Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dizzy and ill feeling (Read 4832 times)
kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Dizzy and ill feeling
06/16/11 at 04:57:33

I can't seem to shake this feeling. Yesterday was HORRIBLE. I couldn't move about or look from left to right without feeling like I was either going to pass out or vomit. I had the splotchy rash on my arms as if I had been in the sun, which I had not. I took my BP and it was actually just a tad high but nothing alarming. I stayed that way all day. I wondered if I had overdosed on antihistamines for the day before yesterday I got over heated outside and was trembling and sick to my stomach. So I came inside, took a cool shower, and still couldn't shake it. So I took two benedryl and it knocked me out. I slept for an hour and half. When I woke I felt better but weak. Then yesterday I was soooo dizzy and sick to my stomach. I thought maybe it was too much meds so I pushed through the day and when i woke this morning I didn't feel AS bad but still on the verge of dizziness and nausia. SO I took a Zyrtec and here it is 3 hours later and I still do not feel well. Not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions?

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Dizzy and ill feeling
Reply #1 - 06/16/11 at 05:04:49

Hi Kim,
Hon I dont remember all the meds you are taking but my simple answer would be, youre reacting to something right now and you need to up your meds. You choose which one works the best for you and increase it, at least temporarily.

Right now the heat is so bad, many of us are having the same problem--increase our meds or react and suffer. The 3 meds that make the most immediate difference to me when I react are; Benadryl, Vistaril and Chlortrimeton (You dont need all of those just choose what works best for you).

Please stay in very cool AC and pare your diet back for a few days to very light and bland foods til you arent reacting anymore. Im thinking of you.
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #2 - 06/16/11 at 05:10:27

Oh Ramona! Thank you so much for your quick reply. I really don't take any med's for Mast Cell with the exception of putting myself on Zyrtec. One 10mg in the am and one in the pm. Taking that Benedryl the other day as an extra was the first time I had ever done that. SO I was worried yesterday that perhaps that was my problem. I do not feel that way today. I think if the added Benedryl were my problem yesterday, by now that should have worn off.

I appreciate you advice and will do that. I was just a bit worried because this symptom is NEW to me. I've had tiny blips of it but never having lasted DAYS! WHEW! Thanks sweetie!

Kim

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 06/16/11 at 06:13:44

One addition to Ramona's good advice.  You might try adding an H2 histamine blocker, such as Zantac or Pepcid.  A lot of people have good luck with 150 mg. Zantac, twice/day or Pepcid, 20-40 mg. twice/day.  Of course, run it by your doctor if you have any concerns about starting new meds.

Joan

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #4 - 06/16/11 at 06:42:45

Wow I hadn't realized that Zantak was also a mast cell med. I have been taking that faithfully 150 mg once daily for a year now. Sometimes when my GERD is really bad  I will add a second dose. I have no problem taking two a day. The directions say NOT to take more then that though. I don't always take two a day but perhaps I should start.

Thanks Joan!

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 06/16/11 at 06:59:21

Those "limits" are for normal people.  I take 300mg of Zantac twice a day with no side effects.  People with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome (which causes an over-production of stomach acid) take even more... as much as 10x the normal dose... with no long-term problems.  H2 antihistamines don't cause drowsiness like the first-generation H1s.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #6 - 06/16/11 at 07:09:07

Normal people lol... I HAD to laugh hehe... Im with Heather and Joan, most of us take 300 mg twice a day--and it makes me so much better Smiley
hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #7 - 06/16/11 at 08:07:05

Well I think since this is not being instructed by a doctor I will start with just 300mg per day of Zantak and my 20mg per day of Zyrtec and see how I feel and then increase as needed.

Thanks so much ALL!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #8 - 06/16/11 at 09:18:17

Kim,

What you describe is TYPICAL MASTO!  You're descibing the inicial steps of anaphylaxis, Dear!  

What happens is that we can begin triggering - a chain reaction kind of trigger. When you came in out of the heat, took that cold shower, you counter acted the triggering, but it's like a tsunami in that although you may have stopped the cause of the wave, you still didn't stop the wave itself.  which is why you kept feeling awful.  In taking the Benedryl, you began to counteract the wave.  I really doubt that it was the 2 benedryl which caused you to be knocked out, it was the reacting which did this!  I've had that horrendous exhaustion come on me following those exact same situation you have - heat, skin rashing up, nausea - this IS anaphylaxis, only you didn't go over the very edge into a crisis.  The exhaustion is part of the symptoms and the reason why I say this is because when you woke up  you still feel exhausted - why, because your body becomes depleated!

