Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
UBI in the Knife and Gun Club - The Secret Language of Doctors & Nurses Richard Conniff (Read 4817 times)
Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
UBI in the Knife and Gun Club - The Secret Language of Doctors & Nurses Richard Conniff
06/13/11 at 18:17:03

UBI in the Knife and Gun Club
The secret language of Doctors and Nurses
By Richard Conniff

Smithsonian Magazine Oct 2009

Young doctors these days get trained to talk nice, think pretty thoughts and steer clear of malpractice lawyers.  So the colorful subculture of medical slang is probably CTD (“circling the drain”), if not DOA (“dead on arrival”), and that may be a good thing.  It was probably a little insensitive when doctors sticking a pulmonary artery catheter into a plus-sized person referred to it as “harpooning”.  And it was never great bedside manner to remark that a newly arrived motorcycle crash victim was GPO (“good for parts only”).  

But the bad old days, when medical life was more free-wheeling, “MASH-style humor was commonplace.  Patient reports were safely stashed away in the back office, so doctors felt free to scribble cryptic little notes to themselves, like FLK (“funny looking kid”) or even FLK with GLM (“good looking mom”).  The LOL in NAD (“little old lady” in ”no acute distress”) was the bread-and-butter of many medical practices, at least until she got transferred to the ECU (“eternal care unit”).  Or sometimes her family dumped her at the Knife and Gun Club (“emergency room”) without cause, generally as they were racing off on vacation.  When that happened , the language used by harried ER staffers tended to become unprintable.

If patients had trouble understanding instructions, doctors sometimes labeled them CNS-QNS (“central nervous system – quotient not sufficient”) or just plain NTB (“not too bright”).  In England, where getting “pissed”, or drunk, at the local pub was a popular route to CNS-QNS, doctors often categorized patients as PFO, PGT or PDE (“pissed, fell over” “pissed, got thumped”, “pissed, denies everything”).   Less diagnostically precise, though still usefull, was the bruised and battered catchall category UBI (“unexplained beer injury”).

To be fair, doctors often directed their callous argot not just at patients but also at one another.  Depending upon specialty, a doctor could be a “gas passer”, “nose picker”, “crotch doc”, or “rear admiral”.  Surgeons were “knife happy” or “slashers” while “fossil docs” learned everything they knew back when mustard plasters were cutting edge.

Especially for interns and residents, “developing our own private lingo made us part of a club (or gang) who looked out for each other,” one middle aged doctor recalls.  They shared the experience of getting PIMPED (“put in my place”)  by a hostile elder firing questions drill-sergeant style.   For the real horrors of their work, referring to blood as “the house red” or to burn victims as “crispy critters” put the pain at a bearable distance.

The slang was no doubt also a way to vent unwholesome attitudes.  Categorizing a patient as FOS (which does not mean “full of sense”) or suffering from TMB (“too many birthdays”) probably would not meet the standards of modern compassionate care.  So good riddance, to be sure.

And yet a part of me also regrets the idea that doctors now get discouraged from even thinking, must less expressing, what any human being in their position might naturally feel.  The other day, for instance, I shoed up at my eye doctor to get new glasses.  The nurse led me through the usual tests, and I wound up sheepishly admitting what had happened to my old glasses.  We need not get into all the messy details here.  Let’s just say that it involved storing my glasses in my shoes and, later, walking around for a while before I noticed that something underfoot felt oddly crunchy.

The nurse looked at me for a moment, possibly searching for a UBI, or trying to decide if I was a pumpkin (“you shine a light in the ear and the entire skull lights up”).

Then she murmured to herself “NTB” and I could hardly disagree with her diagnosis.
Cheesy

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: UBI in the Knife and Gun Club - The Secret Language of Doctors & Nurses Richard Conniff
Reply #1 - 06/14/11 at 17:39:13

LOLOLOL!!  But, boy would I be angry if they used any of those on me!! Angry   Oh, yes, I'm sure they already have!  I can think of a few new ones, too.   Wink

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: UBI in the Knife and Gun Club - The Secret Language of Doctors & Nurses Richard Conniff
Reply #2 - 06/14/11 at 22:13:47

I'll bet you anything that NTB has been used on me way too many times!  haha!  At least for my taste!   But then, how often I've walked out of the doctor's office thinking the VERY SAME THING of him!  Grin

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 10/17/11 at 08:09:03

Too funny !
LOL, ROFL, & LMAO each time I read this  Grin
Thanks- laughter is free medicine ! I recently read a book
called "Velva Jean Learns to Drive". Really good book, couldnt put it down and made me LOL.
Lisa; Im also a member of the NTB club- cant tell you how many times Ive "lost" my glasses while they were on my head... Roll Eyes
lori

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print