Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new at this... (Read 4902 times)
iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

new at this...
08/10/11 at 09:25:13

First of all,I'm techno-challenged; so hope im doing this right. I meant for this to go in the "share your story" forum- so hopefully...
My name is Lori & I have TMEP. I live in Michigan. I was diagnosed by a skin biopsy a few months ago. My allergist/immunologist is pretty good. If I feel I am getting worse, I'll try Dr. Baldwin at U of M.
Many of my symptoms are the same as those of you with Systemic Masto. It's hard explaining this disease to people. They just dont get it.
Does anyone have any suggestions on work I can do at home ?

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: new at this...
Reply #1 - 08/10/11 at 09:49:54

Hi Lori and welcome to the board!!
Yes explaining our illness to people is pretty complicated and its hard for them to understand something they cant hold in their hands and see.

Here is an idea that any of you can do. One christmas my sister took all the family photo albums (20 of them) and scanned all pictures, put them in order and made a DVD for everyone as a present. At the time I thought, "How creative!! Now I can give my photo albums to my grown kids and I never have to worry about a fire destroying the most important memories."

I think a business called "Memory Savers" would be super easy to run, your only cost is buying blank DVDs.. You charge by the hour OR by how many albums they want "saved"(scanned). You advertise it as saving their memories... you give them their DVD and one copy and tell them to make one new copy of it a year in case the disc ever tries to corrupt.. You also tell them to use the DVD in their dvd player at family events and holidays==it will run like a slideshow on their tv (with you giving each picture maybe a 8 second timing).
Hope this helps
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 08/10/11 at 10:11:39

I created a tutoring service which I run from my home office. I hire tutors, train them, and supervise the progress of the students. So, basically I match up the tutors with the students and oversee it. There are different versions of this business that one can create....

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 08/11/11 at 01:01:54

You ladies are so resourceful-great ideas ! I know so many of you are much worse off than me, but not knowing when this disease will strike and put me out of commission for a few days is frustrating to say the least. Ive had to resign from my job of 15 years. I was exposed to a LOT at work, in fact my Dr. suspects thats what brought out the TMEP (looong story short). Thanks again for the support and encouragement you give us all <3

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #4 - 08/11/11 at 04:21:32

Lori,
You lucked out! You found this forum. Let me tell you, it is the BEST! Awsome support, great place to vent and has been the best source of knowledge on Mast Cell disorders I've found. So with that, WELCOME!!!!

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 08/11/11 at 17:06:56

The two of you are awesome and make helping on the board so well worth it!
here is another idea... an ebay business---Go to OUTLET malls were you get items at a fraction of their price and plan ahead on what time of year calls for what and what will sell and when.. Example.. June would have been the time for weddings and proms..

Some of the BEST items are Disney and Victorias Secret. Buy items at the clearance price and sell at full price or let an auction drive the price way up. More people shop online every year..
good luck!!
Ramona

IP Logged

jennto
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
toronto
Reply #6 - 08/12/11 at 05:48:36

Hi Lori,
My name is Jenn and Im from Toronto Canada, I too have TMEP. I just came back from another wasted trip to my dermatologist.  According to him, there is nothing that can be done about this rare and annoying skin disease. I feel as if Im on my own dealing with this,  as every dermatologist just seems to care about cosmetic  more then medical. I'm also wondering why other people are on meds and I'm not.
I dont have answers regarding your question but felt the need to reach out to you because you understand the frustration. You are right, it is hard to explain to people. I hope maybe we can share our jouney to a positive treatment. My doctor refered my to Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins. Have you ever heard of them? or puva??

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #7 - 08/12/11 at 06:14:43

Hi Jenn
Youre not alone anymore, I can promise you that much!! Hon it goes like this--do you have any symptoms?? If not dont worry about being on meds... I went 20 years with no symptoms then it started. DRs will medicate you by health problems youre having. OK Tell us about you.. what problems are you having??
Glad youre here with us Smiley
hugs
Ramona

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #8 - 08/15/11 at 03:27:17

Hi Lori,

Welcome to our home!!  I'm glad you found us.

Lori, your doctors attitudes are typical, actually both of you have doctors with typical attitudes in that they don't KNOW masto and therefore don't understand the implications and consequences of not being medicated and educated properly. This is not right.