But what happened with today that you are still on the verge of dizziness and nausea - the wave has not been stopped, Kim!  It's still rolling inland!  

Anaphylaxis isn't just a one time, done deal.  Not with mastocytosis!  The reason why is because these are NOT IgE mediated reactions.  

An IgE mediated reaction is a big explosion reaction - you eat a peanut, the enzymes of the peanut activate all of the mast cells all at once and there is a hyper/super/explosive reaction for your entire body to have to deal with.  This is why IgE mediated anaphylaxis is so deadly!   But mastocytosis does NOT respond this way.  Most of the time our mast cells are triggered by other means and they are partially triggered or only in certain areas/systems.  This is why sometimes you will have what we call breakout symptoms which would be diarrhea or angioedema, or urticaria, or flushing, or rashes or perhaps a combination of rashes and diarrhea, etc.  The triggering of the mast cells is not always total and complete as it would be with an IGE mediated allergic reaction!  And the reactions don't always lead into full anaphylaxis.   And when it does go into full anaphylaxis it doesn't mean that it's going to go full systemic either!  I had an anaphylaxis attack which presented with only INTENSE diarrhea and weakness and flushing.  The major symptom was the diarrhea and even my doctors were surprised by it for they had no ideia that anaphylaxis could present with ONLY diarrhea as the major reaction!  These things are one reason why our doctors can't recognize our more severe reactions as anaphylaxis for they are trained to recognize only the IgE mediated explosion.  

However, a word of great caution!!  We masto patients can be lulled into complacency thinking that we don't or won't explode!  WE CAN AND DO!  

If you had ignored your symptoms and not taken that shower or benedryl you would have kept getting worse and it could have taken you to the ER!  Seriously!   Heat is one of our WORST ENEMIES and it MUST not be taken lightly!   It is a KNOWN MC ACTIVATOR as is contrast, anxiety, red wine, opioids and other meds.  These things are proven to activate mast cells and therefor you can not fool yourself thinking that you can handle driving over to the market just to run in and get a pound of butter and a gallon of milk at 2 PM on a hot summer afternoon!  IT WON'T WORK!!  You WILL trigger and you WILL feel the effects in some form or manner - PERIOD!  I don't care how brief you are in the heat, even if it's only a matter of 3 or 4 minutes while you get in and out of the car!  You are going to trigger, period!  We're talking about the laws of chemistry here and you can't fool them.

Yet, once you trigger, then what you did is PERFECTLY 100% CORRECT!  You got to a place where you could cool your body core temperature down, you took medicine, and you rested!   PERFECT SCORE FOR KIM!!

The only thing you didn't know is that you aren't medicated properly and you didn't keep resting.  You didn't stop the wave, you only wiped it up a bit.  If you were on proper medication, Kim, then you would have stopped the wave.

I know because you are not properly medicated, you're not in a good spot as far as combating it all  Your zyrtec isn't high enough and yes, you need it twice a day an the zantac too.  

I'll bet too, Kim, that you would responde very well to singulair, but you are going to have to wait for Afrin to put you on that one, dear.  It's terrific medicine and has given me a lot of stability to the point I almost dont'feel sick anymore!  This is what I am hoping for you!!!!!!!! Smiley

I hope this helps!!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 06/16/11 at 10:08:31

[color=#ff0000]ANAPHYLAXIS IS MY VERY VERY WORST MASTO THING
please read and get an epi pen as this is important..I use one to get me to the hospital for more treatment
redbird
the word writer

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 06/17/11 at 01:28:37

Kim, I am doing the same thing right now.  Something set me off yesterday, and now I had these same symptoms last night.  I was ready to go to the ER again, but warded it off with two Benedryl and a Zantac.  Going to take it easy today and see how it goes.

I hate the nausea/pass out thing.  That makes me feel so awful, and I always seem to get it in the middle of the night, right after I wake up.

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #11 - 06/17/11 at 04:42:59

Hey Jill,

Is it humid there in Michigan? It is humid here, thus making our temps feel much higher than they are. I felt yucky yesterday, also, and I think weather contributed to that. This morning I went outside and instantly got a hitamine headache. I decided to double my meds this morning and be proactive. Not helping much, though, as I have to keep running to the bathroom and the headache still lingers....

My remedy will be to add a singulair and continue to double my meds this afternoon.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 06/20/11 at 11:29:11

Yes, it's terribly humid here Deb.  I agree, that sets me off as well.  Had an attack last night.  I went out bike riding during the day and stayed up too late.  I think I overdid it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print