Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tachycardia help plz!! (Read 4993 times)
Godsgal
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

tachycardia help plz!!
08/25/11 at 04:04:01

I feel soooo close to feeling better but my high heart rate and corresponding low bp are my main issues right now.  If only I could get help with this, I would appreciate ANY help.

To start I can confidently say that attempting to get my mast cell disease in order has helped me sooooo much and for that I'm thankful.  
The meds I take:  Singulair 10mg am & pm, Zyrtec 5mg in am/5mg in afternoon/10 mg at night, Zantac 150 mg BID, Midodrine 2.5 mg 3 times daily.

My trouble now is the ridiculous low blood pressure & high heart rate.  I'm just stuck.  I need help!  My blood pressure ranges from 79/50 to 98/60 throughout the day along with over 100 if standing.  My EKG during a recent attack just showed a faulty right ventricular conduction...I guess what happens before you get the bundle block.  I have no idea if I'm even saying that right but no one including the ER or my cardiologist was too concerned about it.  But my cardiologist did say he wanted my heart rate under 100 or my heart would just get weaker and weaker.  I'm more concerned about the tachy than the bp at this point b/c I have learned to live with the bp....but the high heart rate is wearing my heart out and I don't like that.

I'm tired, spent, worn out, and need help.  I have thought about ativan b/c I know it can help some with mast cell disorders but reading about it online doesn't comfort me much as far as potentially lowering my blood pressure more.  The midodrine doesn't seem to work very much even when I'm on 7.5 mg and then the side effects from it are miserable.  I wanted to try doxepin for the mast cells since my allergist said it was 80 times stronger than benadryl.  But I have to get off the midodrine first and my bp is WAY too low for that.  

Any help would be appreciated.  I'm struggling right now.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: tachycardia help plz!!
Reply #1 - 08/25/11 at 06:29:26

So glad you've been feeling better!  Still, I think you should be able to get all those pesky symptoms under control using more or different meds.  At first I also had low bp and high heart rate, in the same range as yours, too.  Getting on the right meds has solved that problem.  I still have a little of both sometimes, but it's now usually in the normal range.  Are you staying on the low histamine diet?  Some of the forbidden foods could be causing symptoms otherwise.

I'm assuming you had the high heart rate before you started on the antihistamines.  If not, then you might want to switch to a different one.  Avoid those that contain any type of decongestant, i.e., zyrtec-D, because decongestants are known to increase heart rate in some people.  Also avoid any nasal decongestant drops or sprays.  If you notice that your heart rate increases after eating a specific, take it out of your diet.  I found that I was getting increased heart rate after eating anything in the morning, so I started the day with mild ginger tea or just a cup or two of warm water and my morning meds.  If I waited 30 min-1 hr., I can eat without side effects.  Now that is only a problem sometimes.

If you're able to take Allegra in the morning, instead of the Zyrtec, it might help without making you sleepy and could possibly last until evening.  The 60 mg. Allegra works for up to 12 hours, and the 180 mg. is a 24-hr. med.  If not, try taking the entire 10 mg. of zyrtec in the a.m. and add another H1 antihistamine in the afternoon if you need it, for example, Benadryl (diphenhydramine) or Vistaril (hydroxyzine).  The maximum dosage on Zyrtec is much, much higher than you're taking, so you could also ask the doctor if you can take 10 mg., 3 times/day instead of the 5 mg.  My doctors have me taking Allegra in the a.m. and Zyrtec at night, and that works well for me.  If those help, then the mast cell disorder is probably causing the symptoms.  

Of course, ask your doctor about all additions or changes you want to make.  I don't know if they'll interact with the midodrine, as I'm not familiar with it.  Doxepin was a great med for me.  It can cause some sleepiness at first, though, so I took it at bedtime.  You can ask your doctor if it's possible to switch to doxepin, for example, starting on a low dose of doxepin and working your way up as you decrease on the midodrine.

Let us know how you're doing and what changes work for you!

Joan

IP Logged

Godsgal
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 08/25/11 at 12:20:45

Hi Joan...thanks so much for writing.  I'm pretty sullen tonight.  I have an allergy to milk and I just found out it's in my Singulair and my zyrtec that I take in the form of lactose monohydrate.  I'm very upset....I need both of these meds.  The tachy has been a problem long before the antihistamines.  That's why I feel I don't have enough blocking me to reduce the symptoms.  I wake up in the morning and I'm sleeping with a really high heart rate.  Nothing I'm eating.  And it persists all day.  I am on the histamine diet....to a T.  No cheating.  In fact, I'm on like an 8 foods only diet because I seem to be reacting to everything.  Maybe I can get some of my meds compounded to avoid this lactose ingredient.  Unfortunately, the zyrtec is not able to be compounded....   Embarrassed

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 08/26/11 at 08:26:18

As long as your blood pressure is so low, you are going to have some degree of tachycardia. You have to have some way of getting the blood around to all your tissues. If the blood pressure is low, the heart rate goes up to compensate.

One thing that could help is increasing your blood volume. This will increase your blood pressure, and maybe slow down your heart. Drinking extra fluids WITH extra salt is one way to do this. I used to drink very slightly salted water all day to get my blood volume up. If you just drink plain water, you will probably urinate it all back out. It is due to an imbalance in certain hormones that manage blood fluid levels. You can use drugs to correct it, but it is harder on your body than using the extra fluids and salt.

Check with your doctor to be sure this is OK, as I don't know your whole medical history, but many people have used this, including me.

My HR was at 100 or over for several years, and it has not damaged my heart. I know it is hard to tolerate, and makes you feel anxious as your heart beats so fast, but hopefully you will find something that helps soon, and there will not have been any damage from this period of time.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 08/26/11 at 20:26:28

The World Health Organization publishes a rehydration solution recipe that I find helpful.  Even a little dehydration can affect heart rate and BP.

Joan

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 08/27/11 at 06:08:48

Hi Sweety!
I have to agree with Joan on this--and I know how easily you trigger to meds,, but Im thinking you might do well with w childrens dose Allegra.. ( 60 mg) try it only once a day to begin with and start in the AM... that is the only med that made my tachycardia go away over 80%. I hope you feel better soon Smiley
hugs
me

PS as long as your meds (Singulair and Zyrtec) are helping you, dont worry about any small lactose in them==your body is obviously handing it well, If it aint broke dont fix it lol.

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

daowebe
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 09/22/11 at 12:50:54

I have an allergy to milk too but not to the sugars (lactose) but to the proteins (casein + casein micelle).  I too use Allegra and it seems to help a lot.  Hope you feel better!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print