Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dental triggers (Read 3331 times)
hb36
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Dental triggers
09/14/11 at 07:29:24

Hi Everyone.  I was wondering if someone could help me understand why I would have had a fierce reaction to Mepivacaine with Epinephrine?  This was almost two years ago but I finally called the dentist to ask what they used in the shot.  This happened long before I knew I had POTS or suspected mast cell issues so at the time I didn't really know what was going on.  I just remember that I had a bad headache and literally could not get up off the floor at my house and my heart was beating out of my chest.  

I understand that I could have triggered from the Mepivacaine but wouldn't the epinephrine actually help me?  Maybe I had a hypertensive reaction and the epinephrine took my heart rate even higher?  I wonder what an Epi-pen would do to me?  

Thanks!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Dental triggers
Reply #1 - 09/14/11 at 10:36:54

Hi HB!  

What happened is that you had a reaction to the mepivacaine.  This is one of the local anesthesias that we can NOT take.  The Epinephrine with it didn't give you any problems, it was this specific anesthesia which did.  NEVER take it again!!   And you will have to be on top of any anesthesia from here on out and must make sure your doctors know which kind you can handle from here on out.  

Also, I strongly recomend that you PRE-Medicate and give to your doctors the REMA protocols prior to any kind of surgery, even minor, which requires a local.  Both you and they need to be properly prepared before any kind of work can be done on you.   And, due to the anxiety which this reaction of yours created, it would be a good idea if you were to take an anti-anxiety medication as well.  We can trigger as much from the anxiety as anything else so too much precaution is never enough.

Here's some information from the TMS anesthesia protocols so that you can understand what happened.

I hope this helps!

Lisa

Local anesthetics – True allergic reactions to local anesthetics resulting from mast cell degranulation are thought
to be rare. Skin testing and graded challenge protocols have been published and may be administered by an allergist
prior to the surgery if questions arise regarding the safe use of a local anesthetic in a patient. If possible,
preservative-free local anesthetic should be used in these tests, as the preservative often present in local anesthetics
can cause a mast cell reaction. In general, local anesthetics in the “ester” group should be avoided. This group
includes procaine, chloroprocaine, tetracaine, and benzocaine. Anaphylactic reactions to local anesthetics in the
“amide” group are rare. This group includes lidocaine, mepivacaine, prilocaine, bupivacaine, levobupivacaine, and
ropivacaine.

http://tmsforac.ipower.com/documents/Binder1.pdf

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #2 - 09/14/11 at 10:39:49

So, although the reaction you had to the mevipacaine is supposed to be rare, it doesn't say you can't react to it.  Most of us can handle lidocaine, but if you are in doubt, then perhaps you might want to pose this question to one of the masto authorities like Dr. Akin or Dr. Castells and they can help your doctors figure out what local to try on you the next time.  I would think it would be a good idea to do some skin testing on this prior to any dental work.

Lisa

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 09/14/11 at 15:59:18

It also could have been from a preservative or additive in the solution.  I also had a problem with dental anesthesia with epi.  I did the REMA protocols the last time and it was okay.  I also had them inject it very slowly, a little at a time, and that helped, too.

Joan

IP Logged

hb36
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 09/16/11 at 12:32:01

Thank you for helping me understand that and providing the information!  

Just to be clear though for others reading this...can't epinephrine cause a reaction in people with carcinoid for instance?  So I can't assume that it WASN'T the Epinephrine that caused my reaction, until I rule out out a few of the differential diagnoses of mast cell disease (like carcinoid), correct?  I don't have a mast cell diagnosis...I just highly suspect one.  
Thanks!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 09/17/11 at 11:15:57

Well, you have a point there about epinephrine causing a carcinoid patient to react, that may be a real possibility, but the epinephrine that are put into those kinds of shots is really very limited and it´s put there to help stabilize the tissues to help stop bleeding, they call it homeostasis, which means blood stability I believe.  Yet the quantity is very small and so you most likely reacted to the other ingredient instead.  This is why it would be worthwhile to do some skin testing where they can isolate these ingredients I believe and figure out what it was that you reacted to.  

As to the suspicion of the MC disorder, what is it that is making them suspect it?  Have you any tests which seem to point to it? Or is it based mainly upon your symptoms?

Lisa

IP Logged

Avonlea
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 09/28/11 at 03:01:34

Hi - My backstory is that I also have a history of the racing heart rate & shaking with lidocaine.  I have had it administered without epi & thought that was the answer, but I still have problems with it, such as splotching & shaking.  I went to a "biologic" dentist (DMD & naturopath) last week.  He did muscle testing on me - which doesn't make sense to me, so I won't rely on it -and pronounced that I was allergic to lidocaine, carbocaine, wheat & dairy.  He thought I was not allergic to septocaine.  I'm getting those potential allergens checked by an allergist/immunologist.

What may be of interest to the forum is that I had a deep cleaning on my teeth/gums last Thursday.  They used an herbal irrigant called "Tooth & Gums." They were very proud of themselves for not using fluoride, as they believe it is toxic.  Within an hour, I had a feeling of tightness all over my head, the sense that my throat was swollen, and my gums ached.  I put this off to the vigor of the cleaning and to what they said was a gum infection.  I took home "Tooth & Gums Tonic," which is only sold at dental practices.  I got the companion "Tooth & Gums" toothpaste on Saturday.  By Sunday afternoon, after a vigorous flossing, brushing and rinsing, my gums were very swollen & I had the throat & head symptoms with a vengeance.  By Sunday night, I also had the mast cell activation symptoms - swollen abdomen, severe facial flushing & racing heart rate.  I've been having trouble ever since.  Eating & brushing with the milder paste I used to use is still bothering me.   UndecidedI don't know what toothpaste to use.  It was a lesson to me that "natural toothpastes" contain a lot of herbs that can trigger us, particularly after someone has been poking around our gums.  
« Last Edit: 09/28/11 at 05:42:39 by Avonlea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print