Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Should I stop Singulair due to side effects? (Read 5705 times)
jrsubs
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Should I stop Singulair due to side effects?
09/20/11 at 16:14:43

I hope someone can help me with this.  I started Singulair low dose 5mg two weeks ago, and upped it to 10mg yesterday.  The side effects (mostly worsening of my symptoms but some new sx like the anxiety/irritibility/depression/anger and can't sleep) started immediately and have been awful the whole time so I figured I should stop.  

But these problems might just be temporary.

How do I know when to say that SIngulair is not for me?  I don't want to give it up too early, but I also don't want to make my health as bad as it is at the moment or do anything that might have longer-term consequences.  I'm really having trouble coping with Singulair's effects at the moment and only just hanging on to sanity.  My doctor doesn't know anything about mast cell related conditions and in any case is not accessible for another two weeks.

Is this written up somewhere or does anyone have any advice?

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Should I stop Singulair due to side effects?
Reply #1 - 09/20/11 at 16:19:14

just wanted to let you know that I have taken Singular 10mg for a long time and have never had any problems with it...
one thing to remember is that with masto most of us find that what helps one might not help another
I would think that a reasonable time you should know..what is a reasonable time..your doctor should be able to give you some kind of time..
think about how long it takes for the med to get into your system...and build until it comes to a point the you would see a difference
redbird

IP Logged

jrsubs
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 09/20/11 at 16:55:40

Thanks.  My doctor really has no idea about Singualair and likely benefits or problems with MCAD.  When I reported after 10 days he first suggested I should stop, then decided I should increase the dose since there is nothing else available.  It gets into the blood very quickly but I don't think this is the answer to how long it might cause bad reactions.  As you say it won't suit everybody but I just don't know how it normally works with other people and when to give up on it.  Since you had no problem with it from the beginning, maybe my bad experience tells me it won't work for me.

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #3 - 09/21/11 at 09:38:08

jr:
First of all look for a new doc if yours hasn't heard of singulair, they have no clue. 2nd anxiety is a norm i think for most of us when we try something new & I've done a lot of trial & error in 6 yrs. I would back off for now & go back to the dose you were comfortable with then give it a week or 2 & try again. A lot of times something else may also be happening at the same time of your trial. This is what I do & I just did it with some liquid ketitofin.
But you got to get to a doc who can help, not one you have to educate.
MikeV

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 09/23/11 at 05:06:04

Is there an alternative to Singulair with similar benefits.  I just stopped it again after a month trial due to it causing stomach upset.  After a month of feeling like I was going to be sick all the time, I finally decided to give it up again...after a week, tummy so much better.  I have tried it multiple times and added extra prilosec, my stomach just revolts on it.  So....is there an alternative in a similar med class?  Of course  I already do zyrtec and zantac.

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #5 - 09/23/11 at 05:54:53

tex:
Yes there is I was on for many years no problem it's called zyflo.
You can take up to 4 a day. The only reason I stopped & went back to singulair,was the inactive ingrediants contained some thing that i didn't like the look of i.e. high in sulfites.
mikev

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 10/03/11 at 07:07:07

I tried Singulair and only could stick with it for a few days.  Bothered me a LOT.  Felt very ill on it.  It was just way too strong for me.

I am a lightweight for meds and now am on Loratidine (Claritin), as that seems to be the only thing I can take that makes me feel better.

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #7 - 10/12/11 at 13:46:15

Jrsubs,

Singulair affects me as well.  Because it causes insomnia in me, I can only take it in the morning.  Also, it causes vivid nightmares, and can make me feel "crazy", like I'm losing my mind.

That being said,  I've been on a 10 MG pill for a while.  I had taken a break for a few months to regain my mental normalcy and free myself of nightmares, but I noticed that I would do better when on this medication in terms of my stuffy nose.   So, if I find something that works as well, I'll substitute.  For now, I'm tolerating the side effects, but would stop if I became overwhelmed with them.

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #8 - 10/14/11 at 03:52:11

jr:
I as well as future had issues when I first went back to singulair, but mine was different, no nightmares or insomnia. But I take my zrytec
at night & added singulair at night & in the morning had trouble waking up without a drug hangover. Changed to taking singulair in morning issues went completely away, so like future in the morning works well for me. Our bodies are so strange the time taking a med can effect our ability to take it. Where you taking it each time you tried at the
same time of the day or maybe on empty stomach. If so maybe switch time & try ,or try zyflo, as for our standard treatment protocal docs use 1 or the other.
mikev

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 10/17/11 at 11:54:48

you just gave me maybe some answers too my insomonia although I had insomonia prior too starting singulair it has gotten much worse so much worse that MD put me on vistiril but now i am thinking my horrible nights might be from the new medication singular which I thought was sedating medication tonight I am going too skip it and take it in the am and see how I do I also notice lots of vivid nightmares on this medication. But  I do think its helping my mast cell problem so I dont want too stop it but thanks for this I am going to take it in am from now on not before I go too bed and will let you know how it works out as far as the anxiety I think that is part of the mast cell problem I know prior too me getting this disease I was the coolest and calmest person ever but not any more.
Also I started the singular with 10mg right away Dr did not tell me too take 5mg.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print