Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can you split Allegra 180 (allegra 60 only comes in tiny boxes) (Read 5669 times)
nycpots
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
New York, NY
Can you split Allegra 180 (allegra 60 only comes in tiny boxes)
08/08/11 at 12:56:08

I am trying to see if i can take less allegra but keep hearing different things (and my pharmacist is useless on this) re: whether it's possible to split the 180 dose that comes in nice big bottles (vs the 60's which come in blister packs of about 12 or 20). Does anyone else take these lower doses and still find them effective to prevent attacks?

I just hate pumping so much medicine in my body - i feel like a veritable toxic dump these days.......so was wondering if i could lower the allegra and take 'extra doses' if needed.....

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Can you split Allegra 180 (allegra 60 only comes in tiny boxes)
Reply #1 - 08/08/11 at 15:45:18

My pharmacist and I had a similar discussion on this topic. He told me he would need to research the answer for me. In the meantime, we discussed that IF I try the over the counter version of allegra, I could always try taking the 60 mg pills and add more if needed on that. (I typically take 180 mgs.) So far I haven't gathered the courage to try the over the counter version rather than my prescription allegra. Sadly, I cannot get the prescription anymore due to lack of stock at my pharmacy, so I might have to try the over the counter.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

nycpots
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
New York, NY
Reply #2 - 08/08/11 at 16:23:09

Yes - i'm in the same boat. If you learn anything from your pharmacist, will you let me know and i"ll do the same? Thank you!!!

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 08/09/11 at 05:54:34

NOOO dont do that. Hon the 180 is a time release and IF you break it open, you get the full dose at one time and will feel really bad see?? Im sorry about the price--it hurts I know that for sure.. Today I will find  the www site to get it at low price or free and I will post it here.  
hugs to all
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #4 - 08/09/11 at 15:44:03

Ramona, I am not sure that it still cannot be cut in half. I know that zyrtec can (the pediatrician doc told me I could give my child 1/2 a zyrtec)/ The pharmacist and I discussed the time release part, and that is the reason he was going to research it.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print