I urge you both to continue looking for doctors who understand this disease better.  Your present doctors are underestimating the disease.  Yes, it is an incurable disease and Yes, it's true that it's not a horribly aggressive disease, but this doesn't mean that it doesn't put us into danger nor is it debilitating.   We masto patients have a RIGHT for our disease to be taken seriously for it does indeed put us through a great deal of grief and it can and does put us INTO DANGER!!

With all of us there is always the POTENTIAL for anaphylaxis and just because you don't have anaphylaxis as one of your major symptoms doesn't mean it can't or won't happen.  And any kind of risky procedure always can put you into danger because you never know how you will react until you are in the midst of that procedure!!  Our doctors need to know this so that the proper precautions can be taken.  

Masto is not some skin disease like psoriasis or eczema!  TMEP is not one of these minor skin disorders!  TMEP is only ONE FORM of mastocytosis and you can indeed have systemic involvement as much as any of us who don't have a single spot on our skin!  Without a hematologist taking a look at your bone marrow and blood work and doing a full workup of your case they can't say that it hasn't gone systemic.  Those of you with skin lesions may indeed be fortunate and not have systemic involvement yet only your tryptase level is really the indicator of that.  And, if your tryptase is over 20, then your doctors should do a baseline BMB and CHECK to see if they can find evidence of the MC aggegates.

REGARDLESS of what they find, if you are showing any kind of symptoms of systemic involvement, this must be TAKEN SERIOUSLY and you MUST be properly medicated!  If you go through a lot of diarrhea, regardless of whether or not your tryptase is low, you are going to have issues with malabsorption.  If you have gone systemic, then those MC aggregates are invading your bone marrow and then there come issues with anemia and osteoporosis and other matter.  

So, just because it's MERELY TMEP is not an excuse to dismiss you as though you had eczema!  Masto must be taken seriouslya and one of the reasons why is that you've got to be properly medicated in order to keep the triggering down.  Many of us can find ourselves caught in a vicious cycle of triggering.  Our MCs can end up triggering themselves when they get stuck in this situation.  If you're not properly medicated you can accidentally get caught in this self-triggering situation and the ONLY way out of it is by being properly medicated with a doctor who KNOWS what he's doing.

Jenn, as to Canada, you are in a certain bind due to your health system for Canada has no recognized authorities in mastocytosis.  I know the Canada masto site puts Dr. Sibbald on a high pedestal but he is not a mastocytosis researcher and doesn't claim to be.  He's has been working with masto patients, yes, and has a good understanding as to mast cells due to their involvement with scarring, but his area of expertise is that as an authority on scarring and this is where his understanding of mastocytosis comes from, that of knowing mast cells and their role in the skin and from there he has specialized a bit with masto patients.

This puts Canadians in a bind because when you live in a country where there are no authorities in a specific disease, the rest of the medical community don't have anyone they can run to, nor does the information trickle down to lower level doctors.   I live with this very same challenge in living in Brazil.  I'm an American and have had to reach out to International Authorities to find help.  

Another problem is that if you go to the Canada site, they will do everything to discourage you from going to the States and this isn't right.  Due to the fact that Canada has no recognized authorities nor research center in mastocytosis, you have very few doctors to whom you can find your answers.  Please understanding, I'm not bashing the site and we have other Canadians here who will confirm what I'm saying.  We patients need help at times and we have the RIGHT to leave our countries and cross the borders in order to find that help.  Those in Europe are much more accustomed to doing this than we Americans and Canadians are due to the sizes of our countries.  Even here in Brazil, I've come to the end of my line and must now consider how I can afford to return to the States.  it's a rare disease, and that means that the doctors are even more rare!!

If you really are considering going to the States, knowing what is involved, there is BUT ONE place I recommend to you:  BOSTON!!!   If you are going to go to the States, please go see either Dr. Cem Akin or Dr. Mariana Castells.  They are considered our very best and they have a center for Excellence in Masto and that means that they have an entire group of doctors and pathologists who can do the full workup of your case.  It would save you a lot of time and grief trying to find answers.

I'm not advertising them, I'm only saying what I would say to anybody here asking for advice.  My hope is to get to Boston to see them for myself!  

So, ladies, you've got some studying to do, some doctor hunting as well!  We're here to help you and encourage you and to even cry with you if you need us!!

