Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anti-histamines & weight gain?! (Read 6951 times)
MastoGem
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Anti-histamines & weight gain?!
09/15/11 at 03:13:49

http://www.yalemedicalgroup.org/stw/Page.asp?PageID=STW001621

Everytime I step on the scale I weigh MORE lately.   Cry  

Has anyone found their anti-histamines cause weight gain?

I'm pretty sure that's what it is as I haven't really changed anything else.  And the gain is SO FAST that it HAS to be (at least partially ) water retention.  But the fact that some of it is water is barely reassuring -- it is still frustrating and upsetting!!

I work out consistently and eat surprisingly clean.  I guess I'll just have to eat even less and exercise even more, right?  It's just that I'm at my all time heaviest ever and I've been doing everything right -- or at least not wrong enough to explain reaching my highest weight ever. 

Anyone have any ideas?  I'm going to raise my Gastrocrom next week so hopefully I'll need less anti-histamines.  Honestly, I have been taking them like candy.  Should I just be taking EITHER the Zrytec or the hydroxyzine, but not both?  Is that the problem?

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." — EKR

IP Logged

femaillady
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
Colorado
Re: Anti-histamines & weight gain?!
Reply #1 - 09/15/11 at 11:26:19

When I started taking high doses of zyrtec and zantac twice daily, I put on 20 pounds in less than a month, then not an ounce more.  I blamed it on the meds but my doctor didn't think so.  Nothing else in my life changed so I am still convinced it was the meds.  And I haven't been able to loose any of it either.   But I would rather have that extra 20 pounds than to spend 3 hours in the bathroom followed by a trip to the ER every 4 to 6 weeks (not to mention the stress of waiting for that next attack after that 4 week mark).  fI also take Gastocrom, but that was added months later and I didn't reduce the z&z.

IP Logged

daowebe
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 09/15/11 at 12:33:36

Maybe it's your bodies ability to absorb it? I gain weight when my food stays in my body long enough to be useful.

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #3 - 09/23/11 at 09:54:45

I have to comment on this. I have struggled with my weight almost my whole life, up and down 30 to 50lbs. I recently stopped the hydroxyzine at night because I started ketotifen and I was told it can be sedating. I have a baby that still wakes up often so I needed to be able to wake up. Once I'm adjusted I will restart hydroxyzine again. Anyways when I stopped the hydroxyzine I noticed that hunger I was constantly feeling went WAY down. I mean I would eat and an hour later I wanted to eat again. I thought there is no way I'm hungry. When I started ketotifen I was scared because most people I talked to said they gained 10lbs in a month. I decided this was not going to be my reality. I mean I look at a piece of cake and I can feel my hips growing. So I just told myself over and over again this is not going to happen in fact I'm going to lose weight. Guess what........I have lost 10lbs since starting it. Yes I'm also eating no simple carbs and grain free which helps. But, try not to think about gaining weight. What I would do when I would feel hungry especially when I knew there was no way I was hungry, I would tell myself......you are not hungry, it is the meds messing with your brain and hormones and sending the wrong message. I am not hungry! I just ate. I would do something to keep myself busy and it would pass in 5 to 15 minutes. I wish you well. You will not continue to gain, your body will adjust....you will see. It will be fine.
Hugs
Melissa

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 09/26/11 at 11:47:42

When I first got sick with this disease I lost about 50 lbs in about six months just could not eat and was nauseated and bloated and had no appitite, within a month of starting the antihistamines about 20lbs have come back on, then again I am eating again not a lot but I am not nauseated anymore and I think that is part of the problem I have my appitite back??? I kinda liked my slimmer me Sad but I hated feeling so sick so I guess I will get the 20 extra pounds just hope its not more

IP Logged

MastoGem
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 09/30/11 at 02:43:03

Thanks for your replies.

I'm now up to 140 lbs at just under 5.5.  I was 125 when I started the meds.  I have no idea when it will stop, maybe it won't.  idk

I haven't stopped the zertec, singulair, zantac or gastrocrom.  I just cut back to two zertec a day and stopped the hydroxyzine. And started taking two of Dr. Theo's quercetin pills

At this dose I have BOTH the weight gain and the masto symptoms - including a wicked bad depression and no, it's not only bc I'm big.

Silly me I just realized I couldn't have herbal tea.  Rookie mistake I know.  Maybe I'll feel better soon.  Right now I feel so sad I'm sitting at my desk at work trying to cry quietly.  Bathroom isn't really an option. This sucks.
« Last Edit: 09/30/11 at 07:53:57 by MastoGem »  

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." — EKR

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #6 - 09/30/11 at 02:49:46

Calm down Gem *hugs* 140 lbs is not that bad! I would like to get some more weight because I'm at 93.5 right now.. Sad

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

Keri
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 04/11/12 at 14:23:45

Hello everyone, just reading the post on weight gain and meds and would like to add to the thread.
When i became really unwell with Mast cell problem just over 3 years ago and no one knew what it was i lost a huge amount of weight. It seemed as if i was waking up 1kilo lighter every morning.( I live in Australia and we use kilos instead of pounds so you may need to work it out cause i dont know how to) I was generally sitting on 60kilos which was pretty average not skinny not fat. My weight plummeted over 3 months and was sitting on 45kilos and less at times. I was not eating as i felt sick constantly. When I went on Zyrtec, and Zantec i improved and using phenergan 25mg or more every couple of days for the nausea. Last year I was given Serc a histamine 1 and 3 blocker and improved far more than just on other meds. My weight has improved so much I started to  get concerned about it, at first but, I figure that due to the right meds I am feeling well and eating better, so naturally the wieght gain. Though i feel good exercise is generally out of the question as I tire very easily and it can cause a bad episode..so a daily exercise program is out of the question and beleive this hinders me from working off the food I am eating. I am going to look at certain foods that help with weight loss and find what suits me better and not cause triggers. i tried a weight lose shake once a day and had slow but good results but cautious about trigers in the shake so did not over do it. I would rather feel well and  a little over weight than be sick all the time. I have a better quality of life now on the meds and just have to be smart when it come to my diet..I find myself crunching on a carrot now and again when i get the munchies, instead of foods likely to add to my hips.
I find my biggest problem is that i will eat well for a few days and then due to mast cell problems can stop eating will for days or weeks and it messes with my weight. This is when the shakes come in handy when i don't eat well I can take one of them a day and help with nutrition and balance my weight better.
Please check any wieght loss drinks ( shakes) and ask for a test pack of one or two to see if you have any tirggers as allot these on sale are differnent in their ingrediants. others wise try and work with someone who works in the area of  weight loss  who can help with meal ideas and portion control etc.
if you feel better on the meds and have a better quality of life just buy some extra clothes that will accomadate your weight gain and loss as I find that helps as well, looking good helps you feel good and when you feel good your overall health improves. Try not to get to caught up in gaining some weight as it is better to be happy and a bit on the tubby side than skinny and miserable.

I hope what i have said it okay and helps those with weigth concerns.
Kind regards
Keri

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print