it Worth it to you all to get the allergy shots ? My allergist didnt know of anyone who's done it (with masto) so he kind of has a lets hold off attitude. It sounds like you guys have a lot of negatives... Are we to be the unofficial case studies then  Huh
Shot in the dark?
lori

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 09/27/11 at 18:58:47

Hi Lori,

I believe the immunotherapy has been helpful overall.  Allergens are also triggers for my masto, so that has gotten better.  And, I believe that the post-nasal stuff irritates the mast cells in my stomach and creates more problems.

The negatives I've experienced could have been avoided if I'd known then what I know now.  I haven't had a big problem in a long time with my shots.  If I get even minor symptoms, I try to figure out why and avoid it next time.

I have felt the last 2 weeks that I was overdosing with what I'm breathing and the shot, so I've laid off the shots until next week.  I'll have to go down a notch on the amount, but that's better than reacting.

I said on the other thread that I forgot to say that I always stay in the doc's office for the full half hour after my shot.

I would ask my allergist to talk over your case with Dr. Castells before proceeding.  I'm sure she will have much to enlighten him/her about this subject!

Joan

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 09/28/11 at 03:49:58

Lori:

I would be pretty cautious about doing allergy shots.  My case was kind of a weird one...I am a leaker, not a shocker, but I also have IC. I did not figure out I have MCAD until after many years (at least 5 or so) of doing allergy shots.  I have a multitude of IgE mediated allergies and have had since childhood (horrid sinus headaches, watering eyes, whole nine yards).  If I had ever shocked from a shot, I would probably stop, but I felt I had to try something years ago because my allergies were getting worse and worse.  If the MCAD gets worse and I feel I am getting too sick with shots,  I will stop.  Knowing what I know now, I would try just antihist first and see if that will help both MCAD and allergies enough.  My concern for me is that if I stop my allergies will go down hill again and I will be continously sick with those on top of MCAD/IC symptoms.  But, if you have been diagnosed with MCAD first, I'd without a doubt go for the antihist for awhile and just see if those work for you enough and not risk shots.  This is something foremost I would discuss with an expert in MCAD...like I said, mine is kind of a weird case. Both allergies and shots make me sick, so I have to weigh the pros and cons, but if I shocked, for me would be a no go on the shots for sure.      

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 09/28/11 at 05:01:52

Texan, & Joan;
Thanks again for the advice, I will take it all into consideration. I found the paper I needed to keep the insurance coverage Smiley Yaaay ! Prayed all night- guess God wanted me to stop bugging Him for awhile. I will have to wait til it goes thru, then get on w/ the BMB n such. What concerns me is my allergist didnt think I should do anything about the "cyst";n I just didnt feel comfortable with his "ragweed season" theory as to why Im having so much pain,etc. He did say that altho my tryptase level was normal- he'd be interested to see what it is when Im having an episode. I know he's being careful because of the insurance issue- He also wants me to see a local Hemotologist he knows when Im able to get a BMB done. Should I put my trust in Dr.s not familiar w/TMEP- or go to the
U of M doc. who "took over" after Dr. Akin left ? Undecided  
I have TMEP, so I dont know if that makes me a "leaker"? I havent schocked-yet. Yes, had terrible allergies/sinus infections most of my life:
Hives, n Scabies from work is what Dr. thinks brought out the TMEP.
I have a grandson I babysit a couple days a week. He weighs 25lb.s n I dont get much sleep (mom n dad work nites) n I carry him a LOT. It takes me days to recover n I can hardly hold him at times-hands n back hurt so much... Can that be causing my flare ups ? Hopefully he'll be walking soon!
Any thoughts?
always grateful,
lori

IP Logged

daowebe
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 10/02/11 at 14:56:09

I have had to get a few shots for travel.  My doctor ordered some specifically for me that did not have an egg based serum.  She also made sure that I was dosed based on my weight, not my age.  At the time I was around 105 lbs so the 'adult dose' that a walk-in may be giving was not needed for my size.  I was able to take them safely, however, I did have to do one at a time over a period of months.   This was before I was diagnosed but my doctor knew I had some sort of allergy issues and thankfully made some good suggestions.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #10 - 10/02/11 at 15:47:32

Smart doctor to have planned the immunizations for you!  I've had doctors tell me it's fine to get more than one immunization on the same day, but I refuse.

Another thought on the allergy shots.  I did not go through the normal increasing dosage schedule that is usually done to get to maintenance.  Usually, the dosage is increased 5-10-15-20-30.  I did 5, 7, 10, 13, 15, 18, 20, etc.  If I went up too fast, my body would say, "Not so fast!"  If I went in slowly, "under the radar," it was easier.  If I thought my symptoms were even a little worse after the shot, I'd repeat the next time instead of going up.  It just wasn't worth it to take any chances at all.

I'm also a leaker usually, but that doesn't mean I can't or haven't shocked.  (A leaker is someone whose mast cells are leaking mediators all the time, slowly, as opposed to a shocker whose mast cells dump lots of mediators at once, causing  sudden anaphylaxis.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print