Hugs!!!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 08/16/11 at 05:21:04

Lisa;
I got on here today to ask for advice-and saw your post.Let me try n make a long story short. Ive had allergies all my life. Lots of dental issues; lots of sinus infections,etc, brought on & made worse by my job with special needs kids in a moldy old building. Last year, I started getting chronic hives for about 8 months straight. Switched allergists, was put on antihistamines & prednisone: cleared up last August,just in time for my sons wedding. This March, I had a Bad case of hives, my face swelled up & ended up in the ER-treated for "acute allergic reaction". Of course this was on the weekend. My allergist put me on stronger antihistamines n prednisone. Meanwhile, my family doc. took me off ALL 13+ meds I was on for blood pressure,cholesterol, etc.cuz she freaked out at my "allergic reaction". Meanwhile, I was still having itching & scabs that hives had never left before... At the urging of friends-I went to another allergist for a 2nd opinion. I was sent to a dermotologist-who confirmed I had Scabies! Meanwhile, my B.P.s outa control,started new meds etc... MY allergist was ticked at the family dr. for being soo drastic..n HE's thinkin I coulda had the hives either from the scabies or Clindamycin for dental work !
SO: scabies start to go away n Im left with these pink & brown dots all over me. Dermatologist says "oh thats just debris left from the scabies,it'll go away". Well, it didnt. Next follow up, I ask the partner Dermatologist what are these weird dots ? SHE had the sense to take a skin biopsy, n thats how I found out it was TMEP. So, I tell my orig. allergist who has more sense than my family doc. He asks for all test results etc... Meanwhile, the school cuts my health insurance cuz I had to use up my sick days, n had to wait to get ins. thru my husband.
Now I am on Allegra 24 , Zantac 150, Zyrtec 24, Advair, Pro vent, plus my blood pressure meds. I have a list of what to avoid, Epi-pens, an emergency card in my purse etc. etc. (also 20lb.s lighter,n my hairs fallin' out)
Dr. Younes asked if he could present my case to the other docs at Beaumont. I said yes & gave him pictures. Whatever will help- Im for it. Most days Im okay- but about once a month, I "lose 2-3 days to an "attack". Aching, flushing, nausea-feels like Ive been hit all over with a baseball bat. Pink spots come and go all the time.
My question is this- now he's suggesting that I may want to get a Bone Marrow biopsy to see if its systemic. I probably can guess what you're gonna say... but Should I ? And has anyone got an opinion on the Dr. Baldwin thats now at U of M ?  
thanks again for your advice- it means so much to know i am NOT alone!

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #10 - 08/16/11 at 05:50:31

Hello, welcome to the forum. My name is Melissa and I too have TMEP as well as fibromyalgia. I also have systemic symptoms. I have found that 300mg of zantac twice daily helps with the flushing and skin issues. When I first was diagnosed and started with meds, the biggest difference I noticed was when I started with zantac and then when I upped to dosage to 300mg. I have not had a BM biopsy, I had a serum tryptase blood test and it was only 3.4, and from what I understand if your level is at 20 thats when they think systemic mastocytosis and usually do a biopsy. Some of the girls on here no more and can comment on that more. This forum is great and very informative and I don't know what I would do without it.
Oh and also I recommed checking out the threads on what medicine people take, it helps.
Melissa

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #11 - 08/16/11 at 07:29:30

Lori,

I don't have but a minute to say this, and I can say more tomorrow, but for right now, first of all, YOU'VE GOT A GREAT ATTITUDE and with your attitude you WILL find more answers!!   If you are willing to work WITH your doctors and learn and keep those attitudes, they will also reciprocate and try to find more answers for you!!

This has been my attitude and I'm not afraid to help other doctors learn!!  Yet, what's at the base of this is that you know, as long as a stone remains unturned, there may be something else hiding and without turning that stone over, you can't know what's there.

So, in saying that, Lori, don't be afraid to face a BMB.  They can put you out for it, and they should sedate you in some way to keep the anxiety from triggering you.  A baseline BMB is good and important and helps to uncover anything else which might be going on with you.   Mine did not show the MC aggregates, but without mine we would never have known that I'm iron poor, nor that my masto is indeed causing pathological damage.  My diagnosis is basically based upon what is NOT seen in that I show normal lymphocyte aggregates, which is something that masto does indeed do, but where those pesky hidden MC aggregates are we don't know, but this happens to be a feature of the MMAS form of masto and it throws a very heavy shadow upon that form, so it helped to reveal something that we could never have known without the BMB.  

So, ,yes, Lori, I do think it's a good thing to do and then once it's done, ti will be YEARS before you need to do another.

I hope this helps!!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print