Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anybody Doing Gluten Free? (Read 8978 times)
Jewel
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Anybody Doing Gluten Free?
08/03/11 at 08:55:52

Hi, I'm new here with a host of food intolerances and resulting 'conditions'.  Has anybody decided to go gluten free?  I discovered that I am gluten intolerant 2 years ago and the other conditions I have were caused by the GI.  Many ppl can be gluten intolerant and don't even know it as GI masquerades as many other conditions.  In gluten sensitive ppl, gluten damages the lining of the small intestine so that nutrients from foods are not properly absorbed.  On top of that, the damage to the SI prevents the manufacture of other necessary enzymes, such as those needed to digest fructose and deal with histamines in food.  Going gluten free gives your small intestine the chance to heal and in time the body can then deal with fructose, lactose and histamine rich foods that you can't tolerate right now.  I was in my late 50s when I realized that gluten was a big problem for me.  Unfortunately I had a lifetime of bowel damage by then so it's going to take a while to heal.  But I would never have a chance of healing at all if I did not go gluten free.  There is much medical research being done and it is known that gluten intolerance causes at least 300 symptoms.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Anybody Doing Gluten Free?
Reply #1 - 08/03/11 at 11:28:42

I stopped eating gluten in August 2008.  In February 2009 I had my first serious episode of anaphylaxis.  Although I'm sticking with the gluten-free diet, it's certainly not a cure for a mast cell disorder.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #2 - 08/04/11 at 07:41:11

I felt better with-in 2 days of going gluten free. People think it is hard to be g-free, but these days it is getting easier. I know some great gluten free blogs with great recipes. If your interested I can forward you the links. L-glutamine is supposed to help heal your small intestine as well as aloe vera.

Melissa

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #3 - 08/05/11 at 12:21:03

My husband is gluten free although he eats this white frozen sliced spelt gluten free bread or toast. He's not celiac and technically he's not allergic to wheat but when he eats it he wakes up the next day feeling like he's had a bottle of wine. Hes much stiffer and his joints are achy.

He misses bread so much, that's what he misses the most! He doesn't care about the wine, cheese and everything else but he'd give a limb to eat loaf of good Italian or French bread thats been  freshly baked!

Patricia

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #4 - 08/05/11 at 12:39:23

Spelt is a type of wheat... and contains just as much gluten:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelt

The best gluten-free bread I've found is the "Homemade Wonderful Bread Mix" by Bob's Red Mill.  It has yeast and it's actually fluffy!!  I make it in two loaves and seriously eat at least one whole loaf that first day after it comes out of the oven.  It's not quite as good as french bread (of course), but it does have a chewy crust and that yeasty smell of "real" bread.  It's definitely worthwhile to bake it yourself.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #5 - 08/05/11 at 12:51:10

Haha I know we are in denial about the spelt being wheat...but he doesn't seem to have issues with this specific brand of bread.

I have tried their flours before but will gladly take your bread recommendation!!! We have done some serious amount of experimenting and have had some good results and lots of weird end results!!!

The hardest thing is trying to find something to munch or snack on...any suggestions?

Patricia

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #6 - 08/05/11 at 13:46:29

One thing I forgot to mention about the bread... add 1/8 to 1/4 cup of honey!  It makes the bread more moist and a little sweet.  I've done it without the honey, but it's not quite as good.

As for snack ideas... yes Smiley

- Hummus as a dip using one or more of the following: raw carrots, red pepper slices, a good GF cracker like "Mary's Gone Crackers," etc...

- Raw vegetables dipped in ranch dressing

- Fruit (if you can tolerate it): apples, peaches, blueberries, plums... whatever is in season

- Corn chips and salsa (careful to get brands that are GF)

- Cottage cheese or a container of yogurt

- Glutino pretzels (expensive, but they are GOOD)

- Toast with mashed avocado, nut butter, jam and/or Nutella (Udi's is the best pre-made bread I've found)

- A bowl of gluten-free cereal (Rice Chex, corn flakes, etc...)

- A GF waffle (Van's is really good) with a little syrup or honey

I often turn larger portions of these foods into meals.  Scrambled eggs are also really good on GF toast or waffles.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #7 - 08/05/11 at 13:48:49

One other thought... if you like to bake, Pamela's makes a mix that you can substitute 1:1 for wheat flour in a lot of your normal recipes.  One of my favorites is gluten-free pumpkin bars.  YUM.  It's also good for making pancakes, muffins, and other types of quick breads.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #8 - 08/06/11 at 02:06:08

Heather thanks so much for your suggestions!
The only problem is he really can't eat any of those things...
Highly lactose and slightly fructose intolerant
Can't do any fruits and veggies have to pretty cooked
He has started to eat oatmeal with fresh strawberries in the morning so that's an improvement
Anything orange carrots, sweet potatoes make him react
He can't do any vinegars, seasonings, soy, nuts, corn

I have made him gluten free bread sticks to have to munch on, I was going to make some basic granola today.

Thanks again!!!

Patricia

IP Logged

TiffanyB
Rookie

I live in a Field of Unlimited
Possibilities.
Western Maryland
Reply #9 - 08/07/11 at 17:54:17

Patricia, how did you find the fructose sensitivity?  Does he have reactions to a lot of veggies?  Is it salicylate type of symptoms?  I was reading today that cooking takes away some of the salicylates...

We can't do gluten, eggs or dairy either...I so miss having a normal diet for our family...so many foods healthy for others are toxic to our little guy.  Sad

I work, live and love with my hubby, Gary.  We have two freakishly adorable children, and were thrown for a loop to discover our little guy's severe global sensitivities were MCAD.  

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #10 - 08/08/11 at 00:47:43

He was tested by hydrogen breath test, not fun...you go in on an empty stomach and they make you drink either lactose or fructose and over a 3hr period you breath into this bag. He was off the charts lactose intolerant and just at the positive level for fructose. He's also allergic to dairy.

I don't think hes salicylite intolerant because he can take aspirin. All veggies have to be really cooked. I can't even tell you how much we miss we just being able to eat anything! We went on a mini road trip 3 days ago and it's so hard...there are no fast food places to and grab something.

Patricia

IP Logged

MastoGem
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 08/08/11 at 09:00:08

I've been gluten free for about 8 months.  

All I can say is that gluten definitely makes me feel worse.  My acid reflux increased exponentially during the gluten challenge prior to a biopsy for celiacs.   Although I have no damage to the villi found during the biopsy - they found Barrett's esophagus (a pre-cancerous condition) caused by acid refluxing into the esophagus..  

So although my GI guy said I can eat gluten -- he also didn't have a clue how I could have Barrett's.  Who knows?  Maybe it's just another MASTO thing.  But it sure gets worse with gluten.

By the way I'm only a "Carbohydrate Specific Diet" now and eat NO GRAINS.  That helps even more.

Good luck.

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." — EKR

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #12 - 01/14/12 at 16:40:13

I'm trying gluten free but haven't noticed an improvement and I sure miss bread and pasta Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print