Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pollen allergies leading to GI symptoms (Read 4406 times)
Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Pollen allergies leading to GI symptoms
07/25/11 at 17:00:43

I'm doing some reading to see if I can figure out a solution to my recurring bouts of abdominal pain.  I just ran across this article:

http://www.jiaci.org/issues/vol19s1/2.pdf

Interesting!  Lots of jargon, but worth a read for anyone in the group with pollen allergies.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Pollen allergies leading to GI symptoms
Reply #1 - 07/26/11 at 05:14:08

Heather

If not too personal, what part of your abdomen is the pain in? Upper/lower?  Center, left-side, right-side?

I have dealt with these issues for years...several things have been implicated in my lower abdominal pain...1)IC (lower center and even a bit to the left or right sometimes), 2) spasming colon (lower left, mid right, upper right).  I also had some associated with cycles but went on a very low dose continous bcp so I didnt get bedridden for half the month.

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 07/28/11 at 05:25:02

My pain is in my lower abdomen... pretty much in the center... which makes it difficult to tell if the pain is in my uterus, intestines, or a combination of the two.  Since I had a vaginal ultrasound (now there's personal for ya!) in October and got a clean bill of health from my GYN, it's definitely possible that my intestines are involved.  Dr. Castells asked me to try an elimination diet for a few weeks.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 07/28/11 at 06:48:06

If you haven't had a colonoscopy (yayyy!), you might consider that.  Also, you might get the IC testing.  IC can be pain only, mine is...also for some people the inflammation can be in the top part of the bladder so pain can be higher.  As they have ruled out girl probs, those are two other ideas.  If you haven't tried them, antispasmodics, such as bentyl or levsin can be really helpful in a crunch.  If they help, is either colon or bladder.  They are one of my  "backup" meds if things really start heading south (oops did I just say that?).

PS-I have pretty severe environmental allergies and a couple of drug allergies.  I do have IBS/GERD and IC. A point of note, about 75% of IC patients have diagnosed allergies, while maybe a quarter of the general population does.  So, there seems to be strong correlation there.

My IBS symptoms are controlled with prilosec and zantac and I think the lyrica helps too.  Before these meds well lets just say that 5-10 times a day was not unusual + it was ridiculous working with that.  

When you are trying that elmination diet you might also give a peek at the IC diet they are pretty similar if you start out with the basic diet + drink only bottled water (that can be kinda tough).
« Last Edit: 07/28/11 at 11:08:07 by texan1960 »  

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print